What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
When You Look Like Your Passport...by Erma Bombeck
Forever Erma by Erma Bombeck
Enjoyed both books; warm, friendly sense of humor

If God Wanted Us To Travel by David Brenner
I found the book sort of funny, but rather predictable.

Dave Barry Is Not Making This Up by Dave Barry
Dave Barry is from Mars and Venus by Dave Barry
Enjoyed both books. Interesting and humorous observations.

Just finished D-Day Through German Eyes by Eckhertz Holger. It's a short, but fascinating, book of interviews with former German soldiers who were stationed in Normandy in June 1945.

Earlier this month I read Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege by Antony Beevor - a horrifying account of the collision of two totalitarian states.

Last edited:
Howard Marks is a long time investment manager and the newer book is "Mastering the Market Cycle".

While waiting for the newer book to become available at the library, I read the other one, which is actually a list of important things. Those who don't do anything different in a market frenzy or depths of market dispare need not read these, of course. But I'd recommend The Most Important Thing over the market cycles one.

The message about market cycles is that they happen, and one CAN know where we are in various cycles, but can't know when the slope will change. But knowing it will likely change at some point and how likely that is, allows one to be more or less aggressive.

There's like 15 concepts that are examined from a dozen angles, and it got rather old after 315 of that. And nothing about the specifics of 2018 cycles. The important thing book was better.

Charlotte Mecklenburg Library - Classic Catalog

Charlotte Mecklenburg Library - Classic Catalog

Finished two books by Michael Lewis and I like them both.

The Undoing Project

The story of how Kahneman and Tversky came to write their pioneering research on human behavior. If you recognize the names you will enjoy hearing their story.

The Fifth Risk

It is about what some of the departments of the US government do and how they impact our life. Most of what the Energy department does has little to do with energy production. Most of what the Agriculture does has little to do with food production. The purpose and benefits of long term research and planning are explained clearly. Some of the heroes of these Departments are biographed.

Everyone should know this stuff and almost no one does.

I’m reading THE FIFTH RISK now and I definitely agree that more people should read it. I remember when I worked for the federal government how discouraging it could get when all the public heard was how “bad” federal government was and how our taxes were being wasted. I believe we are getting our money’s worth and more.

The Afterlife Revealed, by Michael Tymn. Good stuff. Tymn is very level-headed and discusses the issue in a careful, scientific way. I've read several of his books. They're all good. In this one, he tries to lay out what the evidence says about the afterlife. It's a subject that has always fascinated me.

I just finished "Educated " by Tara Westover .I have mixed feelings . Parts were very interesting and parts were boring . All in all I thought "Glass Castle " was a better book on the same subject.

What have you read recently?

I recently read Hans Rosling's last book, Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think. It is a great antidote to the doom and gloom our news headlines encourage.

If you just want to get a dose of positivity, watch one of Rosling's Ted Talks. His animated bubble charts are eye opening. If you enjoy the Ted Talk, check Factfulness out at the library.

I am currently reading Factfulness by Hans Rosling and agree that it is a great antidote to the doom and gloom news headlines.

Last edited:
I just finished "Educated " by Tara Westover .I have mixed feelings . Parts were very interesting and parts were boring . All in all I thought "Glass Castle " was a better book on the same subject.
I liked Educated a lot so I immediately put a hold on Glass Castle at the library. Thanks.

"The Other Woman" by Daniel Silva. The most recent of Silva's espionage novels featuring Israeli intelligence agent/art restorer Gabriel Allon. A real page turner for me. (Note: the other woman doesn't refer to what many of us automatically think of when we hear the term.)

I have read An Enemy of the People by Henrik Ibsen. It is very deep and interesting.

"The Other Woman" by Daniel Silva. The most recent of Silva's espionage novels featuring Israeli intelligence agent/art restorer Gabriel Allon. A real page turner for me. (Note: the other woman doesn't refer to what many of us automatically think of when we hear the term.)

I just finished this one as well. I have read every one of Daniel Silva's books. This is not his best one and the stories seem a bit formulaic now. I think I like the earlier stories where Gabriel is more tense and he starts out the story restoring a painting.

I am reading a book of short stories by Henning Mankell that detail the beginning of Wallender's career. I've also been enjoying Ian Rankin's novels and I've now read almost all of Martha Grimes' novels. Her stories were a bit difficult to begin, but I now love many of the characters she's developed over the years.

I also have Chernow's US Grant in the car CD player for when I'm driving - Chernow is a wonderful author and Grant was an amazing man. I also loved Chernow's Hamilton.

I miss the Morse author (Colin Dexter) - I cried when Morse died on TV and then when I read the novel with his death. What an amazing character - flawed and yet very good at what he did, plus he had some interesting quirks with the Wagner opera music and the old Jaguar. I think the Endeavour series does a great job of giving some more back story, especially about the politics of the Thames Valley police, the different characters (and how/why Morse knew about them and their proclivities/strengths and weaknesses) and the car!

I also miss PD James. Adam Dalgleish was such an interesting character and her earlier stories of a female detective were excellent as well.

Although I am a very American person, I think the British do a much better job at times of writing detective novels (although Connelly, Reacher and Simenon are definitely worthy) as well as acting/producing the detective series that we see through PBS. I sense that they have a depth of education in their history and writing that we miss out on in America.

For American writers, my all time favorite is Willa Cather with Benjamin Franklin, Mark Twain and Robert Heinlein close behind. I like my American writing direct, terse and succinct. I think it does a great job of explaining an American character which is different from the many other different cultures I've had the pleasure of living in.

Last digression - American science fiction is the best and the TV shows we've put together riffing on many different themes have been excellent. Elizabeth Moon and David Weber have some excellent space operas with military themes that I enjoy immensely. My favorite Heinlein book (he became a bit weird toward the end of his life) is Starship Troopers and that is mainly because he has a lot of philosophy in that book. I did not see the movie and probably won't as I find American TV and movie directors exercise a lot of 'artistic' license and many times pervert the author's intent to the director's intent. The British don't do that very often with their TV adaptations of books. Bosch is one of the few American TV series derived from an author's books series (Connelly) that did a great job of getting the author's intent and the book's characters accurately depicted.

OK - back to reading :)

I just finished this one as well. I have read every one of Daniel Silva's books. This is not his best one and the stories seem a bit formulaic now. I think I like the earlier stories where Gabriel is more tense and he starts out the story restoring a painting.

I am reading a book of short stories by Henning Mankell that detail the beginning of Wallender's career. I've also been enjoying Ian Rankin's novels and I've now read almost all of Martha Grimes' novels. Her stories were a bit difficult to begin, but I now love many of the characters she's developed over the years.

I also have Chernow's US Grant in the car CD player for when I'm driving - Chernow is a wonderful author and Grant was an amazing man. I also loved Chernow's Hamilton.

I miss the Morse author (Colin Dexter) - I cried when Morse died on TV and then when I read the novel with his death. What an amazing character - flawed and yet very good at what he did, plus he had some interesting quirks with the Wagner opera music and the old Jaguar. I think the Endeavour series does a great job of giving some more back story, especially about the politics of the Thames Valley police, the different characters (and how/why Morse knew about them and their proclivities/strengths and weaknesses) and the car!

I also miss PD James. Adam Dalgleish was such an interesting character and her earlier stories of a female detective were excellent as well.

Although I am a very American person, I think the British do a much better job at times of writing detective novels (although Connelly, Reacher and Simenon are definitely worthy) as well as acting/producing the detective series that we see through PBS. I sense that they have a depth of education in their history and writing that we miss out on in America.

For American writers, my all time favorite is Willa Cather with Benjamin Franklin, Mark Twain and Robert Heinlein close behind. I like my American writing direct, terse and succinct. I think it does a great job of explaining an American character which is different from the many other different cultures I've had the pleasure of living in.

Last digression - American science fiction is the best and the TV shows we've put together riffing on many different themes have been excellent. Elizabeth Moon and David Weber have some excellent space operas with military themes that I enjoy immensely. My favorite Heinlein book (he became a bit weird toward the end of his life) is Starship Troopers and that is mainly because he has a lot of philosophy in that book. I did not see the movie and probably won't as I find American TV and movie directors exercise a lot of 'artistic' license and many times pervert the author's intent to the director's intent. The British don't do that very often with their TV adaptations of books. Bosch is one of the few American TV series derived from an author's books series (Connelly) that did a great job of getting the author's intent and the book's characters accurately depicted.

OK - back to reading :)

Regarding the bolded paragraph, I would tend to agree with you, particularly as regards the detective/mystery shows of the BBC/PBS variety. Here's one author, neither American nor British (nor Swedish) whom I've enjoyed. Canadian Louise Penny. I'm about a third of the way through her latest, "The Kingdom of the Blind". Set, as they all are, in Three Pines, Quebec with Armand Gamache.

Not mysteries but contemporary fiction - novels by Meg Mitchell Moore. My daughter, so I think they're great. :angel:

How Democracies Die, by Steven Levitsky & Daniel Ziblatt. Well researched and relevant today.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...en-levitsky-and-daniel-ziblatt/9781524762933/

Here's what's on my library site about this book.
"Donald Trump's presidency has raised a question that many of us never thought we'd be asking: Is our democracy in danger? Harvard professors Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt have spent more than twenty years studying the breakdown of democracies in Europe and Latin America, and they believe the answer is yes. Democracy no longer ends with a bang--in a revolution or military coup--but with a whimper: the slow, steady weakening of critical institutions, such as the judiciary and the press, and the gradual erosion of long-standing political norms. The good news is that there are several exit ramps on the road to authoritarianism. The bad news is that, by electing Trump, we have already passed the first one. Drawing on decades of research and a wide range of historical and global examples, from 1930s Europe to contemporary Hungary, Turkey, and Venezuela, to the American South during Jim Crow, Levitsky and Ziblatt show how democracies die--and how ours can be saved."--Amazon.com.

I'm reading "Fallen Dragon (Peter F. Hamilton)" again. He's got a new book out now, which just reminded me that I liked this old one. Apparently the new one (Salvation) isn't a "cliff hanger" for the follow-on book, so I might read that one next. It's on Hoopla so I can listen to it for some fraction of my city-county taxes (public library).

Who We Are and Where We Came From, by David Reich, outlines the archaeological insights that are emerging from whole genome studies of ancient DNA extracted from bones found in digs around the world. So far we have learned that migrations were far different than earlier theorized and involve a great deal more mixing than we thought. It's an interesting book, although a bit dense.

The Glass Castle is one of my favorite books. I also loved the movie, which I don't think received good reviews.

I have just started the book, "I'm Keith Hernandez," by former baseball player Keith Hernandez. It jumps back and forth between his childhood and his pro years. Being somewhat familiar with the St. Louis Cardinals teams of the mid-1970, I find it fascinating reading his stories about his major league and minor league teammates in the Cardinals organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom