What ever I say, it ain`t good enough.

If you want sympathy, tell folks you are unemployed. When they ask if you are looking for a job, ask them "Why?" If they ask how the job search is going, ask them "What job search?"

I think I will use this for a while once I finally pull the plug. But, not looking for sympathy; rather, looking forward to the confused expressions I expect this response to elicit.

I just posted this on another thread, but it actually fits a little better on this one. I, too, have been dealing with other people's opinions lately. :)

Recently my SIL began giving me a hard time about retiring early. "Why aren't you looking for a job?" she said. "You have so much to offer."

I decided to try to change her perspective. "What if I told you that I DO have a new job?" I said. "What if I told you that I have recently been hired to manage a large financial portfolio for an important private client? I am in charge of all aspects of his retirement finances, his investments, his withdrawal strategies, even his day to day spending. It is a job that requires me to be on call at all times and be constantly learning and researching new approaches. Would that be an important job? Would that be 'offering' something?"

"Yes, that sounds like an important job", she replied.

"Well, that is my job now," I said. "But I am the important client that I mentioned. I guess you would consider it a real job if I were doing this for someone else. But managing my retirement portfolio for myself is my job now. I manage it like a business. The more I make, and the less I spend, the more I keep. While it may appear to you that I don't work, I am actually constantly working. And I work for myself. And it's the best job I ever had."

She still could not get her mind around it. But this perspective has helped me deal with some of the guilt and uncertain feelings I have had during my transition from traditional work.

Well there's one thing for sure. I don't wake up every weekday dreading the next 8 to 12 hours working and commuting.

Even though for the most part I enjoyed my career, I used to absolutely loathe Sunday nights. Starting late afternoon it was the building anxiety over what the new week would bring. Thursday nights were usually the best, Fridays generally lighter days, especially after noon, and now every night is a Thursday night! I do think of the poor bas__rds I worked with on Sunday night though!

OP.....perhaps you are too young. I think there comes a point in life where you don't care what others think.......just wait a few more years :LOL:

Eh, give them your polite answer and if they will not take the hint just tell them that you masturbate a lot.

You have to consider the source...I think the people that ask questions like, "what do you do all day", are boring people that have no imagination and interests in this wonderful world we live in. They don't know any better because they have not been exposed to doing fun things and therefore don't know what living is really about. Poor souls. What empty boring lives they must have. Is there no passion in their lives? The question goes both ways...

I wonder what all those rich kings and dictators do all day...

Been early retired now for 5 years, doing well, have a few hobbies and I`m content, don`t do much traveling but I never really wanted to. Biggest problem or pain is lots of people ask "What do you do?

"I'm retired, and nearly broke. Could you loan me some money?"

>:D

Back
Top Bottom