What Do You Buy at Dollar Tree?

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, I admit it. I love getting something useful for a buck. My favorite buys at Dollar Tree are:

• reading glasses
  • electronic stuff (like 12 v to USB adapter or cables)
  • small items for the camper like a dish pan and drainer and suction cup hooks
  • drawer baskets
  • kitty litter for oil spills
  • battery operated LED lights
  • craft items like foam core board
  • notebooks and office supplies
  • desiccant packets

Any bargains I'm missing?

I'm hooked on their cleaning and dish brushes. I buy 10 at a time to always be ready to scrub.

Alkaline batteries. A 4-pack of AA or AAA for...$1!

I used to buy the 48 pack at costco, but even at that count they were ~ $0.48 each, almost double the $0.25 at DT.

Make sure you get the Alkaline type (currently Sunbeam labeling), NOT 'super-heavy-duty', which are old, old tech and not a good value at all compared to alkaline.

-ERD50

Paint brushes. At only $1, you can throw them away rather than cleaning...
Yea, but watch the ones with really coarse bristles. I did a paint job that looked like I used a broom. :LOL:

Nothing, lately. It makes me feel poor again just to go in there, and that starts all sorts of odd psychological contortions. All in all, I seem to spend less if I stay away.

Toys for the kids. Art/craft supplies for the kids. Medicine of all sorts. Kids flouride mouthrinse. Some food items (spices, minced garlic, salad dressing come to mind). Clear tape. Flower seeds. Party favors. I wish they sold bottles of wine.

I'm glad we finally have a Dollar Tree in the neighborhood! The kids love to spend their allowance money at Dollar Tree, although they occasionally buy total crap.

Gift wrapping tissue. Dollar-store variety costs less than 1/2 what the department stores charge, works well enough, and gets thrown away by the recipient either way.

Amethyst

We have independent dollar stores around here although a Dollar Tree store is a short drive away. Over the years I have bought greeting cards, belts, rubber dishwashing gloves, and various cables and adapters for phone and computer. I have even bought pencil leads for my mechanical pencil. All kinds of odds and ends.

coffee 7-oz vacuum bag
Shampoo, conditioner, bodywash
toothpaste, toothbrush, dental rinse
laundry detergent
assorted cleaners

Dishwashing liquid, greeting cards and coloring books.

Right, I forgot greetings cards. They don't look too cheesy for 50 cents

Nothing, lately. It makes me feel poor again just to go in there, and that starts all sorts of odd psychological contortions. All in all, I seem to spend less if I stay away.

Not me. I look around and say "Hey, I can afford anything in the place". :LOL:

Me too! Have never forgotten the days when my dollars - and dimes - had to be rationed, and my purchases agonized over.

Amethyst

Not me. I look around and say "Hey, I can afford anything in the place". :LOL:

I get holiday decor and party supplies. We got a dozen hurricane glasses there for a mardi-gras party for about the same price as plastic, and used them for years.
Fake flowers and seasonal stuff is a good value there as well. Fake tealight candles are 3 for a buck - cheaper than buying the batteries separately.
I'm still too picky about brands to get any foods or soap type stuff there.

In the how much has dollar tree cost you. I put a wooden spoon in dishwasher-it fell apart and plugged up the holes in the sprayer.
I used to buy laundry soap there til I got my front loader.
Cans of soup there cost .18 more then Aldi for an off brand. Never buy TP there-cheap is not worth it.

greeting cards
puzzle books
wooden clothespins (for crafts and gardening to hold the row cover)
wooden craft sticks 100/$1 - good as a cheap small plant marker
silicone spatulas
small batteries for watches, pedometers, etc.
Luau net that is happily supporting my peas as they grow and twine up it
plastic zip ties
gift bags
cutting board
dental floss (Reach brand)
helium balloons
pens

There are many things there that are poor quality and I've bought my share of them, but there are certainly things that are much cheaper than at other stores and decent quality for their purpose.

Recently got 10 plastic containers with lids for a buck (actually got 40 of 'em) They're just big enough to hold 1 oz of nuts. I buy nuts at Sam's and split 'em up into these little 10 cent containers. Then I know when to stop eating, hehe.

PS: I never buy food or anything taken internally at the Dollar Tree...too many stories of contaminated stuff from China.

Back
Top Bottom