Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #2441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Because both the Walker and Penny books are mostly set in small villages, one does have to wonder at the homicide rate!
That reminded me of a very good New Zealand TV detective series......small town, and every time someone hiccups there's another death:

The Brokenwood Mysteries (TV Series 2014– ) - IMDb

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Just started No Man's Lands by Scott Huler....following the journey of Odysseus......I like the premise and the book might be absorbing....(although a number of the reviews contain 'howevers'......but, since I only paid $1 for it.......)

No Man's Lands: One Man's Odyssey Through The Odyssey by Scott Huler — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
About a third of the way through this now, (broke off to read Mixed Blood which I enjoyed), and am finding the mix of mythology/geography/history quite enthralling.....a good read.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #2443
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That reminded me of a very good New Zealand TV detective series......small town, and every time someone hiccups there's another death:

The Brokenwood Mysteries (TV Series 2014– ) - IMDb
Yes! And Inspector Morse has surely investigated everyone in Oxford, and the Midsomer villages must be ghost towns by now

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:24 PM   #2444
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm reading Heading Toward Omega by Kenneth Ring. Dr. Ring was one of the first (American) researchers of Near-Death experiences. This stuff is fascinating to me....
Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #2445

Quote:
Just started No Man's Lands by Scott Huler....following the journey of Odysseus......I like the premise and the book might be absorbing....(although a number of the reviews contain 'howevers'......but, since I only paid $1 for it.......)

No Man's Lands: One Man's Odyssey Through The Odyssey by Scott Huler — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Finished No Man's Lands and thoroughly enjoyed it..........even found what could be an oblique reference to those partaking in the Current Credit Card Charges thread, and which will undoubtedly clarify matters for everyone:

Quote:
Regarding Homer, the experts agree on these facts: Homer either did, or did not exist; he lived in the ninth century BC, unless it was the eighth, or tenth, or not at all; he wrote The Iliad and The Odyssey, or one of them, or neither, or perhaps other lost poems; either he actually wrote or he dictated, since he was either literate or illiterate; either he was blind or he was not; and he was born, if he ever was, in Smyrna - or in Argos, or Chios, or Colophon, or Salamis, or Rhodes, or Athens. That's the general agreement. If you go beyond that, people begin arguing.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #2446

I am almost finished A Dog's Purpose. It's a perfect book for dog lovers. I am looking at my dogs differently now.😍

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #2447

Quote:
I am reading the ninth Bruno Courrges, Chief of Police, novel by Martin Walker. Set in the Dordogne region of France, in the fictional town of St. Denis. Very enjoyable.
I got the first novel in this series titled Bruno, Chief of Police: https://www.amazon.com/Bruno-Chief-P...ds=bruno+chief

It was a little weak on the suspense but that doesn't bother me. The author is British, was in reporting, and has written several non-fiction books. He seems to know his history. A very interesting account of France from an inside view and the book covers some WW2 history that is generally not know or discussed.

The book was written in 2008 and the comments are still quite relevant today with some of the turmoil in Europe.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #2448
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Enjoyed it very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #2449
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I got the first novel in this series titled Bruno, Chief of Police: https://www.amazon.com/Bruno-Chief-P...ds=bruno+chief

It was a little weak on the suspense but that doesn't bother me. The author is British, was in reporting, and has written several non-fiction books. He seems to know his history. A very interesting account of France from an inside view and the book covers some WW2 history that is generally not know or discussed.

The book was written in 2008 and the comments are still quite relevant today with some of the turmoil in Europe.
Yes re the suspense. I read a lot of mysteries and I like how they vary--the setting and characters are good in this series and it's okay with me that the mysteries aren't especially mysterious.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #2450

Quote:
Yes re the suspense. I read a lot of mysteries and I like how they vary--the setting and characters are good in this series and it's okay with me that the mysteries aren't especially mysterious.
I've read pretty much every one of Donna Leon's Brunetti books, and enjoyed them all:

The Official Website of Donna Leon

Old 10-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #2451

I just finished "The Making of Donald Trump," by David Cay Johnston. Heckuva read.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #2452
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've read pretty much every one of Donna Leon's Brunetti books, and enjoyed them all:

The Official Website of Donna Leon
The Brunetti books have been on my to-read list for a long time. Thank you for the reminder!

Old 10-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #2453

On the final book of Rick Yancey's 5th Wave series, another good post apocalyptic read.

I did recently listen to Wastelands, which is a collection of shorter stories in this genre, but it wasn't good, on balance. A few of the stories were interesting, but not all, and some dragged on seemingly forever.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #2454

Quote:
The Brunetti books have been on my to-read list for a long time. Thank you for the reminder!
.....try and read them in order of publication so as to maintain continuity.

If you haven't already read them you might also enjoy Montalbano

http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/...ological_Order

And Aurelio Zen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelio_Zen

Also and Grazia Negro by Carlo Lucarelli https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Lucarelli

Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #2455
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwest28 View Post
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Enjoyed it very much.
hey it's been waiting on my shelf for quite a time already. hope it will not disappoint me too

currently reading "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen - very absorbing and really brilliant
Old 10-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #2456
Full time employment: Posting here.

What have you read recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliadream View Post
hey it's been waiting on my shelf for quite a time already. hope it will not disappoint me too

currently reading "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen - very absorbing and really brilliant
Loved The Corrections ( as did many of my male friends, while most of the females to whom I recommended it did not like it at all)

Hated The Goldfinch- finished it, but sooooooooop over-rated.

Just finished A Gentleman in Moscow - the second book by the author of a book I loved, The Rules of Civility. His first book was thoroughly charming. Gentleman was diverting, but too cute for itself, trying too hard to be charming.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-14-2016, 11:29 PM   #2457

I have been reading American Heiress by Jeffrey Toobin. It's the story of the Patty Hearst kidnapping saga in 1974 along with its aftermath. Toobin has a far different take on it compared to Hearst's in her autobiography, "Every Secret Thing" she wrote in 1982 (which I read in the early 1990s).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 PM   #2458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I also favour nonfiction. The Gene is on my list. I also recommend Mukherjee's first book, The Emperor of All Maladies, a biography of Cancer.
I finished The Emperor of All Maladies and liked it. I would recommend it to anyone "who wants to know about cancer". If I was diagnosed, I would reread it.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #2459

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Unlike most here, I mainly read nonfiction.
The latest is an extraordinarily well written account of how genes were discovered and understood (as far as they are currently understood).

The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee
I am finishing up The Gene now and I like it very much. I was wondering the best way to briefly summarize the book but Braumeister did an excellent job.

DNA The Secret of Life by Watson covers discoveries and the history of modern genetics and is a good read. However, Mukherjee goes further and explains how genes are understood so that you understand. To answer a question like: How do we know how far away from us the stars are? you must learn the explanation and history of each step that leads to the next step in understanding. Can't be covered in one paragraph. Mukherjee takes each discovery and explains all the steps of its conceptual and experimental history. Some how he makes all of this information flow chronologically in a way that is interesting.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #2460
Recycles dryer sheets

Reading: Consequence: A Memoir by Eric Fair

My son had to get a book at the library and it was sort of a random pick. His teach said his essay was very good so I figured I should read the book.

Only on the 2nd chapter.
cd :O)