What happened to (where is) the missing Malaysian Airline?

There must be some clearvoyants left who James Randi has not humiliated [-]debunked[/-] yet. A fine opportunity to prove the sceptics wrong.

Australians are reporting they found satellite images of "reasonable" objects in their search area. They caution the objects may not be related to the plane.

One think I feel confident in predicting is that one year from now at least of the "facts" (e.g. Satellite pings, pre programmed turn, crew or passengers background, last report radar postion etc.) that we know now will turn out to be completely inaccurate.

I don't have a clue as to which fact will be wrong. Which means I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the fire scenarios as not conforming to the facts, cause I don't believe we know them.

One think I feel confident in predicting is that one year from now at least of the "facts" (e.g. Satellite pings, pre programmed turn, crew or passengers background, last report radar postion etc.) that we know now will turn out to be completely inaccurate.

I don't have a clue as to which fact will be wrong. Which means I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the fire scenarios as not conforming to the facts, cause I don't believe we know them.

+1. I still think the biggest mystery is why the passengers let this flight continue for more than 7 hrs without trying to take control. Or, maybe in the end they did.

Assuming there was no apparent disruption in the cockpit, I doubt many of the passengers at o dark thirty in the morning would notice a turn, especially if the pilot said they would be making some turns to avoid weather. At night, I doubt if there was a passenger on board that could have figured out which way the plane was headed. That coupled with an announcement that 'we are encountering extreamly high head winds and our arrival will be approximately XX:XX for those with connecting reservations there will be a gate attendant to assist you.' A little grumbling, mostly 'what did he say' and then back to sleep or the movie. I doubt even the cabin crew would react.

Not so sure. Out of 200+ people there will no doubt be one who tracks the plane speed and location via cell phone gps. My cell phone gps still works in airplane mode and I have tracked the plane speed and location on many flights...just have to hold the phone near the window.

My first reaction would be. 'Well this certainly isn't working!', but you have a point. There might have been an insomniac on board that would stay up and try to watch their cell. Anything is possible.

A lot of these flights also have personal displays where you can track the flight. It might be that these suddenly stopped working, and most likely did, but I think that would lead to more questions or trying to get this info in another way.

I wonder if the compass app would work?

+1. I still think the biggest mystery is why the passengers let this flight continue for more than 7 hrs without trying to take control. Or, maybe in the end they did.

How would the passengers try to take control?

I highly doubt if cell phones were working while whatever were going on. Otherwise, we'd known about them. Either there were no cell towers nearby or whatever happened in the plane disabled cell phone activities.

When I was flying back from Frankfurt a few weeks ago on a 777 like this, I had a screen in the seat back in front of me that I set to track the plane. I wonder if this feature was on this aircraft? if it was, I would bet at least a few passengers would be doing what I was and watching the flight progress.

How would the passengers try to take control?

Well I would like to think they would try to get into the cockpit to 'encourage' the pilot to change course or hopefully have someone familiar with airplanes take over. There were 10 other crew members on board. I know flight 93 was not successful in their attempt however I can't see just sitting there looking at the ocean and waiting to run out of fuel.

I highly doubt if cell phones were working while whatever were going on. Otherwise, we'd known about them. Either there were no cell towers nearby or whatever happened in the plane disabled cell phone activities.

In my phone, which has a dedicated GPS receiver you do not need a cell tower to get a location. I use it when hiking in the mountains where the nearest cell tower is 50 miles away.

Some predictions:

Several of the 'radar contacts' recorded after loss of the transponder will be erroneous. (People used to nice tagged transponder blips are lousy at reading 'raw' radar returns.)

One or more of the 'known' event times the news readers and their pet experts have been stringing together will be wrong. Yes, bored watchstanders have been known to make log entries after the fact, with 'guesstimated' times.

No matter what eventually turns up, dedicated conspiracy theorists won't give up their favorite conspiracy theory. There are books to be sold, and TV appearances to be made...

Some predictions:

Several of the 'radar contacts' recorded after loss of the transponder will be erroneous. (People used to nice tagged transponder blips are lousy at reading 'raw' radar returns.)

One or more of the 'known' event times the news readers and their pet experts have been stringing together will be wrong. Yes, bored watchstanders have been known to make log entries after the fact, with 'guesstimated' times.

No matter what eventually turns up, dedicated conspiracy theorists won't give up their favorite conspiracy theory. There are books to be sold, and TV appearances to be made...

How many people still think a missile took down flight 800? On the bright side CNN has an audience again.;)

The only certainty so far is conspiracy theorists will be busy for years to come.

How many people still think a missile took down flight 800? On the bright side CNN has an audience again.;)

The town (at least all the families I still know) where the french class that was on flight 800 believe that a missile took it down. Obviously many other people believe it too.

Sounds like doubts about who had what data when are already starting. I think the need for a conspiracy assists some folks deal with tragedy.
MRG

Malaysian government has concluded that the plane crashed into Indian Ocean without survivals. I guess they are going with pure circumstantial evidences.

The news from Inmarsat seems reasonable and testable. Any company with a plane can fly the proposed route and see if the systems in such a plane "ping" the satellite(s) and produce the same data. Indeed, reports from BBC state:
The company told the BBC the new calculation involved crunching far more data and that engineers spent all weekend looking back at previous Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 flights.

They compared the satellite data from those flights with flight MH370 and were able to work out that it went south.

Malaysian government has concluded that the plane crashed into Indian Ocean without survivals. I guess they are going with pure circumstantial evidences.

I think they have information they are not sharing, however I now believe the most probable scenario is that some catastrophic event happened that incapacitated or killed the crew and passengers. The plane flew until it ran out of fuel. We may never know.

In my phone, which has a dedicated GPS receiver you do not need a cell tower to get a location. I use it when hiking in the mountains where the nearest cell tower is 50 miles away.

Most phones will do that, as you mention. The only other point is that the local map must already be in memory, and not from a cell net.

Back
Top Bottom