What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished reading The Great Alone by Kirstin Hannah, a coming of age tale set in the back country of Alaska. A family in crisis where home life is as challenging as the Alaskan winters.

We lost all our belongings in an int'l move in '90. Since then, much easier to let things go. Just stuff ..

Great attitude. Same thing happened to a friend of mine. His entire shipment of household goods, enroute from the US to Europe, only made it part of the way. His wife was beside herself for a while, but got over it. I was secretly a little jealous.

Sometimes I think it must have been much easier to live and die at the time of our ancestors, the Vikings. When they buried their relatives, they also buried many objects together with the body.
My dad saved the pocket change from his trips around the world. What a perfect resting place for those coins!

"Fat Chance" by Robert H. Lustig, M.D., M.S.L.

A fascinating (to me anyway) read about what is believed about obesity, the role of food company lobbyists in governmental dietary recommendations (at least from his perspective) and the evolutionary, cultural, and economic reasons why it is so doggone hard or even impossible to lose weight.

I've often wondered "what happened?" during the last 30-40 years to increase the obesity rate so much. It just wasn't seen during the '50's and '60's when I was growing up. This book helps answer that question, and provides the author's suggestions on what to do about it.

I found it worthwhile reading.

Something I shared with my newsletter readers:

ZT4nnF0.png

Right now, I'm reading How to Stop Time. So far, really good.

Reread 'Why We Get Fat' by Gary Taubes and then 'The Obesity Code' by Jason Fung.

How does this happen? Where did the stuff go?
I can't speak for OP but I'm told that they don't last down the containers on the container vessels and occasionally they hit rough weather and slide off (as intended, apparently). Also occasionally theres a fire. Friend lost half their stuff when that container slid off. I think she had all her box springs yet no mattresses. Tabletop but no legs. Incredibly inconvenient.

If you enjoy sailing or reading about sea adventures, you might enjoy this book by an around the world solo sailor, who pursued and achieved his dream after 40 years. It's an examination of life concurrent with the adventure of sailing around the world single handed. I loved it, read 174 pages the first day! I've met the author, and he is one remarkable human being.

https://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Dream-Sailors-Ultimate-Journey/dp/1948494094

Attachments

• SOAD.jpg
    SOAD.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 20
I just finished Finding Gobi. If you love dogs, this is a great read. It’s a true story.

Finding Gobi: A Little Dog with a Very Big Heart https://www.amazon.com/dp/0718098579/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Hi3nCbWP2RXEJ

Dogs? You might like this one:

Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men: Searching through Scotland for a Border Collie
by Donald McCaig

The engaging account of the author's search for a trained border collie in Scotland, to bring back to his farm in Virginia. McCaig delves into the mysterious pact between dog and man, which involves trust and deep communication. Traveling from town to town, to competitions and farms, meeting shepherds and trainers, McCaig introduces us to unforgettable animal and human characters.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1423392.Eminent_Dogs_Dangerous_Men

I just read "Dark Matter" by "Blake Crouch". I came back here to thank whoever it was that recommended it, and (cue Twilight Zone music) there isn't such a post. There's mention on this board of the TV show, but I don't watch TV, for the most part. So now I don't know who to credit for putting this book on my radar.

Anyway, the premise of the book is that there is a guy who figures out a way to step into all the universes that split off each time a decision taken (think, Schrödinger's cat). Of course all hell breaks loose and as annoying as it is when an author is writing the danged screen play for the Hollywood wonks, I like the premise of the book.

I just finished '' Before the fall '' by Noah Hawley .It is about a plane crash with two survivors . Lots of twists and turns. A good read .

I am about 80 pages into "Endgame," a 2011 biography by Frank Brady about Bobby Fischer, the former world champ chess player who passed away in 2008 at age 64.

I was already a decent chess player at age 9 in 1972 when Fischer spurred a huge increase in chess here in the US after he beat Boris Spassky to win the title. I saw local interest in school for many years to come.

Fischer was a prodigy at chess in his youth, as I am up to his becoming the youngest US champ at age 14 in 1957. Good read so far, and I am looking forward to reading about his continuous rise to the top of the chess world in the early 1970s.

Reading “Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time” by Dava Sobel. How navigation on the seas was made possible by using the difference between local time and prime meridian time to establish one’s longitude.

Reading “Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time” by Dava Sobel. How navigation on the seas was made possible by using the difference between local time and prime meridian time to establish one’s longitude.
+1. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I looked Longitude up and the year 2000 show listed on Netflix DVD (not streaming). Unfortunately it is not available. It's on Prime Video but is not free ($4 for 2 epitsodes).

I looked Longitude up and the year 2000 show listed on Netflix DVD (not streaming). Unfortunately it is not available. It's on Prime Video but is not free ($4 for 2 epitsodes).

We just went to the library. (Low tech kinda people, us.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom