What do you spend your money on?!?

I forgot to mention that I occasionally spend money on "Little Souls Dolls ". They are handmade dolls made by artist Gretchen Wilson and dressed in antique children's clothes . I am a sucker for them . Here are a few of mine .

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 3
sushi, books.

books, sushi.

Eating out at my favorite Japanese restaurant generally involves sushi, and I bring a book.

It's my big weekly (more or less) thrill.

Sad, I know :D

ta,
mew

sushi, books.

books, sushi.

Eating out at my favorite Japanese restaurant generally involves sushi, and I bring a book.

It's my big weekly (more or less) thrill.

Sad, I know :D

ta,
mew
No saki?

Travel is our biggest expense that most folks would call a splurge, but much of our travel is home leave and paid by megac*rp. Once we FIRE most of our travel will be domestic, and most will be in the "yet to be acquired" RV or trailer (which will be a well considered splurge when we finally get to it). Other things are exercise equipment, computers (big ones at home, netbooks to travel), occasional blunders (like a $900 or so iPhone bill, acquired by just turning the doggone thing on for a week while overseas and not turning off automatic email checks, video camera battery dropped thru the cracks of a hiking bridge, etc).

We don't eat out much anymore...tired of it, can't eat as much as I could before, the portions sizes just keep getting bigger, and lots of places aren't happy when you share a meal. Even then, one meal can be more than the two of us can eat if we have also ordered an appetizer to share.

R

After 35 years of LYBM and then having my mega-corp options hit the big time (even followed by a 70% meltdown now improved to 50%) we spend it on anything that pleases us (travel, kids and cars mostly).

SWR is still below 3.2% and who knows what the future will hold. Was it Bernstein who suggested that a 30 year retirement was impossible, no matter what WR was assumed, for those in continental Europe retiring any time between 1900 and 1946?

Good food (grocery and farmer market)

Person who does yard work

Person who does house work

Occasional electronic gadget

In my dictionary (Merriam Webster), "asceticism" was only defined as "the practice of self-denial, austerity", so I thought it was appropriate... YMMV. I guess it depends how literal you want to be!;)

Just teasing. I simply googled it and the on-line Merriam Webster is "practicing strict self-denial as a measure of personal and especially spiritual discipline"

The Oxford English on-line dictionary is "strictly self-disciplined and avoiding any sensory pleasures or luxuries."

...but I got a giggle at the Wikipedia definition which I know is a lot less reliable than Meriam-Webster or OED.

Good food (grocery and farmer market)

Person who does yard work

Person who does house work

Occasional electronic gadget

Also have been giving money away (small amounts to personal causes).

DW spends her cash on Scrap Booking stuff.

Mine would be electronic gadgets, computer stuff, xbox games for grand kids,

However, it is not much different in RE as it was when we w#rked. We pay the bills, insure reserves funds are there, and spend the rest on what ever we want to at the time.

We give quite a bit to our church and to kids/grandkids.
We don't dine out much but we do spend freely for the groceries we like.
Travel is important to us. We take 5 to 7 trips per year, mainly in the western U.S.

Food, travel, electronics, kids (still). I don't feel like we scrimp.

Most of our discretionary income is going to savings right now. After retirement we found that we could have lots of time or lots of money, but not both. That's part of the reason I went back to work, and the bulk of the money I'm earning now we'll spend when I'm not working. I'd like to travel more but DW does not travel well, so instead I bought a small boat ($2k with 5hp outboard and gear) and a motorcycle ($12k). While the acquisition cost of the bike was fairly high, at almost 50 mpg it's cheap to run. I couldn't sell her on the idea of a travel trailer.

While the weather is decent the motorcycle is enough for me. Since we didn't grow up in this area there are still surprises to be found and I like to just follow a road to see where it goes. I may end up getting some camping gear to take on the bike to extend that.

I'm also thinking of a bicycle for the C&O Canal, but I'd have to truck the bicycle there and that's a pain, and I'm not sure I'd use it often enough to make the purchase/storage worthwhile. Bicycling on roads around here is not an option as one would have a life expectancy of about 20 minutes. I'll probably find a used one eventually and if I like it a lot may invest in a very nice one.

DW spends a lot of time dealing with her family's issues of an 83-year-old father who doesn't want to admit that his driving days are nearly over and that he can't afford the house he's in, and a learning-challenged niece with two working parents. What she does costs little or nothing but takes a lot of time - she's over there usually about 3 times a week. She's put almost 90,000 miles on a 6-year-old car, the bulk of it running back and forth so there is that expense, and the coming expense of replacing the car when it does wear out. We'll get a Honda Fit or something similar then.

We do eat well at home, perhaps four times a month at a wide range of restaurants.

I scared up a couple of jobs from my old employer last year for discretionary spending money and am doing the same this year, though to a much lesser extent.

Inflatable kayak
recumbent bike
RV trip to texas, stayed in very nice "campground" outside the world birding center
baby stuff, including clothes, crib, urban assault stroller, etc.
beading supplies
electronics

Next year I anticipate the discretionary spending will mostly be for another winter trip, plus maybe a train trip.

Netflix at $30/month (4 discs + Blu-Ray).
Cable w/HD and DVR $100/month.
Eating out $300/month.
Various Martial Arts training/trips (variable, has been as much as $200/month)
Cats $200+/month (we've had several sick cats in the last year)
Lawn mowing $100/month -- not going to do that myself
Rarely used land phone line $36/month

Of course, health care (including insurance) this year trumps everything else at $1300/month for the two of us, but then that's not really discretionary spending.

Good idea, we always order that, also with Vietnamese food.:) It does feel like we are living it up.

I thought I would spend more on eating out but find that in retirement it’s easy to keep the kitchen stocked and to make my own healthful foods. So, that frees up part of the budget for other things. Also, being away from the house for fewer hours than when I w*rked means I don’t get hungry when I’m out.

Biggest recent splurge was opera tickets. SO & other friends can be dragged to the opera house once a year or two and I actually like to go by myself without the distraction of someone who doesn’t want to be there. They sold me a subscription in the first row, dead center of my preferred section which is a very good deal. I also budget a lot for various theater & music events. I’ve stopped buying CDs, there are too many in the house.

There seems to be some slack in my budget so I’m reconsidering hiring a cleaning lady again, maybe well into next year, no rush. I don’t seem to need much new stuff or clothes as I have too much and the major things like TV & other electronics are still good.

I get $25 coupons from Amazon.com every month or two and have a little trouble spending them, the last one went for a book and three packages of ground coffee; I added $11.00 to that order but would have bought coffee anyway. I could confine my frivolous splurges to those coupons. I’m buying a lot of books & magazines for the Kindle and now prefer getting the morning news that way.

I get $25 coupons from Amazon.com every month or two and have a little trouble spending them, the last one went for a book and three packages of ground coffee; I added $11.00 to that order but would have bought coffee anyway. I could confine my frivolous splurges to those coupons. I’m buying a lot of books & magazines for the Kindle and now prefer getting the morning news that way.

I bought a Kindle this year (about a month before they dropped the price). So far, I've only purchased one regularly priced book. I "bought" several FREE books, but have not enjoyed those at all.

What did you do to start receiving the $25.00 coupons? (probably by actually BUYING a book once in a while:blush:)

What did you do to start receiving the $25.00 coupons? (probably by actually BUYING a book once in a while:blush:)

When you go to buy something from Amazon a window pops up saying, sign up for our credit card and take $30 off your order. I've been using that CC for several years now, the $25 coupons/certificates are their rewards program.

Splurges:

- Frequent travel (3 major trips a year plus several small ones)
- Eating out (though much less now that I travel for work all the time)
- Opera (season ticket holder) & classical music concerts
- Singing lessons

I love the opera and am willing to forgo eating out for a year if I had to choose between eating out and season tickets! Like CuppaJoe, I stopped forcing DH to go. It's not so much the money but the fact that it's a torture to him. When I know he is suffering through the acts, it's hard for me to enjoy it. I usually just go by myself.

The bonus is that the local ibrary has a good collection of opera music so I never have to spend money on CDs. :)

I spend my money on massages, spiritual books/workshops/retreats, art supplies, massage supplies and schooling, books, music, eating out, weekends at the lake, soft bedding ( I love sleeping), and comfortable clothes.

I have tracked expenses for years, accounting for just about everything. The big stuff looks something like this:
Mortgages on 2 homes - 31%
Food - 10%
Gas - 4%
Real Estate Taxes - 6%
Kids bleeding me dry - about 12%

In just a few years college loans will be far and above the biggest expense as the mortgages wind down and the ravenous teenagers are eating someplace else.

On the discretionary side, which is probably the intended question of this thread, travel eats up the majority since it chews thousands at a time. Cellphone, broadband, HDTV is a relatively big expense but we use these services all the time so I don't mind.

Now we're spending money on gardening; in the fall and winter it will be home improvements (all the big stuff is done, though).

I dislike travel. We just came back from a trip to San Diego where son #2 got married. I got tired of paying $9.50 for a bowl of oatmeal and $5 for a cuppa coffee. We travelled there first class, which we haven't done in several years, and I'll say: "first class isn't what it used to be"!

We have four cruises planned to the caribean in Jan. and Feb. to escape the cold.

FOUR cruises? Wow, you must really like it aboard. I guess if you are retired you can search for last minute bargains?

Biggest recent splurge was opera tickets. SO & other friends can be dragged to the opera house once a year or two and I actually like to go by myself without the distraction of someone who doesn’t want to be there. They sold me a subscription in the first row, dead center of my preferred section which is a very good deal. I also budget a lot for various theater & music events. I’ve stopped buying CDs, there are too many in the house.

I've stopped buying CDs too. I have a great and quite eclectic collection and now I am loading my favourites on my Blackberry (with 8 GB memory card). The sound quality is excellent.

Kindle Content, there is plenty of Good Quality for Free

I bought a Kindle this year (about a month before they dropped the price). So far, I've only purchased one regularly priced book. I "bought" several FREE books, but have not enjoyed those at all.:blush:)

Actually I've found Amazon has gotten quite liberal in giving away "free" books, typically early books in a given well regarded series to get you hooked so you'll spring for the pay to play content later. They were not overly forthcoming when the Kindle 1 was new, but now I expect the Kindle 2 is faltering in a weak economy and with little reason for early adopters to upgrade, Amazon is trying harder in their marketing efforts.

But seriously, the amount of completely free quality free content the IGBW and I have found so far is astounding! We will never be able to read it all. Keep in mind anything in PDF, not to mention nearly any other format is will translate into Kindle's PRC or MOBI formats. Not just old classics from your HS summer reading lists but current stuff is out there and waiting to be read. We use the library on a regular basis as well, the Kindle is just another way to enjoy a good book. It's a matter of having the time (oh yah we're FIRE we HAVE THE TIME) to go out there on the net and find where folks have kindly left Kindle content for you. It's kinda like when you find that newspaper or magazine someone leaves you in the Diner after they are finished with it.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom