What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have "reader's block". :( I devoured books when I first FIREd, now I'm on sabattical. :D
Some activities like reading and my art, I find a time off to be a good investment. I come back to the activity somehow more keenly aware. Generally though, with fiction reading I find that it makes my other experiences seem a little richer. So I don't seem to go more then a few months before needing another fix.

Jill Bolte Taylor's My Stroke of Insight. A neuroscientist has a major stroke aged 37 due to a previously undetected blood vessel malformation in her head. She recovers fully over 8 years. She describes the entire event as she experienced it, knowing not only what was happening but where in her brain. Throws a whole new perspective on how to communicate with, and treat, patients who have had a stroke. It's beautifully written for the general public, complete with diagrams, but I think it should also be required reading for every medical or nursing student, as well as for family members of people who have had a stroke, or might have one. Magnificent read. Get it.

I read the reviews on that and it looks like a great read ! Thanks for reminding me about it !

Just got and I'm almost finished with Elizabeth Berg's "Home Safe " . Her books are a little sappy but good .

That is House written from the perspective of a contractor building someone's dream home? I remember that--I bought it from a thrift store just before we started building our house five years ago. A very good read and a thoughtful book.
Reminds me of another book I enjoyed unexpectedly, called Uncommon Carriers, by John McPhee. Vocational literature, I guess would be what you'd call these, and quite interesting.
Nice to recall it.

To jog your memory, in House Tracy Kidder interviewed the participants, and described the home building process from the eyes of the home owners, the architect, the contractor, the carpenters, etc... It is a good read. It is similar to The Soul of a New Machine, but the latter dealt with computer hardware and would bore the heck out of non-nerds.

I will add Uncommon Carriers to my list. Thanks.

My wife suggested this author and I really liked his first book Dissolution (by C.J. Sansom). Combines a mystery with historical fiction writing. Henry VIII is closing monasteries (hence the title) during the early 1500's. London lawyer Shardlake goes to a monastery as commissionar for Cromwell to investigate a murder. Very compelling writing and offers insights into the history of those times. P.D. James is quoted on the cover recommending this book. It's a nice way to get a little history lesson.

Just finished " The Scarecrow " by Michael Conelly , "Sail " by Patterson and "Rough Weather " by Robert Parker . All decent mysteries "Sail " was probably the best .

Just finished " The Scarecrow " by Michael Conelly , "Sail " by Patterson and "Rough Weather " by Robert Parker . All decent mysteries "Sail " was probably the best .
Better than Michael Connelly´s?

I just finished re-reading Biggest Brother The life of Major Dick Winters. Great stuff.

Not better but maybe equal . I had a hard time putting either of them down and finished them in a few hours .
Just finished Connelly´s A Darkness More Than Night. I liked it.
If you think so high of Sail, I´ll give it a try.

Here's a neat list of good personal finance and investing books that vanguard just put out, if anyone is interested. I have read a number of them myself, and many are frequently recommended by other posters here.

For some reason I've gone back to books that I read as a student:

Catcher in the Rye: loved it the first time around, not so much last week.

I'm rereading "Sometimes a Great Notion." Still a terrific read.

I do enjoy books by David Sedaris: quick, easy, funny and often insightful.

Catcher in the Rye: loved it the first time around, not so much last week.

That is on my "to read" list. Somehow I missed reading it going through school.

My reading list for the past month followes:

No Logo by Naomi Klein

Mistakes were made but not by me. by Carol Tavris

What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America Thomas Frank

The Great Derangement: A Terrifying True Story of War, Politics, and Religion at the Twilight of the American Empire by Matt Taibbi
I am just about finished this book. Since most of the book I have read this month were pretty heavy I am going to check out this one:

At Least in the City Someone Would Hear Me Scream: Misadventures in Search of the Simple Life by Wade Rouse

I'm rereading "Sometimes a Great Notion." Still a terrific read.

This is one of the very great American novels. It will be an outstanding book 100 years from now, just as the Scarlet Letter is still an outstanding book.
It explains most of what there is to be explained about the Northwest character. Whatever tiny bit Kesey misses you can get from Sherman Alexie's books.

I just finished "The Spies of Warsaw" a recent Alan Furst novel about the run-up to WW2 in Eastern Europe. Like all his stuff, very entertaining. This one I beleve is a little easier to follow than some others because it follows a more ordinary chronology.

Also I have discovered an outstanding woman writer named Carol Glickfield, and highly recommend her two works, Useful Gifts, and Swimming Toward the Ocean. If you like well written personal fiction you might like these. Also her excellent treatment of female characters (men too, really) helped me understand a little more about what it is like to be on the other side of that great divide.

Ha

I'm re-reading (for the umpteenth time) Julian May's scifi series (trilogy of series? 9 books total): The Saga of the Pliocene Exile; Intervention; and the Galactic Mileu Trilogy. Fantastic books.

Sort of stumbled onto a book that I really, really liked. It was a National Book Award nomination (2000?). Plainsong by Kent Haruf. If you grew up in a rural area/town you will relate to some of the characters in this excellent book.

t.r.

Just finished "Swallow the Ocean " by Laura Flynn . If you liked the Glass Castle you'll like this book . They are very similar .

Karen Armstrong is one of my favourite authors. I have read "The Narrow Gate", "A History of God", "Muhammad, a prophet for our time". This led me to "No god but God" by Reza Aslan, which I'm halfway through. I'm enjoying all of them.

I recently discovered Janet Evanovich 's books . They are the perfect beach book and I'm working on reading her whole series .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom