Join Early Retirement Today

What do you spend your money on?!?
Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

What do you spend your money on?!?

Based on a number of recent threads, it is clear that we, as a group, don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes, watches and phone service among many other things...

If I were a non-LBYMer stumbling upon this site for the first time, I might be shocked and turned off by the asceticism of our little community. What is the fun of FIRE if it seemingly requires taking a vow of poverty, one might ask...

Since many of us have low fixed expenses, it begs the question, what else do we spend our money on? Travel seems to be a popular splurge but what else? Home improvement projects, hobbies, eating out, gardening, gadgets, cars/motorcycles/RVs, gourmet/organic food, etc?

For me it's mostly traveling, home improvements /furnishings, gifts, and to a smaller extent electronics and clothes.

What about you?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd have to say travel , home improvements , gifts ,my grandson and clothes ( I love JJill clothes ).

Old 07-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Based on a number of recent threads, it is clear that we, as a group, don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes, watches and phone service among many other things...

If I were a non-LBYMer stumbling upon this site for the first time, I might be shocked and turned off by the asceticism of our little community. What is the fun of FIRE if it seemingly requires taking a vow of poverty, one might ask...

Since many of us have low fixed expenses, it begs the question, what else do we spend our money on? Travel seems to be a popular splurge but what else? Home improvement projects, hobbies, eating out, gardening, gadgets, cars/motorcycles/RVs, gourmet/organic food, etc?

For me it's mostly traveling, home improvements /furnishings, gifts, and to a smaller extent electronics and clothes.

What about you?
Quote:
Asceticism (from the Greek: ἄσκησις, áskēsis, "exercise" or "training," in the sense of athletic training) describes a life-style characterized by abstinence from various sorts of worldly pleasures (especially sexual activity and consumption of food and drink) often with the aim of pursuing religious and spiritual goals.
I don't think this describes most on this forum but may be you are more perceptive than I

We spend most of our discretionary spending on travel, sports items (bikes, running shoes, outdoor pursuits..)
Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Home improvement consumes more of our budget (and our time) than any other activity.

But after nine years I think we've finally knocked the top 25 off the list and should be slowing way down. And this time I really mean that!

Over the next four years I suspect our biggest spending will be on college room & board and airfare...

After we empty out the nest then I forecast the next big expense to be Thailand travel.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does freedom count? My savings toward ER is going to buy me freedom from working for others - freedom from work controlling large amounts of my time - freedom to do what I want without being locked into doing things to meet financial needs (like eat).

Other than that, I splurge on my kids. Activities. Books. Paid for college.

My house. It's small and plain, but in a very convenient (and expensive) part of town.

Occasional travel. Occasional tickets to the arts. I'd rather do these less frequently and with better seats/experience so I spend accordingly.

Freedom (again). When I buy food, I buy what I want (healthy choices) and am willing to pay more for it. When I exercise or take up a hobby, I am able to buy the equipment I need to make the experience more rewarding. I usually don't have to spend a lot to do that.

I think there's a wide range of FIRE experiences and "vow of poverty" is just one end of the scale. If I wanted to give up some of my lifestyle I could retire now, but I think it's worth delaying slightly to maintain more than a super simple lifestyle. (Or I'm locked in "one more year" syndrome.) Others have their own ideas of what they want.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

A tiny bit on cheapo electronics (Eee PC was the latest addition for $140).

A decent amount on travel (but currently limited due to very young children). This is really the first year we have done much, and in the last year, we rented a beach house for a week with family, went on a week long Caribbean cruise with family, and flew to Vegas 2x for 5 days each time. But all of that is still only $2500-$3000 total (we are cheap bastards!).

I guess the another splurge might be eating out a lot. We eat out a lot (lunches at work for DW and I). But those are usually cheap, running from $1 to $10 and historically averaging around $5. On a monthly basis it may be running around $200. Not exactly spendthrifts... You got to eat somehow after all.

Other than that, spending is mainly essentials. Mortgage+utilities+upkeep, groceries/household items, childcare, car maintenance, gas and insurance, those types of things.

With full time jobs for DW and I, plus two young kids we keep pretty busy. My hobbies are cheap/free (reading, tech stuff, video/computer games, walking/hiking/nature viewing, etc). Laying in the hammock sipping coffee, reading a book, and watching the kids run around the backyard or swim in the kiddie pool is as relaxing as anything. If that is asceticism, then I'm guilty as charged!

Like others have said - "freedom" is our biggest splurge of all. We save around 50-60% of our gross incomes without really sacrificing anything important. Eventually work will not be a requirement to fund our lifestyles.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
Administrator

Some of my discretionary expenses are:

Travel. We drive up to southern Missouri to check out our tentative ER location several times a year, usually by car, and sometimes for hurricane evacuations.

Electronics. Last year I bought a wireless color laserjet printer, a desktop computer, and a new wireless router.

Restaurants. I eat out as much as my waistline will allow.

Art. I love the paintings and sculptures that I have collected. I probably spend only $200-$300/year on them, but I get tremendous satisfaction from these purchases.

"Antique" furniture. These are usually from the 1920's to 1940's and not terribly expensive. I haven't bought much lately due to our anticipated move north next year, but the last piece I bought was a marble topped, gilt occasional table that cost around $500 in 2007.

Lawn guy. I stopped mowing my lawn myself back in 2005.

Wellesley. Oops, we aren't supposed to include investments? I get a charge out of buying them. Oh well.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #8

Twice a week personal trainer.
Eating out and drinking out (wonder why we need that trainer, huh?) About the same money spent as Fuego.
"Big" travel when we can take the time to do it.
Higher quality food.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Premium liquor, chrome for the motorcycle and anything related to music.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I don't think this describes most on this forum but may be you are more perceptive than I

We spend most of our discretionary spending on travel, sports items (bikes, running shoes, outdoor pursuits..)
In my dictionary (Merriam Webster), "asceticism" was only defined as "the practice of self-denial, austerity", so I thought it was appropriate... YMMV. I guess it depends how literal you want to be!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #11

Travel, good quality food whether it be cooking at home or eating out. Must admit we never go without anything, though fortunately we don't desire expensive things.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #12

Living in a convenient, trendy, and (alas) expensive area. We aren't rich, so prudence put us into a itty bitty apartment.

Shopping at Whole Foods. We walk there. It is part of the convenience of where we live.

Travel. You have a feeling of true freedom when you hear yourself saying:
"Hey, we like it here. Let's stay another month."
However, we have cut back on travel and will stay close to home until the financial and economic situation stabilizes some.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #13

Cell phones: More than an absurd obsession than a hobby that needs treatment.
Crime fiction novels: Buying less of them as my eyesight is getting worse.
Going out with friends every Friday night: More to please my wife than anything. Quite inexpensive outings. But getting bored.
And not much else.
But bear in mind that the cell phone nonsense can easily set me back almost 1.300 bucks a year. But it seems I´m about to conquer the addiction.
Living in the countryside in a very small villagedoesn´t induce spending.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post

Travel. You have a feeling of true freedom when you hear yourself saying:
"Hey, we like it here. Let's stay another month."
That´s exactly what I thought while in London last week. Pity my wife -who enjoyed it more than I-has 14 years of work ahead of her. By the time she retires I´ll be on a wheelchair....
Old 07-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I was just looking at the MSMoney expense report for the past year. It looks like we spend the most money at one category: CreditCard. I haven't broken it down more than that.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Travel, good quality food whether it be cooking at home or eating out.
Yup! Exactly same as us, we travel both overseas and domestically every year, and definitely have splurge on food mainly for cooking at home.

I remember one poster on here who spent an insane amount on blueberries, I forget which thread that was.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

According to that statistics on my discover card account, I spend more on groceries (or supermarket shopping) than anything else over the last 2 years. LBYM for sure, but not very exciting.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Investments, travel, books, eating out, electronics.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Other than rental apartment upgrades and piling up cash to loan out or invest, neither of which fit the spirit of the original question, probably our biggest ongoing expense is airfare and spending money for the gal's monthly trips to take care of her Mom. That gets a blind eye though. We dumped 10s of thousands on dental care, again, blind eye. The '56 Chevy is eating largish amounts as it grows an LT1 and disk brakes and AC and and and. KaChing! Now that's fiscal frivolity!
Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #20

Groceries/food to eat at home...mail order, grocery store, Schwans, etc. Having Whole Foods 2 hours away saves us a lot of money. Moving out of the cornfields and back to a real city is going to be expensive!