What does the term "ER" mean to U?

Good discussion. I suppose the most important thing is that we each think about what RE means to us.

For me the FI represents not needing earned income to cover household minimum expenses.

For RE, the "R" to me represents no longer having a "job" or being an employee of any type. The "E" part to me means anything earlier than the typical retirement age (65+). I will still pursue interests, potentially making some money, but the money won't be the reason I'm pursuing it. So if that's semi-retirement, then I will never be "retired".

I have a buddy that calls himself "retired" after he quit work about ten years ago at 43 with a chunk of money in the bank. His wife still works full time and gets benefits so there is houshold income. By my definition he's not retired, he's just a "bum with some dough". Retired to me means not needing any household income at all beyond investment income. The question I have is: If you sit around managing your portfolio all day are you really retired ? When I finally get there I don't want to have to sweat the stock market everyday and to me that's work.

Heh heh heh heh heh heh

Sweating the stock market is male(usually), hormonal, and good clean fun - as long as you don't take yourself toooo serious.

At least so far - 13th year of ER. After thirty plus years - Saints:confused: Or should I switch to KC?

Or maybe some more hobby stocks if the season gets painful like last year.

heh heh heh heh heh - lead sled dog is still VG Target Retirement. The rest is entertainment.

Personally, I see little difference between pension income, employer-funded health insurance in retirement, spouse's employment income, one's own part-time or semi-retirement income, or an inheritance for that matter--even generous 401k matching, big bonuses, profit-sharing, deferred compensation of any kind. They all give an outside boost to one's portfolio and its income. And that's fine by me!

Just wanted to get back to "youse guys" and send my thanks for responding.

I guess the "view of retirement status" depends where you are, who you are, and what your circumstances.

I'll just close with this...  For me, retirement is being able to get up in the morning (or night!) and say:

"Today I will...."

In other words, I'll do what I want to - not what I have to.  If my wife is still working to support my "goal", so be it (I needed to get a "dig" into CFB, since he did not offer his comments..)

Anyway, time for another glass of wine (no, I'm still working, so I'm not "retired" - but stay tuned!    ;)  )

- Ron

I'm retired if I think I am.

You're retired if you think you are.

If I think I retired earlier than most people do, i'm early retired.

If you think you retired earlier than most people do, you're early retired.

I'm retired early. Wife works a couple of days a week at most because she wants to and it has its economic advantages.

By paying off the mortgage and cars and holding no debt, and the cash throwoff of investments, i'm "producing" a "cash flow" in excess of 80k a year after taxes.

No job. Nowhere to be at any particular time of day or any day of the week. 44 years old, that seems early.

Now, whats the difference between a couple that neither one works, but they have an annuity or social security as part of the income stream of their investments, and a couple where one works a couple of days a week to produce the same level of income as the annuity? How about a couple that invests in dividend bearing stocks that produce a regular income vs a couple that invests in non-dividend bearing stocks where one works a few days a week?

None that I can see.

Its certainly deceptive and unproductive to say "I'm living off of 300k a year with brains and bullshit" and never mentioning your full time working spouse.

Its another thing to have investments, debt control, and income producing the financially advantageous component of "a job" without actually working for anyone outside the home.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
...Now, whats the difference between a couple that neither one works, but they have an annuity or social security as part of the income stream of their investments, and a couple where one works a couple of days a week to produce the same level of income as the annuity?  How about a couple that invests in dividend bearing stocks that produce a regular income vs a couple that invests in non-dividend bearing stocks where one works a few days a week?

None that I can see.

The difference is that in one scenario, someone is working and in the other scenario nobody is working.

Sorry, but someone had to make the money first to 'prime' the annuity or 'earn' the social security, or set up and manage the investments.

Or does 'work' require consistency and continuity?

That would mean you're retired on weekends and vacations, and when you're a teenager?

I guess my point is that this whole concept is resistant to hard definition. If I feel like I am and I wanna be, I am.

If you dont feel like I am, well...I think my grandpa had a saying although I'll make it a little nicer. Put that in one hand and spit in the other and see which one fills up first. :)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Sorry, but someone had to make the money first to 'prime' the annuity or 'earn' the social security, or set up and manage the investments.

Exactly.  Annuities and social security benefits are the fruits of labor.  Work by itself is just plain labor.

unclemick2 said:
Heh heh heh heh heh heh

At least so far - 13th year of ER. After thirty plus years - Saints:confused: Or should I switch to KC?
Now you've really done it. Turned into an atheist. :)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I'm retired if I think I am.

You're retired if you think you are.

cool!!! Ok--I'm retired!!

now, off to work....

Back
Top Bottom