Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ellas Llegan Primero.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am reading "In Praise of Slowness" by Carl Honore. Saw this on the Huffington Post. Looks interesting.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #223
Moderator Emeritus

Amazon.com: In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) (9780060750510): Carl Honore: Books

Thanks, Cattusbabe, I ironically took up Amazon’s offer to “start reading ‘In Praise of Slowness’ on your Kindle in under one minute.”
Old 10-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #224

Just slogged through a book my boss has been nagging me to read, More than You Know. Pretty good and quite interesting from a behavioral finance standpoint.

Amazon.com: More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places (9780231138703): Michael J. Mauboussin: Books

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

I spent most of today flying across the country. Plane rides are my opportunities to catch up on reading. I started, and almost finished, "The Post-American World", by Fareed Zakaria. History, economics & foreign policy.....wheee! I found it an excellent read and quite thought provoking. Zakaria traces the rise of the US and compares it to other leading nations that have risen and fallen over the centuries, and analyzes and compares developments in China and India over the past century or two. He notes the growing desire and capability of nations on the rise to chart their own course. He believes that the US will always remain important, but that the era of US dominance in the world is waning and that China, followed by India, will have the most growth in the 21st century. I think he is correct.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

I was also in flight today and read " Executive Priviledge " by Philip Margolin . It is a great book to keep you engrossed throught the turbulence .
Old 10-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #227

Currently reading Stayin' Safe,The Art and Science of Riding Really Well, a collection of magazine articles on motorcycle riding by Lawrence Grodsky. Next up is A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code, another book on street riding.

Just Finished Eon and Eternity by Greg Bear, both science fiction, and Blood, Sweat, and 2nd Gear, by flash gordon, MD. (Yes, that's his real name.) A book about basic medical information of use to motorcyclists, bicyclists, hikers and anyone else who spends a lot of time outside more than an hour away from a hospital. I didn't know that washing a wound with water was bad for cells, far better is a mild saline solution. Or how exponentially fast germs grow in a wound - washing it with water at a gas station hose is far better than doing nothing.

So in addition to the tool kit, tire plugs and CO2 tire inflation kit, a first aid kit will be added to the saddlebags.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #228
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Errornomics by Joseph T Hallinan

A short but entertaining and educational read on why we make so many mistakes.

A quote from the conclusion:

"It takes determination and discipline to re-craft a life - which is why....so many retired people end up going back to work. The mistake they make is that they spend their time doing the same old things they've always done and not the new things they thought they were going to do."
Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #229
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Currently reading Stayin' Safe,The Art and Science of Riding Really Well, a collection of magazine articles on motorcycle riding by Lawrence Grodsky. Next up is A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code, another book on street riding.

Just Finished Eon and Eternity by Greg Bear, both science fiction, and Blood, Sweat, and 2nd Gear, by flash gordon, MD. (Yes, that's his real name.) A book about basic medical information of use to motorcyclists, bicyclists, hikers and anyone else who spends a lot of time outside more than an hour away from a hospital. I didn't know that washing a wound with water was bad for cells, far better is a mild saline solution. Or how exponentially fast germs grow in a wound - washing it with water at a gas station hose is far better than doing nothing.

So in addition to the tool kit, tire plugs and CO2 tire inflation kit, a first aid kit will be added to the saddlebags.
Now I want to read all of these!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

The Good Soldiers by David Finkel~About 2-16 Inf during the surge in 2007 in Iraq.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to a mention from CuppaJoe, I just read "Piece of String" by Guy de Maupassant, the master of short stories.

I read it 5 minutes ago. You can too. No knowledge of French needed. The English translation that I found is right here.

Short Stories: A Piece of String by Guy de Maupassant
Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #232

Read Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brian and enjoyed it.

You might check out Patrick O'Brian in Wikepedia. There is a nice list of the order of his books there plus further links. Also I bought Sea of Words as recommended by others to look up some of the nautical terms plus some extra background history and ship illustrations. Also bought Harbors and High Seas which has maps for the individual books in the O'Brian series (which I get from our library).

After reading O'Brian's books you should really have a jump on the other guys on Talk Like a Pirate Day . Or if you really need a jump on this and cannot wait to read an O'Brian book then check out: Pirate Speak: How To Talk Like A Pirate - Talk Like A Pirate Day UK Headquarters
Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #233
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Thanks to a mention from CuppaJoe, I just read "Piece of String" by Guy de Maupassant, the master of short stories....
NW-B, if someone put that story on a link in the finance section, the forum would have a field day with it. Obsessive-compulsive geezer’s excessive frugality....
Old 10-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #234

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by James Ford.

A story set in Seattle about a Chinese boy and Japanese girl during World War II including the forced movement of Japanese to camps. The story moves between the war years and the mid-1980's.

Excellant read! Downloaded from the public library to my Palm.

-- Rita
Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #235
Dryer sheet wannabe

finished a book!

Finished listening to The story of Edgar Sawtelle, and Duty to the Dead (a Bess Crawford mystery) Liked both of them, I like audiobooks cause I work in a library on the computer all day cataloging books, and my eyes are shot after 8 hours!
I am now reading "heaven's keep" by William krueger (the Cork O' Connor mystery series) he's great as is the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box.

Live in Colorado, and after the last 2 days I should be reading "The Shining" Remember the snowstorm
Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
NW-B, if someone put that story on a link in the finance section, the forum would have a field day with it. Obsessive-compulsive geezer’s excessive frugality....
While on a walk around the neighborhood, I would pick up nuts and bolts fallen off cars if they still looked serviceable. I would throw them into my coffee can of hardware when I got back home. Heh heh heh... Old frugal habits die hard.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #237

Just read

The Rising,City Dead, and Day by Day Armageddon.

Just candy like reading. Good for some Halloween mood stuff. If you enjoy Apocalyptic zombie stuff.

Lol warning if you are looking for something to broaden your horizons...move along.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

I'm reading "My life in France " by Julia Child . After seeing the movie I've been intrigued with her life .
Old 11-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #239
Dryer sheet aficionado

Want to understand Pakistan and Afganistan?

I just finished Three Cups of Tea. It's a fascinating story of a selfless man who was actually nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #240
Dryer sheet aficionado

I agree that the US is on its way down. Funny thing is, people still think we're number one in a whole bunch of areas where we're actually down around 30-40. Infant mortality, life longevity, literacy rates, health, perceived happiness etc. Many countries rate higher than we do. Cuba is WAY ahead of us in literacy.