What ever Happened to Bob Smith?

C

Cut-Throat

While searching for an old post, I came across some of Bob Smith's old posts. He disappeared from this forum rather suddenly. He was one of my favorite posters. Very astute financially too! - He did not leave in a huff - far from it! - all of sudden he was gone!

Has anyone ever heard from him again? - I believe he was from Iowa. I think ESRbob may have contacted him for a book.

Anyway I really fear the worst. - His departure was exactly like a death. :'(

I tried to PM him several times over the past many months but never got a reply. I fear the worst.

Cut-Throat said:
While searching for an old post, I came across some of Bob Smith's old posts. He disappeared from this forum rather suddenly. He was one of my favorite posters. Very astute financially too! - He did not leave in a huff - far from it! - all of sudden he was gone!
Has anyone ever heard from him again? - I believe he was from Iowa. I think ESRbob may have contacted him for a book.
Anyway I really fear the worst. - His departure was exactly like a death. :'(
sgeeeee said:
I tried to PM him several times over the past many months but never got a reply. I fear the worst.
Same symptoms with Hyperborea, but certainly not the same reaction...

GDER just sort of wandered off to his next timeshare vacation, too.

We have over 40 pages of users who've bothered to register but never to post. Are the Google ads really that bad?!?

i could never figure out why if you have enough interest to read others posting why large groups of people just never post or have anything to say.

mathjak107 said:
i could never figure out why if you have enough interest to read others posting why large groups of people just never post or have anything to say.

I have wondered about that myself. OTOH, some of us kind of offset
the "silence of the lurkers" don't you think? :)

JG

I have thought about this (posters who just disappear) and can think of many reasons for it. Obviously if the Forum lasts look enough and the
group is large enough, the grim reaper (or as my Dad once said -----
"The Green Raper" :) ) will take some of us. It's a statistical certainty.

JG

You're right JG, I was a chat host for a senior chatroom, they were in need of hosts because they were losing them left and right. While I was there we lost one as well as a few members, it really bothered me and I had to stop hosting there. Unless a poster leaves instructions for someone to post for them who would know when someone was gone to the great forum in the sky.

Heck, I'm still wondering about CFB.

When CFB stopped posting, he had just started a thread about working on a new will. I hope he'll let us know what he decided to do. DH and I should really work on ours again and could use some pointers.

Count me among those who miss seeing posts by Hyperborea and Bob Smith :(.

2B said:
Heck, I'm still wondering about CFB.
astromeria said:
When CFB stopped posting, he had just started a thread about working on a new will. I hope he'll let us know what he decided to do. DH and I should really work on ours again and could use some pointers.
Every poster is supposed to register with a valid e-mail address, and when you send a PM to a poster then a notification is sent to that e-mail address.

So guys like CFB can be contacted by PM even if their e-mail address is not displayed. That's how we checked on Jarhead...

Mr._johngalt said:
I have thought about this (posters who just disappear) and can think of many reasons for it.

Attachments

• TheBeaverKnows.jpg
    TheBeaverKnows.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 31
  • TheBeaverKnows.jpg_thumb
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
Sorry! I have no control over the stuffed beaver.

Well, certainly hope Bob Smith is OK, but this does raisethat philosophical question ... if you remain logged in to the Early Retirement Forum, does this mean you cannot really die ... ;)

I think we did a bunch of stuff to try and find if he was OK without any luck.

Miss him.

I remember reading some of his posts (Bob Smith's) and liking them, and I liked Hyperborea's and CFB's posts, too.

Now, where is lazygoodfornothinbum? I am getting tempted to revive the "peculiarities" thread to rouse him out.

yep, haven't heard from lazygoodfornothing in a while, hope all is well with him too.

Martha sent lazygood4nothinbum a PM back in August after he'd been absent from the board for a while. He replied that he was OK, had learned a lot about the financial side of retirement from the forum, but had decided to move on.

This thread has me wondering what ever happened to D.B. Cooper?

Ha

D. B. Cooper has a secret room in Tim's Timber Tavern near Cougar, Washington - sells T shirts and hat's to tourist's in summer - get's his jolleys cause nobody recognizes him.

heh heh heh - note that the volcano stuff outsell's D.B. by a wide margin nowadays.

unclemick2 said:
D. B. Cooper has a secret room in Tim's Timber Tavern near Cougar, Washington - sells T shirts and hat's to tourist's in summer - get's his jolleys cause nobody recognizes him.

heh heh heh - note that the volcano stuff outsell's D.B. by a wide margin nowadays.

I still have a mason jar of volcanic ash that I collected from the boat of a guy who had been coming across Snoqualmie Pass that morning. His boat was filled with ash.

Still, D.B. is the man. To jump out of an airplane over the Cascades in a middle of the night in a business suit for $200,000 is some feat.

Ha

HaHa said:
Still, D.B. is the man. To jump out of an airplane over the Cascades in a middle of the night in a business suit for $200,000 is some feat.

Adjusted for inflation that would be well over $1MM today. The difference between bravado and foolhardy is whether you survive.

None of the money has ever been spent/recovered in circulation. There were some bills found in a river downstream of his drop area. The guy never made it. Some bear in the Cascades has his final epitaph -- tasty.

2B said:
The difference between bravado and foolhardy is whether you survive.... Some bear in the Cascades has his final epitaph -- tasty.

Yep. He parachuted from the rear stairs of a 727, at 10,000 feet, at a speed of over 200 MPH, at night, in a freezing rainstorm, with winds gusting over 80 MPH, over the Cascades, with no survival gear. The only thing that lived was his legend.

HaHa said:
To jump out of an airplane over the Cascades in a middle of the night in a business suit for $200,000 is some feat.
Any fool can jump from an airplane, but it takes a properly trained fool to survive the landing.

"Rono" over at FundAlarm swears that he knew D.B. in Vietnam as an Army sergeant. The guy had a reputation for engaging in black market or drug deals with the (South) Vietnamese Army, getting his hands on the money, popping a CS grenade, and escaping. Eventually the South Vietnamese requested that D.B. be sent home, where I guess he embarked on another career. No word whether D.B. was an Airborne graduate, but I'm guessing that even if he was he never took the advanced 727 tail-ramp training...

Back
Top Bottom