What happened to (where is) the missing Malaysian Airline?

Putin already has blamed Ukraine for all intents and purposes.

When I originally posted thread, I've never thought ...

1) the plane would not be found,
2) the thread is resurrected for another Malaysian plane disaster.

What is the odd of 1) & 2) happening to a same airline in 4 month period? Billion to 1? It never happened before so the odd of this happening is 1 to an astronomical number.

I think the two crashes happening to Malaysian are purely coincidental

I think the two crashes happening to Malaysian are purely coincidental

Actually it was more likely to happen to Malaysian than other airlines.

Malaysian was trying to take the shortest route because it saves fuel/money. Other airlines had decided to detour around parts of Ukraine. Malaysian therefore had higher odds of getting shot down by flying over a war zone.

According to data from the flight-tracking company FlightRadar24, there were 55 planes that flew over eastern Ukraine around where Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 was hit on Thursday, including those from Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Austrian Airlines, Thai Airways, Jet Airways and Pakistan International Airways.

Commercial Planes Routinely Fly Over Conflict Zones, From Ukraine to Syria

In the future, passengers traveling East from Europe can probably thank Mr. Putin for longer flights.

Malaysian was trying to take the shortest route because it saves fuel/money. Other airlines had decided to detour around parts of Ukraine. Malaysian therefore had higher odds of getting shot down by flying over a war zone.

I thought I heard they diverted slightly due to weather:confused: Most other airlines are now saying they will divert from flying over Ukraine.

Two Ukraine Air Force fighters shot down yesterday. Seems unlikely that the Ukraine is shooting down its own planes. Although could be a clever subterfuge to direct suspicion onto the rebels and Mr. Putin. Seems more likely that the rebels are having some fun before the Russians take their toys away.

The US media is so biased in their reporting. I do think the separatists shot down the plane, but please be honest in the reporting.

Both the Ukrainian army, Separatists and Russians has in their possession BUK systems capable of shooting down the plane. US media reports them as "Russian make BUK systems". I haven't heard once in US media that the Ukrainian had this system.

Yes, it has been reported that Ukraine owns BUK variants
And that they are all accounted for. And that the Russian-supplied and led "rebels" already claimed to have downed a plane at this place and time before erasing such claims. It is VERY clear what has happened.

samclem is not always right, but I think he's probably right this time.

Planes keep crashing ...

Airline insurances companies must be shaking in their boots. In the last 7 days, ...

1) Malaysian plane shot down over Ukraine
2) Taiwan plane crashed during landing
3) Algerian plane crash

I don't remember so many plane crashes happening so close to each other, not to mention the one missing Malaysian plane that started it all.

The US media is so biased in their reporting. I do think the separatists shot down the plane, but please be honest in the reporting.

Both the Ukrainian army, Separatists and Russians has in their possession BUK systems capable of shooting down the plane. US media reports them as "Russian make BUK systems". I haven't heard once in US media that the Ukrainian had this system.

Where is the BUK system made? Russia. So referring to them as "Russian made BUK systems" is biased reporting? Seems like it is just accurate reporting to me. The fact that the Ukrainian armed forces have this weapon system has been widely reported in the US media. [Mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Airline insurances companies must be shaking in their boots. In the last 7 days, ...

1) Malaysian plane shot down over Ukraine
2) Taiwan plane crashed during landing
3) Algerian plane crash

I don't remember so many plane crashes happening so close to each other, not to mention the one missing Malaysian plane that started it all.

For loss of life, March 27, 1977, Tenerife in the Canary Islands when two fully loaded 747s collided on the runway killing 583 people. Indirectly due to a terrorist action which had closed the Gran Carania airport where they were supposed to have landed. To this day, I remember where I was when I heard of that disaster.

... and yet another Malaysian airplane missing, presumed crashed. That's 3 Malaysian airplanes which went down in the last 12 months. I don't know of any country which had 3 of its planes going down in a year.

... and yet another Malaysian airplane missing, presumed crashed. That's 3 Malaysian airplanes which went down in the last 12 months. I don't know of any country which had 3 of its planes going down in a year.

Is AirAsia owned by Malaysian airlines? You may be right, if so, I didn't realize they were the same company.

Business Week has a couple of interesting articles on the issues:
rapid airline growth in Asia, lack of qualified pilots, bad maintenance & QA, corrupt regulation, poor safety records, rudimentary air-control infrastructure, and not enough financial incentive to put real-time trackers in the aircraft.

A couple of the "regional" airlines can't become "international" because they cause too many accidents on other nation's runways.

One comment is that even the first-world airlines won't install satellite bandwidth on the planes until it gives them the ability to charge passengers to stream the latest episode of Downton Abbey...

Why Air Disasters Keep Happening in Southeast Asia - Businessweek

Robust Airplane Tracking Technology Still Isn't Widely Used - Businessweek

I'm not buying the mathematician theory...

(CNN)It has been 15 months since Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing did an unexplained about-face, flew in the wrong direction and disappeared without a trace with 239 souls on board. In the absence of physical evidence, theories on what happened to the plane continue to proliferate: The crew passed out. It was pilot suicide. Or was it a paranormal event?

Now comes the latest contribution to the debate: This week, a mathematician from Texas A&M University announced that he had run data through a computer and determined it was likely the plane had plunged vertically into the ocean.

MH370 possibly plunged straight into ocean, expert says - CNN.com

I wouldn't argue about the angle of the plunge but the real question is where?

The proposed vertical water entry explains why there would be no debris floating on the surface, making the crash location difficult to find.

Still, more important is the "Why", which we will never now.

Back
Top Bottom