What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the morning paper i stick to Sci-Fi and recently have discovered a new to me author Dan Simmons After reading Illium i was hooked so i bought the sequel Olympos which was equally amazing, then bought all 4 books of his Hyperion collection,also riviting.

Lois McMaster Bujold, The Hallowed Hunt. Fantasy novel, maybe not quite as good as the previous two in the series (which were fantastic), but this one is still very good.

For you Jim Butcher fans, his next Harry Dresden book "Turn Coat" is out.

But before you claw your way to the front of the line, track down a less-popular four-story novella anthology called "Mean Streets". He's the first author and the other three are "OK" by comparison. But Butcher's short story picks up a year after the last book left off and gives you a nice look at the rest of the story-- with, eventually, a happy ending.

I'm still #16 in the library queue for "Turn Coat". It's almost turned me into a Kindler...

Ohhh thanks for the heads up! Seems like it has been forever since the last one.

I am reading Carolyn Myss, "Sacred Contracts" and "Book Yourself Solid" by Michael Port.

I am reading Genetics for Dummies (curious about it) and Steel Phoenix by Chris Hall. Steel Phoenix is a book about the steel industry.

Free to canoe

Recent Read

Just finished, The Lincolns: Portrait of a Marriage. It is more than a biography of two fascinating (ill-suited) individuals. It also gives many insights into the most tortuous period in American history.

My girlfriend handed me "The Kite Runner" -- guess the boy had to buy and read it for high school English -- I thought it was okay. A little simplistic and stereotypical, but a decent read. Have not seen the movie.

"Stardust Lounge" by Deborah Diggs. A memoir about a single mom raising her hellish teenage son. Amazing writing. She was so brave and unconventional. Diggs is the beautiful poet who committed suicide in April of this year.

Just finished Lisa Gardner's "Survivors Club" light reading but great for a bumpy airplane flight .

I am in the middle of "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. It's enormous, 970-something pages, and I'm about halfway through it. It's wonderful, and I'm losing sleep to stay up late and read it...

Charlotte

I'm about halfway through "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese. Got into it after hearing an NPR interview with Michael Krasny which is available on his website:

Abraham Verghese

After starting this thread, it really amazes me what a diverse set of reading tastes we all have. I'll have to try a few of these recommendations, thanks to all the contributors.

I went to the library and got an old Harlem Coben book " No second chance " . As usual I can not put his books down .

Sun Chief, an autobiography of a Hopi Indian born in 1890. He spent the first ten years at home, then ten years in English speaking, Christian boarding schools for Native Americans, then came home and found that he liked the Hopi ways/religion better. Edited by a Yale professor, first published in 1942. It is probably required reading for freshman anthropology students but this is my first exposure to it.

The Slurry Handbook.
The Rheology Handbook.
Slurry Transport Using Centrifugal Pumps.
(Really! I read them for fun.)
The People's Guide to Mexico.

Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors

"Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors" by Nicholas Wade

Masterfully answers many questions about human origins. Makes a good stab at answering the three most important questions of mankind...

Who are we?
Where did we come from?
Why are we here?

It "does a great job of synthesizing the discoveries of paleoanthropolgists with the findings of geneticists--in some cases, examination of human DNA has confirmed what paleoanthropolgists have long believed, in others it has raised new and sometimes disturbing questions."

This topic is my favorite subject and I'm on the board of an institute that studies just this topic. Exciting read.

Quantum Gods: Creation, Chaos, and the Search for Cosmic Consciousness.
Is this science or psuedoscience? I have read a few books on quantum physics and cosmology lately and like them. But this one has a new-agey subtitle that makes me suspicious. :confused:

Just Finished "The Road"by Cormac McCarthy a read I thought I would hate but couldn't put down compelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom