What happened to no-peroxide home hair color??

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
If you don't color your hair, or if you use permanent hair color, this likely won't interest you, but...

I just lost my only known source of non-peroxide home hair color. Clairol sneakily added peroxide to their Natural Instincts non-permanent formula. I suppose other customers got tired of having to re-color every three weeks, but for me, it was worth it, to cover my gray hair so it is the same color as my non-gray hair, without damaging my considerable amount of natural brown hair. My hair is still shiny and bouncy, and the non-peroxide color I was using made it even softer.

Does anyone know of a hair color product that doesn't contain peroxide? Many products say they don't contain ammonia (which makes hair dye smell gross) but "peroxide" is in the ingredients list of every package I've examined.

Amethyst

If you don't color your hair, or if you use permanent hair color, this likely won't interest you, but...

I just lost my only known source of non-peroxide home hair color. Clairol sneakily added peroxide to their Natural Instincts non-permanent formula. I suppose other customers got tired of having to re-color every three weeks, but for me, it was worth it, to cover my gray hair so it is the same color as my non-gray hair, without damaging my considerable amount of natural brown hair. My hair is still shiny and bouncy, and the non-peroxide color I was using made it even softer.

Does anyone know of a hair color product that doesn't contain peroxide? Many products say they don't contain ammonia (which makes hair dye smell gross) but "peroxide" is in the ingredients list of every package I've examined.

Amethyst

Sorry, I can´t help you there:LOL:!

I needed to get an Oregon drivers licence last month. I put down 'blonde with silver', the dmv clerk changed it to 'grey'. Waaaaa.....

Did I miss something? This is spray-on bald-spot coverup, not hair color. Probably belongs in a thread of its own :LOL:
Hey, you did ask for a hair product that was "no-peroxide home hair color" :whistle: .

This product does better. It colors existing hair and fills in those nasty bald spots (women or men). Of course, you could do the same thing with a can of shoe polish (and buff your dome to a shiny, shiny top that can be seen from an airplane :LOL: )....

I needed to get an Oregon drivers licence last month. I put down 'blonde with silver', the dmv clerk changed it to 'grey'. Waaaaa.....
(pardon a momentary hijack please) Your post caught my eye because you wrote "grey", which is how I spell it unless I am thinking and trying to use "gray." I grew up using "grey", but when I use the google link in one of the earlier posts everything comes up "gray".

Does anyone know if this a regional difference, or generational, or what?

Ha

Ha, hijack all you want. You were long since beaten to it by the bald-headed shoe polish contingent :LOL: I believe the sum total of all responses is a resounding, "Nobody (except the OP) gives a darn about this topic."

A.

(pardon a momentary hijack please) Your post caught my eye because you wrote "grey", which is how I spell it unless I am thinking and trying to use "gray." I grew up using "grey", but when I use the google link in one of the earlier posts everything comes up "gray".

Ha

Gray is evidently preferred. When I pronounce Zane Grey and gray there is no difference so it may be regional dialect. No wonder I am spelling impaired.

It's not that we don't care about the topic, we just have the good sense not to give advise about things we know nothing about. My beautician specializes in coloring hair but all I want is a cut.

Ha
Since I live about 10 miles from the original Crayola plant (the original company name being Binney & Smith, and Crayola a product name), I'll use their "color chart" which shows the spelling (blue) gray :LOL: ...

Actually, some ladies use both colors (e.g both Blue and Gray) as they age; maybe it has something to do with the Civil War? :cool: ...

Talk about driving this train off the rails...

Attachments

• Gray.jpg
    Gray.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
Years ago I noticed old women with a blue tint in their white hair. I wonder if that was the result of some hair coloring product.

Ha, hijack all you want. You were long since beaten to it by the bald-headed shoe polish contingent :LOL: I believe the sum total of all responses is a resounding, "Nobody (except the OP) gives a darn about this topic."

A.

Actually, I do care. I like soft hair on a woman, and it is disconcerting when it feels like one of those things you use to scrubb pots and pans.

How about henna? Only works if red will work for you, but it is a much more attractive red then what comes out of most home hair coloring kits.

Henna for Hair - The Science of Henna and Hair

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try henna if I can't find a satisfactory substitute for the original "Natural Instincts." It might look good, since my mother had chestnut hair, my sister's hair used to be red, and I have fair skin, and brown eyes with a greenish cast. Henna is supposed to be a messy PITA to apply, though.

As for the notorious blue hair, I believe that results from overuse of a product that is meant to correct the natural "yellowing" that happens to white hair. I always wondered why such ladies didn't go blonde. Perhaps there simply comes a point where the scalp is too sensitive to accept hair coloring.

Amethyst

How about henna? Only works if red will work for you, but it is a much more attractive red then what comes out of most home hair coloring kits.

Henna for Hair - The Science of Henna and Hair

Years ago I noticed old women with a blue tint in their white hair. I wonder if that was the result of some hair coloring product.
"Now the goose is on the table
And the pudding made of fig.
And a blue and silver candle,
That would just have matched the hair in Grandma's wig."

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ha

You read too much Jane Austen, or maybe Sherlock Holmes, as a child. So did I.
Grasping for the Wind: Etymology of "Gray"
"The distinction between British grey and U.S. gray developed 20c."

Ah, that is the reason. Zane Grey, Jane Austen, Sherlock Holmes, Anne Frank ....

Thanks Brighteyes - I never heard of this product before, and it didn't come up during my own Amazon search. I think I will call Clairol about this product to be sure it does not contain ppd (p-phenylenediamine, a known skin irritant that appears in many 'non-peroxide, non-ammonia' hair color products). :flowers::cool:;)

Amethyst

This one is on amazon but w/ only 1 review...but perhaps there are other options on amazon too...Amazon.com: CLAIROL Professional Beautiful Collection Gentle Semi- Permanent Color No. B12D Medium Ash Brown Level 3-Base Violet-Neutral 3oz/88ml: Beauty

I tried henna once, it was very messy and smells - natural - like putting wet cut grass on your head that is dipped in ink? Not too bad but not pleasing either.

You might consider not coloring your hair; you just have to get used to looking at yourself with gray hair. I stopped coloring when I retired at age 59. (I colored my hair from age 16 to 59!). My hair loks very healthy, soft, and shiny.

true; I was letting my frustration spill over. From another perspective, many people in this world would say I'm lucky to have lived long enough to get gray/grey hair.

Amethyst

It's not that we don't care about the topic, we just have the good sense not to give advise about things we know nothing about. .

Back
Top Bottom