What have you cooked Lately?

Continuing on the theme of cold-weather comfort food, I made up a great beef stew the other day. Came out good, with plenty of leftovers.

As for the focaccia bread I mentioned the other day, not so much. I'd failed to notice the last line in the recipe: "Serve warm."

I had a small section of the bread with my dinner, which was very good. However, it was rubbery to the point of inedible by the next day. Lesson learned, only make that if there's going to be enough people to eat it all right away! It also took a long time, maybe 6-7 hours start to finish. Maybe some thanksgiving when I'm up starting the turkey 6-7 hours before dinner anyway.

I'm havin' ribs tonight!

Continuing on the theme of cold-weather comfort food, I made up a great beef stew the other day. Came out good, with plenty of leftovers.

As for the focaccia bread I mentioned the other day, not so much. I'd failed to notice the last line in the recipe: "Serve warm."

I had a small section of the bread with my dinner, which was very good. However, it was rubbery to the point of inedible by the next day. Lesson learned, only make that if there's going to be enough people to eat it all right away! It also took a long time, maybe 6-7 hours start to finish. Maybe some thanksgiving when I'm up starting the turkey 6-7 hours before dinner anyway.

A recently opened pizzeria near me only makes focaccia pizza, it's awesome.

I went retro and made a bisquick streusel coffee cake on Wednesday - the first day the boys went back to school. Since then I've made banana bread and various simple meals for breakfast and lunch (soups, eggs, etc.) DH does dinners usually... he made an awesome pasta with a red sauce with sausage and hamburger in it.... Big raves from the teenagers and me.

"Huevos Verdes"

24717364678_2a38eee367_o.jpg

Think huevos rancheros but topped with chili verde instead of ranchero sauce

Around here they serve a variation called huevos divorciados with salsa verde on one egg and salsa roja on the other.

Just wrapped up from-scratch split pea and ham soup, using a leftover spiral ham bone and made-from-thanksgiving-turkey broth.

Started a large pot of black beans seasoned with garlic and onion around sunset. We ate them for dinner over brown rice with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.

When that's finished, on to tuna fish croquettes made with a nice hunk of aged cheddar. Likely served with a side of roasted Brussel sprouts with a red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing.

I love cooking in cold weather because it makes it much nicer to be in the kitchen! :)

DW finally got around to making pea soup from the ham bone that we had just before New Years... good! I'm getting a hankering for a pot of New England Baked Beans... with Vermont maple syrup of course..... perhaps I'll make some for the Patriots game on Saturday night.

It’s time for us to get back on our usual eating plan. Too much holiday food this year! Tonight I made roasted salmon filets, broiled tomatoes with pecorino Romano cheese on top, and steamed asparagus. Delicious & healthy! We started back on salads for lunch. The prepackaged Ready Pac Bistro salads are quite good and are reasonable at 3/$10.

Looking for ideas. The last of the Thanksgiving leftovers is about a half-gallon or more of turkey broth made from the turkey bone. It's been in a bag in the freezer since a few days after T-day. My first thought was matzo ball soup, but it's a bit much for that.

I suppose I could just throw in some veggies and meat for a generic stew.

What would you make with it?

Looking for ideas. The last of the Thanksgiving leftovers is about a half-gallon or more of turkey broth made from the turkey bone. It's been in a bag in the freezer since a few days after T-day. My first thought was matzo ball soup, but it's a bit much for that.

I suppose I could just throw in some veggies and meat for a generic stew.

What would you make with it?

How about using it to make quinoa? I often use broth instead of water, for more flavour. Or how about risotto?

Eight pound pork shoulder on the BGE made over five pounds of glorious pulled pork which we will consume over the next week or so. It's such an easy thing to make: set it and forget it overnight for about a 14-hour cook, low and slow. We can get excellent pulled pork at a local BBQ place for $16 a pound, but doing it myself it's under $3 a pound, including the rub and the charcoal.

Back
Top Bottom