What do you want to be when you're 75?

....For all I know, writing books on glamour might be a lifelong avocation where it's difficult to discern when dementia has set in. Cosmetic surgery won't pay for itself during those later years, either, and it's tough to estimate those expenses for an ER budget.

But it certainly qualifies her to write on retirement as much as it qualifies me to write on glamour.

Personally, I would pay anything to read Nords's writing on glamour.:LOL:

Definitely NOT on anyone's payroll for doing something like writing articles (that seems to equate to deadlines, which seems to equate to W*RK! - BLEAH!!!) at 75!

At 75 I want to be 18 again. Barring that I want to be alive, healthy and not working.

On this side of the grass still married to DH. However that is twenty years from now in my case and six in his. Who can really think that far ahead and do you want to?

I'll be 75 and he will be 88. Hummmmm. I'll take it one day at a time and thank the Lord for each one of them.

I think the author expects that one should retire when one is not healthy enough to work anymore. So that means one should only retire when one is too feeble, sick or old to work anymore; which also leaves one too feeble, sick or old to enjoy retirement. That's demented.

LadyPatriot
I think you will discover that quite a few articles written by (still working) authors/journalists, conclude this very same thing.

It IS demented!

Personally, I think many journalists are simply unable to dissociate from the "work ethic" indoctrination that most of us were raised with. And this type of cognitive distortion is the end result. It also might explain inability to recognize that extended leisure can be active, healthy, and psychologically stimulating/satisfying (the opposite of ennui).

Audrey

At 75, fifteen years from now, I want to be still able to ride a motorcycle, fly an airplane, take good photographs, read a good book, and get laid.

Not necessarily in that order.:LOL:

Alive and well.:)

Ditto

Continent

Ditto squared

I want to be one of those yoga doing thin women with great silver hair who are eternally hip ! Well I can dream can't I ?

Eternally hip replacement...

Ditto

At 75, fifteen years from now, I want to be still able to ride a motorcycle, fly an airplane, take good photographs, read a good book, and get laid.

Not necessarily in that order.:LOL:

Or all at once...

Q: What do you want to be when you're 75?

A: Dead.

Q: What do you want to be when you're 75?

A: Dead.

I hope you're kidding.

A couple of weeks back in England we met a cousin of DW's who is 75 and he and his wife had just got back from Germany visiting relatives where he had visited a German Emergency Room after crashing his bike and splitting his head open. He says he'll consider wearing a cycle helmet from now one.

We'll be meeting them again in 2 weeks in Niagara.

I want to be just like them at 75 - extremely active, financially strong, and having a blast in their 15th year of retirement.

Based on family history I expect to be dead by age 75. I'd like to be alive if i'm not in too much pain and can take care of myself. Being physically self-sufficient is the most important thing to be at that age

Mentally I've been 25 for over 24 years, and growing progressively more baffled at what's happening to the rest of me...

I've had the same experience. We go to an annual dinner with the retiree alumni association. Every year I look at the people and think "I used to work with these guys. How'd they get so old?" Then I look in the mirror....:(

I like the T-shirt: "Inside every 80-year-old is an 18-year-old wondering what the hell happened".

I hope you're kidding.

A couple of weeks back in England we met a cousin of DW's who is 75 and he and his wife had just got back from Germany visiting relatives where he had visited a German Emergency Room after crashing his bike and splitting his head open. He says he'll consider wearing a cycle helmet from now one.

We'll be meeting them again in 2 weeks in Niagara.

I want to be just like them at 75 - extremely active, financially strong, and having a blast in their 15th year of retirement.

I would like to be healthy and active at 75 but it's not a choice.
We don't choose our DNA.
AT 75 I'll need a cane (maybe a wheelchair) and a caretaker.

We don't choose our DNA.
Sounds like the makings of a self-fulfilling prophesy - one you might wish to forgo being able to say "I told you so...".

We don't choose our DNA.

You sound like my Dad :cool: (his parents and siblings all died in their 70's, and his wife died at 62).

Even though he didn't actually change his lifestyle to improve his odds (like give up smoking or getting out more) he didn't need a cane until he was 83 and dropped dead at home at 84. He was also a real comic, mentally sharp right to the end.

There's more to life than DNA, be positive and confound science ;)

Healthy, financially well-off...and patting the fanny of a Chippendale dancer.:rolleyes: What else would an old, single babe want at 75?

Healthy, financially well-off...and patting the fanny of a Chippendale dancer.:rolleyes: What else would an old, single babe want at 75?

I had to Google "Chippendale dancer". At first I thought you were into chipmonks (as in Chip'n'Dale) :LOL:

Sounds like the makings of a self-fulfilling prophesy - one you might wish to forgo being able to say "I told you so...".

Peripheral neuropathy has already set in, right on schedule.

Back
Top Bottom