What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read it. She seemed like a very bitter, angry person. However, as I read I came to understand where this attitude of hopelessness and exhaustion came from. Kind of disturbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sorry, I hadn't read the last chapter, "An Open Letter to Rich People". Her description of the typical office meeting, alone, makes the rest of the book worthwhile. LOL truth.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Sorry, I hadn't read the last chapter, "An Open Letter to Rich People". Her description of the typical office meeting, alone, makes the rest of the book worthwhile. LOL truth.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

That's why I said that it was funny. I didn't really get bitterness or anger from her writing, more of a little defensive nature, like when she says she is bothered when people ask her why she and other poor people have children they can't really afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload

Probably the best book I've read in a year. Mine has to go back to the library now, but I can definitely see myself reading it again soon, or maybe even buying it. That's how much I enjoyed it.

Praise for THE ORGANIZED MIND

“Levitin is about as knowledgeable a guide to neuroscience as one might hope for...” –New York Times Book Review

"[An] impressively wide-ranging and thoughtful work..."The Organized Mind" is an organized book, but it also rewards dipping in at any point, for there are fascinating facts and examples throughout." - The Wall Street Journal

"From how not to lose your keys to how to decide when the risks of surgery are worth it, Levitin focuses on smart ways to process the constant flow of information the brain must deal with." - The Washington Post

I just started reading 'the warmth of other suns' by Isabel Wilkerson. I'll let you know how it is.

I just finished a terrific book a few minutes ago. It's call "The Martian" by Andy Weir. If you are an engineer or just want to know what engineers do then this is the book for you. I know there are a lot engineers in this forum.

Summary: A manned Mars missions aborts and ends up leaving one guy behind. He struggles for survival while trying to meet up with a rescue mission.

I just finished a terrific book a few minutes ago. It's call "The Martian" by Andy Weir. If you are an engineer or just want to know what engineers do then this is the book for you. I know there are a lot engineers in this forum.

Summary: A manned Mars missions aborts and ends up leaving one guy behind. He struggles for survival while trying to meet up with a rescue mission.

Indeed...very good in audiobook form as well.

As the result of reviews posted here I just finished "Hand to Mouth" and agree it is a good read. The library here didn't have it so I bought it from Amazon and when DW finishes it I'll donate it to the library.

Before that I read Bad Science - quacks, hacks and big pharma by Ben Goldacre, a London physician. It is an interesting read, especially the part about the placebo effect. It seems that because of it, an individual may actually be better off buying a name brand over-the-counter drug instead of the store brand if it actually works better for that person because of their belief system. Not true for everyone of course. But I have known people who believe that "if it costs more it must be better".

I just finished Michel Faber's novel " The Book of Strange New Things" and quite liked it. The jacket blurb described it as "genre-defying" which seems very apt. Ostensibly, it's science fiction (most of the story takes place on another planet) but once those pesky Laws of Physics are sidestepped, it becomes an examination of faith and alienation.
A young minister is recruited by a shadowy Megacorp to travel to a distant world to evangelize to the native inhabitants. His wife remains behind but communicates with him regarding various catastrophes that befall the Earth while he is gone. The Big Reveal concerns why those natives are so hungry for his presence.

I just finished Michel Faber's novel " The Book of Strange New Things" and quite liked it. The jacket blurb described it as "genre-defying" which seems very apt. Ostensibly, it's science fiction (most of the story takes place on another planet) but once those pesky Laws of Physics are sidestepped, it becomes an examination of faith and alienation.
A young minister is recruited by a shadowy Megacorp to travel to a distant world to evangelize to the native inhabitants. His wife remains behind but communicates with him regarding various catastrophes that befall the Earth while he is gone. The Big Reveal concerns why those natives are so hungry for his presence.

Oh good! I'm looking at it in my bookshelf. I will get to it soon.

I just finished Being Mortal - Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande. I was alerted to this excellent book by Midpack in the following thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/being-mortal-new-book-73924.html#post1501127.

The first half of the book talks about the aging process, and how the nursing homes and assisted living centers could accomodate the seniors better and make them feel more at home. The second half of the book describes the difficult choices that patients of terminal illness and their family have to make at the end when modern medicine brings diminished returns and is often harmful.

The author is a Boston surgeon and a professor at the Harvard Medical School. Even though both of his parents were also physicians, all three did not know what to expect when his father underwent surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy for a spinal tumor. In the end, they reluctantly accepted that imminent death was at the doorstep, and they would better prepare for it. And despite being physicians, they welcome the help of skilled hospice nurses; palliative care alleviated the mental anguish as much as the physical pain.

The public library has more than a dozen copies of this book, and still I had to reserve it and waited for more than a month before it was my turn. I discovered that Gawande had a couple of more books, and already reserved them.

Last edited:
I highly recommend The Unquiet Dead. Beautifully written by Canadian human rights lawyer Ausma Zehanat Khan, it is ostensibly a mystery set in present day Toronto, but is more an exploration of the horrors of the Bosnian genocide in the early 90s and the effects that echo on.

"Eat the Yolks", an explanation of how our nutrition guidance got so screwed up and how to eat healthy ... Paleo.

"Grain Brain" a neurologist that has found that many of his patients are cured by removing gluten and refined foods from their diet.

I just finished "The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes -- and Why" by Amanda Ripley. The author examines how people react in disasters, both individually and in groups, and explores the psychology and physiology of those varied responses. She also explores what makes certain people resilient and able to function where others are not. Not surprisingly, she concludes that planning and preparation can alter what would otherwise be our normal animal instincts of denial and freezing. I found it all fascinating. It received nearly universally positive reviews on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Unthinkable-S...-+and+why&pebp=1422848063893&peasin=307352900

Last edited:
I am more than halfway through the book, "How We Got to Now," by Steven Johnson. Johnson describes the history behind several discoveries and inventions which were crucial to improving the quality of life and how they interacted with each other to cause other, unforeseen impacts on our everyday lives years later. Interesting read.

Currently reading "Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela". A great reminder of how precious freedom really is and what a positive force forgiveness can be.

What have you read recently?

I am nearly through my first re-read of To Kill A Mockingbird in I-don't-know-how-long (still a fantastic novel) and now this about another novel by Harper Lee to appear later in 2015:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/harper-...-to-to-kill-a-mockingbird-unfolded-1423270702

To say I'm psyched is putting it mildly.

Edit: that seems to be a link that requires WSJ subscription, sorry. I do not subscribe but found it with a Google search for "harper lee".

Last edited:
I am nearly through my first re-read of To Kill A Mockingbird in I-don't-know-how-long (still a fantastic novel) and now this about another novel by Harper Lee to appear later in 2015:

Harper Lee Bombshell: How News of Book Related to ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ Unfolded - WSJ

To say I'm psyched is putting it mildly.

Edit: that seems to be a link that requires WSJ subscription, sorry. I do not subscribe but found it with a Google search for "harper lee".

Just an FYI for anyone who may be interested -- if you copy and paste the url above into the Google search box, the first result you get will be this article and you can read it without needing a WSJ subscription. This also works with many other password protected articles.

What have you read recently?

Just an FYI for anyone who may be interested -- if you copy and paste the url above into the Google search box, the first result you get will be this article and you can read it without needing a WSJ subscription. This also works with many other password protected articles.

That's great! Good to know somebody knows the tips and ins and outs around this jook joint.

I did finish my re-read and my opinion of the book is better than ever. I read the "enhanced edition", which adds commentaries, videos, and audio with Sissy Spacek reading a chapter. I discovered those enhancements did not work on my Paperwhite, but were fine on the Kindle app. Maybe a Fire might work.

As much as I like Sissy Spacek, the voice of Scout in the film is indelible in my mind. It helps that the actress (Mary Badham) was a dead-on lookalike for this little girl I had a big crush on in about 7th grade. She was a little sister tag-along on a date one of my older siblings went on. The four of us went to see a free screening at the library of guess-what.

Last edited:
After reading the most recent book by Atul Gawande, a surgeon, as reported here, I requested from the library his first two books.

In his first book, Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science (2002), Gawande talks about fallability of doctors, who of course make human mistakes in their work. He next describes some anecdotal puzzling illnesses that he personally knows of. The last part of the book retells some cases he was personally involved in that had ambiguous symptoms, and doctors could easily take the wrong course of action.

In his second book, Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance (2007), Gawande talks about how some doctors provide better care with their diligence and ingenuity. Near the end of the book, he describes how he is impressed with Indian surgeons who manage to treat impoverished patients with so little equipment, and who are able to perform many different operations that he would not dare to tackle.

In my younger days, I would not be too interested in books like these, but after seeing our parents through old age, illness and death, and myself at the age when maladies start to sneak up on you, and indeed having been through some major operations for a life-threatening disease, I appreciate these books on medicine subjects more. Gawande has many interesting stories to tell, and he knows how to write for laymen.

Hi NW-Bound, which Gawande book do you recommend as a first read? Also do you get a bit depressed by this kind of book?

DW avoids any TV documentaries that involve unpleasant issues of health. So I don't tend to see them. She has been personally very upset by her friend's health issues even though the friend seems to be happy and outwardly in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom