What ever I say, it ain`t good enough.

mountain biker

Confused about dryer sheets
Been early retired now for 5 years, doing well, have a few hobbies and I`m content, don`t do much travling but I never really wanted to, biggest problem or pain is, lots of people ask "What do you do?,,, how do you
answer that question, no matter what I tell them, it ain`t good enough.
So now I tell them , I do the same thing people do on the weekends only I do it 7 days a week instead of 2......
I get a lot of "you don`t do nothing", I cann`t win with these people, is it because their still working?

This is my first post, I know a lot of this forum is $ related, I used to read it before I retired, Thanks.

My answer is golf, ride my motorcycle, play with the grandkids, do volunteer work, play my guitar out in bars and that usually quiets them down.

I guess I need to work on my reply...won't be long before I'll need one.

I just blow them off with a not so serious response. I tell them I finally found something I'm good at......doing nothing. And if they follow up with 'You do nothing?' I say 'yup, nothing'. They usually laugh or walk away thinking I'm nuts.:LOL:

now I tell them , I do the same thing people do on the weekends only I do it 7 days a week instead of 2.

That's a perfect answer. If someone still has a question after that, just say "Think about it for a minute."

Some people never fully graduate from high school, and are always trying to point out that other people don't measure up in some way. Don't fall for it. You're happy and that's all that matters. And it drives some folks nuts.

Amethyst

I wonder what my mom does all day, but we both agree we're so busy it's hard to fit in the non-routine stuff.

I am only semi-retired, work a day or two a week. When I get questions about what I do I answer (depending on how I feel and who is asking):

As little as possible

or

You know, I have so much stuff to do that I don't know how I ever found time to work full-time.

Last edited:
I agree with the chuckle and say "Whatever I want".

Then get serious and explain retirement is about options. I really can do what I want. It is a great time in life. I have worked hard to get here, and am very happy (or lucky or whatever) to be at this point in life. I had no clue until I quit w*rk just how nice it would be. The options are endless. Which reminds me, I need to go atke a nap!

You could say "I'm a professional mendicant now. Can you spare a buck or two?" That ought to cut down on the questions.

You have already won. Why try to guild the lilly? Stop expalining and just smile.

Besides it is none of their f**king business what you do or don't do.

Well there's one thing for sure. I don't wake up every weekday dreading the next 8 to 12 hours working and commuting.

If you want sympathy, tell folks you are unemployed. When they ask if you are looking for a job, ask them "Why?" If they ask how the job search is going, ask them "What job search?"

But why would these questions be "a pain"?

So now I tell them , I do the same thing people do on the weekends only I do it 7 days a week instead of 2......

That's an excellent answer. Most people look forward to the weekends, so most people should be able to relate. And it is truthful.

Guess what? If they don't like that answer, it' says more about them than you.

I get a lot of "you don't do nothing", I can't win with these people, ..
Ahhh, you just need to change your perspective. You are doing what you want. You have already 'won'. You don't have to 'win' with these people, who cares? Just enjoy your life.

This is my first post, I know a lot of this forum is $ related, I used to read it before I retired, Thanks.

It's more than $. Plenty of threads on dealing with other aspects of FIRE. Hope to hear more from you soon.

-ERD50

For those who ask that question and can retire (FI) I think "some" of them just want to hear that a retired person doesn't have enough to do to keep them busy (or happy), so it can help them justify continuing to work.

Well, thank you to those that replied, it`s fun getting/reading your thoughts, and Beer Man, yes I love the mountain biking, try to ride 3
to 4 days a week.

I know what you mean MB...I work sporadically during the week and a friend of mine suggested that I get a job at Michael's or something to fill in the gaps in between appointments! I just laughed at let her know that I would rather watch paint dry than work for someone else again! It shut her up :)
I don't really care what people think of my SR status and if they ask, I tell them the truth.

Sister in law who is a stay at home housewife and mother to a 26 year old who is still at home.:facepalm: Asked, "What will he do all day?" when she heard I was retiring.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom