What have you cooked Lately?

split pea

Just started some split pea soup. No holiday ham bone to use in it, as described in another thread here, but it sounded so good and had everything else on hand. I hope a dollop of sour cream in the bowl will make up for no ham bone!

With the pot of chili done and talking about cooking aroma, I recall another incident.

We were in downtown Portland one weekend some years ago. Back then, they had an open market and festival every weekend near the river front. I don't know if it is still ongoing. Anyway, we were wandering the streets, and after having enough of the crowd, we walked off exploring.

Just a few blocks from the open market the crowd died out, and restaurants there had problems attracting customers. I suddenly smelled some wonderful grilling aroma, and it made me hungry. I told my wife we needed to check this out. It did not take long to spot a plume of cooking smoke rising, down the street.

When we walked there, I found out what was really happening. A Japanese restaurant had a charcoal grill out front on the sidewalk. A cook ran from the inside out every so often to brush teriyaki sauce on the empty hot grill. And that was the source of the wonderful aroma and smoke that drew me there.

After I stopped laughing, I walked by the restaurant, looked in and saw that it was nearly empty. I told my wife that I did not realize how "empty smoke" smelled that good when one was hungry. We did not end up eating there though.

Was that false advertising? :LOL:

Started soaking beans for a nice pot of 15-bean soup to be made tomorrow.

They will soak overnight -- totally unnecessary from a cooking viewpoint but I have always believed it helps minimize the gastrointestinal activity resulting from beans.

No ham but I saved a nice chunk of homemade bacon from my last batch to use in the soup. Great food for this frigid time of year.

I am cooking turkey today with all the trimmings for my DH, mom and dad and sister. We will all be able to sit down at the table and eat. I am from a big family, so I enjoy cooking for a smaller group.

Hot Smoked Salmon

Smoked a side of salmon on the Big Green Egg yesterday for a New Years Eve party. Today, I am making black eyed peas for a Bowl Game party. In the south we eat black eyed peas and greens on New Years Day. The peas are for good luck in the new year and the greens represent money in the new year. So, now I have luck and money covered for 2018.

Made 9# of breakfast link sausage yesterday using 2 pork shoulder roasts, took the bones and some homemade ham trimmings and made a batch of split pea soup in slow cooker. It must have been the day for spit pea soup. Then had sauteed mussels and some Alaska king crab for the NYE feast! Dilly! Dilly!

The remainder of the pork will go into Italian sausage today or tomorrow. It's pork, sauerkraut and dumplings at Mom's tonight! Dilly! Dilly!

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure he meant a pot of soup. That soup was one of DF’s favorite. Soaking beans for 24 hours before cooking definitely reduces the unintended gastrointestinal side effects.

Yesterday made a nice crockpot full of BBQ meatballs and mashed potatoe casserole. Today will be a filet mignon and salad.

I am making hoppin john - Sean Brock "Husk" style (including Anson Mill heritage red peas and Carolina golden rice), braised greens and cornbread. I am going vegetarian for a dear friend joining us for NYD lunch. This is a lot of trouble, but so far the results are very good!

You running short of beans?

Maybe he meant "cup" instead of "pot"? :confused:

I’m pretty sure he meant a pot of soup. That soup was one of DF’s favorite. Soaking beans for 24 hours before cooking definitely reduces the unintended gastrointestinal side effects.

From REWahoo's question, I pictured Braumeister counting his beans: "1 bean, 2 beans, ..., 14 beans, 15 beans". :LOL:

They would rattle inside a cup, let alone a pot. However, if 15 beans are what one has on hand, that's what one cooks with, I guess. :D

large_15-bean-soup.png

Last night we had roast leg of lamb with garlic, buttery green beans, and champagne. Best meal of 2017!

Ah, I was wondering how hard it is to get 15 varieties of beans. I was about to ask you to enumerate and to list them.

Come to think of it, I am not sure I have eaten 15 different types of bean in my life, let alone all 15 in one soup.

This morning, for the 25th year in a row, we made our New Year's day brunch of smoked chicken and butternut squash hash, with poached egg on top. Accompanied by scratch-made cranberry scones with walnut honey butter. All washed down with orange juice and a nice bottle of Veuve Clicqout. The young wife makes the hash. I make the scones and poach the eggs. We break out all of the fancy linens, silver, china and crystal to ring in the New Year. Just the two of us in our PJs.

It’s New Years Day, so being a good Southerner, like flintnational above, we had black eyed peas for good luck and greens for money in the coming year. Normally, greens would be collards, turnip or mustard greens. However, I live up north now so kale had to do.

Last edited:
I say Braumeister will have to sort out his bag of beans and identify each of them.

How else can he be sure what is in there?

I won't list the failures, but some good ones lately:

• Pasta w Trapanese Pesto
  • Chicken Zurich w Roesti & Roasted Brussels
Thinking about making Aligot next.

Last edited:
Some people have way too much time on their hands.

From the package:
Contains at least 15 of these varieties: Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green Split, Kidney, Cranberry, Small White, Pink, Small Red, Yellow Split, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean, Yellow Eye.

Have kielbasa and sauerkraut with beer and brown sugar in the slow cooker now.

Back
Top Bottom