Fees - Enough Already

One two punch. After the fees you get asked to fill out a survey :mad:.

It's like when you buy a car - they add on a document handling fee. They add on the maximum allowed by State law and then when you ask what it is, the wordsmith the answer to make it sound like they're saying that it's required by the State. Such BS. In one sense I pay it but since I negotiate an out the door price, I don't really care how they break it out.

I agree with you. I tell them that I'm not paying them $100s for them to do their paperwork, especially when it is all automated these days.

I've had them insinuate that the doc fee was required by law and I told them that was BS and they didn't know what they were talking about. Then they said that they can't take it off because it is pre-printed on the form and I said fine, reduce the negotiated price by the doc fee and we are good. They agreed rather than me walk out the door. I think the fact that I had my checkbook out in front of me and opened helped.

The last transaction I did was a little different in that it was a high-demand vehicle that I had ordered and I was "only" paying MSRP and the doc fee seemed reasonable in the circumstances so I didn't bother to object to it.

I think it’s a mistake to associate a fee with the descriptor used by the vendor. They may call it document fee or service fee but in reality it’s an add-on to the price, designed to bypass or evade price comparison tools, and not disclosed until the closing. In addition to auto dealers, airlines and hotels are also expert at this. I wouldn’t be surprised if car dealers began charging “set up fees” for all the user electronics. They have no shame and apparently will do just about anything for another hundred dollars.

Last time we bought a new car we walked away from the first option because they added a $450 “document fee” to the agreed out the door price when I came in to pay and take delivery.

I always challenge fees if they aren’t disclosed upfront, especially at restaurants. Usually just asking why it wasn’t disclosed is enough to get the fee removed.

My wife remembered, it was from "The grass is always greener over the septic tank" by Erma Bombeck

The couple was purchasing a "standard house" in the burbs for $15,000.

"But everything else is included in the original price?" asked my husband.
"Absolutely. All you have to do is make some decisions regarding the quality of materials. For example, all wiring is borderline standard unless you want to pay extra and have it pass inspection. (We nodded.) I think that's wise. Now about your tub. Do you want it hooked up under your shower?"

We nodded numbly.

"I assumed you did because you already said you wanted to put a car in your garage and that's where we usually store the tub until the owner tells us otherwise. Speaking of storage, you are aware that without the second story, there is a crawl space over your entire house for storage?"

We smiled happily.

"Do you have some way of getting up there or do you want us to install a pull-down stairway as an extra? Let's see--apart from the paint, floor covering, spouting, storm windows, kitchen hardware, countertops, lighting fixtures, and keys, which are all extra, I think that does it."

His fingers fairly raced across the keys of the tabulator as the extras mounted. Finally, he smiled and said, "The final tab is $29,500. Welcome to Frankly Fake!"

As my husband handed back the pen, he smiled, waved it aside, and said, "Keep it. As a token of our mutual faith in one another." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him add, "Pen @ 59 cents" bringing the total to $29,500.59

My wife remembered, it was from "The grass is always greener over the septic tank" by Erma Bombeck

The couple was purchasing a "standard house" in the burbs for $15,000.

"But everything else is included in the original price?" asked my husband.
"Absolutely. All you have to do is make some decisions regarding the quality of materials. For example, all wiring is borderline standard unless you want to pay extra and have it pass inspection. (We nodded.) I think that's wise. Now about your tub. Do you want it hooked up under your shower?"

We nodded numbly.

"I assumed you did because you already said you wanted to put a car in your garage and that's where we usually store the tub until the owner tells us otherwise. Speaking of storage, you are aware that without the second story, there is a crawl space over your entire house for storage?"

We smiled happily.

"Do you have some way of getting up there or do you want us to install a pull-down stairway as an extra? Let's see--apart from the paint, floor covering, spouting, storm windows, kitchen hardware, countertops, lighting fixtures, and keys, which are all extra, I think that does it."

His fingers fairly raced across the keys of the tabulator as the extras mounted. Finally, he smiled and said, "The final tab is $29,500. Welcome to Frankly Fake!"

As my husband handed back the pen, he smiled, waved it aside, and said, "Keep it. As a token of our mutual faith in one another." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him add, "Pen @ 59 cents" bringing the total to $29,500.59

You have just quoted one of my all time favorite books and authors. :D
She was a treasure and taken from us far too soon.

death by 1,000 cuts.

. . .

Exactly

The fees that stack up are the ones that get tacked onto a condo or VRBO/AirBnb rental!

When DH and I attended a wedding last spring in a resort area, we priced some AirBnB's and I got disgusted with the added fees and opted for a hotel (which was fine).

You have just quoted one of my all time favorite books and authors. :D
She was a treasure and taken from us far too soon.

I also enjoyed her comedy and remember that book! :LOL:

+1. I looked into hotel rates at the next oceanside resort we're planning to visit this Spring. Of course there are rates plus the usual hotel fees (why they can't just show totals is beyond me).

I noticed there were VRBO/AirBnb rentals at the same resort closer to the ocean, and when I looked at the base rates, they were about the same as the hotel base rates :confused: Then I looked a little deeper and those fees were ridiculous - WAY more in total than the hotel.

So hotel it is - we don't spend our vacation time in our room anyway, mostly just a place to sleep and shower!

It won't ever happen, but I wish all products and services were required to publish rates WITH all fees. Published (base) prices are often meaningless.

Yep, just rented a large house via AirBnb.

Per-night price was right for our two-night stay.

But another ~$500 for the cleaning fee plus AirBnb's service fee plus taxes.

Last edited:
Yep just rented a large house via AirBnb.

If I had to pay a $300 cleaning fee for a rental, I would leave it a mess.:D

Just ordered carpet for a rental house we're remodeling. Home Depo added a mileage fee of 95 bucks because we're 31 miles from the store. 30 miles = no charge! I called and asked for it to be removed. Surprisingly it couldn't BUT wait, there is a 10% off deal that is available since initial quote. Ended up getting more than $95 off. Somehow I still feel icky, lol. Shouldn't I have gotten the 10% regardless, and dropped off the 95 fee?!

It is just a trick to get you interested. If you saw the whole price up front, you might move on. And yes, it's just like the "wellness fees" and such being added on at the restaurant, so the menu prices won't look so outrageous.

+Of course there are rates plus the usual hotel fees (why they can't just show totals is beyond me).

.[/B]

It won't ever happen, but I wish all products and services were required to publish rates WITH all fees. Published (base) prices are often meaningless.

Another place where a little good law would help.

The phrase "mandatory fee" should be an oxymoron. If its mandatory its also called the "price".

This makes me crazy when I pay my kids tuition bills. Technology fee. Student Services Fee. Healthcare Fee. {xyz discipline} fee they add based on your major.

It can be over $1k per semester and much more in the case of one of the one studying pharmacy. There is a $6k/year pharmacy fee ... even for the year they aren't studying on campus!

These fees are not all new.

About 15 years ago we bought tickets to a local outdoor concert. The heavily advertised price was about $18 per ticket. But once they added on all the junk fees it came out to about $34 per ticket.

I would have canceled the purchase has we not been meeting some other people at the venue.

A local theater told me recently - after I made a comment about their junk fees - that the advertised prices are set by the performer, and do not include any money for the theater. So the junk fees are the only money going to the theater, at least for that one theater.

Yeah that’s why I won’t do short stays for just the two of us.

Although taxes get added to hotel rooms too.

FWIW, I’ve been reading about Airbnb owners finding the market for their property has dropped significantly over the past few months. My recent experiences confirm that AIRBNB prices after adding the fees are often not worth the supposed benefits.

I was interested in buying some real estate at an auction recently. In the sellers description it stated something like "The buyer will pay a 3% buyers premium upon closing".

It appears the real estate auctioneer is burying their fee into the buyer's court.

Our health care provider tries to add a "facility fee" to each visit. The last visit they asked me to sign a form acknowledging the fee. I refused and asked if they wanted me to leave instead of continuing with the visit. They said no, but I would be charged the fee anyway. I said we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. They never charged me the fee. More people need to push back and refuse this nonsense.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s why I won’t do short stays for just the two of us.

Although taxes get added to hotel rooms too.

To be fair this is a 3 bedroom / 2 bath house...4 adults.

Since we wanted both a full kitchen & dining room large enough to host everyone after the funeral.

A reasonable ~$200/night, ~$400 total for the two nights we'll stay.

But another ~$500 for fees & taxes...~$300 for the cleaning fee alone.

Last edited:
We have often been able to get the "resort fee" at certain hotels removed when we said we weren't going to use any of that stuff.

To be fair this is a 3 bedroom / 2 bath house...4 adults.

Since we wanted both a full kitchen & dining room large enough to host everyone after the funeral.

A reasonable ~$200/night, ~$400 total for the two nights we'll stay.

But another ~$500 for fees & taxes...~$300 for the cleaning fee alone.

That's a rip off. So $200/night is very misleading

I was interested in buying some real estate at an auction recently. In the sellers description it stated something like "The buyer will pay a 3% buyers premium upon closing".

It appears the real estate auctioneer is burying their fee into the buyer's court.

That is actually normal for Auctions. Most Auctions have a "Buyer's Premium" Mecum & Bonham charge 10%.

Then there's that second tax, calculated on top the original amount plus the first tax. :angel:

What really burns me up is taxing that infuriating "resort fee". So now you're paying a nonsense fee - AND extra tax on it. I think taxing that fee is ridiculous.

On buying/selling home - there are lots of fees that I reject at/before closing

They will say that they are required, and I’ll say then we move on to a different title company, etc.

They will want charges for a courier, documentation, wire, etc - I’ll say no. We can use usps or I’ll hand carry it. Once they see how obtuse I’ll be, they’ll waive it or someone else coughs it up. Sometimes, the closing will get rescheduled, etc.

All it takes it for the realtors and tithe to realize that I’m serious and they will waive the garbage fees. Usually, my agent will already recognize that through the buying/selling process that we’re no nonsense.

It’s a principle thing for me. I say a purchase price (or selling price), title fee and realtor fee (pre-negotiated) and accrual for taxes. That’s it.

Same with cars - no documentation, service, handling, etc. card is much easier to walk as they’re another one down street or another day they’ll call back to make arrangements. With cars - I’ll say the price is bottom number plus sales tax. Any other fee must be included. I don’t care if you change price down to cover a fee - but this is bottom number plus state mandate tax. I write this on the contract offer. Usually this works except for bogus small charges - (if total is trivial I’ll let it pass, but nothing significant)

AT&T as most others will load up their bill with various fees. But Redpocket will have much less fees. Why?
BTW I’m now implementing a “reader’s fee” to my posts here. $5.00/post. Discounts available for multiple posts. Also might do a subscription for those who read multiple posts.
I take paypal and Venmo. :)

Regardless of fees. $100k to sell a $1.25m home is absolutely daylight robbery! Most folks would have to buy a cheaper home than what they sell!

Back
Top Bottom