What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rereading Amazon.com: On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington) eBook: David Weber: Kindle Store

The good new is the book is free!

But come to find out that the movie will actually start with the next book in the series (The Honor of the Queen).

David's Essays || David Weber

If you like sci-fi, this one is pretty enjoyable to me. Interlaced with plenty of politics, relationships, grudges, all set in a universe of planet systems in cooperation and conflict. At the center of it all is Honor Harrington, who gets into a lot of jams, but never takes the easy way out.

This is a great series, There are also several spin off series. I didn't know there was to be a movie. Honor of the Queen is one of my favorites in the entire series,

"Quiet- The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't stop talking" by Susan Cain. Recommended by someone on this forum. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to whoever it was!

Rereading Amazon.com: On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington) eBook: David Weber: Kindle Store

The good new is the book is free!

But come to find out that the movie will actually start with the next book in the series (The Honor of the Queen).

David's Essays || David Weber

If you like sci-fi, this one is pretty enjoyable to me. Interlaced with plenty of politics, relationships, grudges, all set in a universe of planet systems in cooperation and conflict. At the center of it all is Honor Harrington, who gets into a lot of jams, but never takes the easy way out.

Just downloaded this and it's now on my list of stuff to get to.

Thanks for the tip!

"Quiet- The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't stop talking" by Susan Cain. Recommended by someone on this forum. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks to whoever it was!
I also executed on that recommendation. I love it when I see an interesting title here, then pop over to the library site and they have it in the collection. By putting a hold on it, a library staffer even pulls it out of the stacks for me!

This one just made it to the top of my reading list as the Kindle edition is now $2.99 at Amazon.

Thanks, good to know. I plan to order it at that price.

Just wrapped up this gem, and can't wait to read his next book. The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University: Kevin Roose: 0971494342917: Amazon.com: Books

Kevin Roose got his start as a research assistant for the author of another of my favorite new-ish books, AJ Jacobs of The Year of Living Biblically (which is hilarious and very interesting if you haven't read it). This is his account of a semester "abroad" from Brown, at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.

I really enjoyed this book. I expected it to be a lot more critical of evangelical Christians, but the author's humor and young age really made him open up and talk about the good and the bad of the university, his fellow students, and his own contemplation forced by adhering (mostly) to the "Liberty Way".

This was a great read, and I'm looking forward to his recently published book about young people on Wall Street, called Young Money. I've read an excerpt of it and found it compelling.

Young Money — Kevin Roose

Just finished Retirement Heist by Ellen Shultz. I need to read something more uplifting. :(

I probably posted this before, but just got back to it... An EPub file from Gutenberg. Also pdf.
One of the earliest editions of the Boy Scout Handbook 1911.
Will bring back memories to anyone who was a scout, and would be a fantastic book for a Prepper, even today.
The basics for scouting came from survival tactics stemming from army training before the First World War.
A wonderful experience for the pictures and for the simple honesty and morality that was the basis for the BSA.

Boy Scouts Handbook by Boy Scouts of America - Free Ebook

Attachments

• Scouts.jpg
    Scouts.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Men on Strike, by Dr. Helen Smith

by Helen Smith, PhD: Men on Strike; Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream -- and Why It Matters. "Men on Strike is an important contribution to understanding the sexual disequilibrium feminism left in its wake." -- James Taranto, The Wall Street Journal. Now 74, I've been on strike, conducting this boycott personally for forty years. I didn't think anyone noticed. It is especially welcome that the author is a woman. For me, as a man, being presented as the doofus in commercial ads and sit coms gets very, very old. From the dust jacket: "American society has become anti-male. Men are sensing the backlash and are consciously and unconsciously going 'on strike'." Please look, for example, at Chapter 4, Why Does Dad Stay in the Basement? Having just finished it, I recommend the book to any people who love and respect any man, or want to have such men in their lives.

This is the 4th in a series about a detective inspector in Botswana:
Deadly Harvest: A Detective Kubu Mystery: Michael Stanley: 9780062221520: Amazon.com: Books

You learn about some of the culture and customs in Botswana (landlocked country above South Africa). This book features a discussion about the use and abuse of muti, the potions concocted by witch doctors.

I will look for this series, I liked the No. 1 Ladies Detective books also taking place in Botswana, thanks for sharing..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_No._1_Ladies'_Detective_Agency

by Helen Smith, PhD: Men on Strike; Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream -- and Why It Matters. "Men on Strike is an important contribution to understanding the sexual disequilibrium feminism left in its wake." -- James Taranto, The Wall Street Journal. Now 74, I've been on strike, conducting this boycott personally for forty years. I didn't think anyone noticed. It is especially welcome that the author is a woman. For me, as a man, being presented as the doofus in commercial ads and sit coms gets very, very old. From the dust jacket: "American society has become anti-male. Men are sensing the backlash and are consciously and unconsciously going 'on strike'." Please look, for example, at Chapter 4, Why Does Dad Stay in the Basement? Having just finished it, I recommend the book to any people who love and respect any man, or want to have such men in their lives.

Interesting. Seems this topic is gaining traction now. My son is into it and has been trying to make me understand his side. He watches a YouTube video about it. Here is a link to her.

Her name is Karen Straughn. Being a very suppressed (female) back in the 60's and 70,s it was initially hard for me to understand as I had a tough time in a man's world, and I didn't like the one that was pigeon holed for me. Here is a video from her channel addressing this particular subject matter you mention in the book.

Though I do not agree in entirety with all of her view points held, I do see a great deal of validity in some of her points and agree with some of her analogies. Of course much more so in the last ten to twenty years than back in the 60's and 70's.. You must hold an "open mind" to the concept because the inclination, (especially by older women like myself 72 yrs) is to dismiss it perhaps based on older times and experiences. But much has changed since then, and that pendulum does have a knack for swinging too far back too often.

A skit was just done on Saturday Nite Live addressing it, and also Jon Stewart had something on his show recently.

I am currently reading Son of Hamas, by Mossman Hassam Yousef. It is the story of a son of a leading Imam in Palestine, and discusses the impact of growing up in the midst of the Middle East conflict on him and his family, eventually leading to his conversion to Christianity. It is well written but I find I have more questions than answers.

Son of Hamas: A Gripping Account of Terror, Betrayal, Political Intrigue, and Unthinkable Choices: Mosab Hassan Yousef, Brackin Ron Brackin : 9781414333083: Books - Amazon.ca

This is the 4th in a series about a detective inspector in Botswana:
Deadly Harvest: A Detective Kubu Mystery: Michael Stanley: 9780062221520: Amazon.com: Books

You learn about some of the culture and customs in Botswana (landlocked country above South Africa). This book features a discussion about the use and abuse of muti, the potions concocted by witch doctors.

Have put this one, and A Carrion Death on our library list.....thanks, (we enjoyed our visit to Botswana several years ago).

This book is on its way to my through my local library system. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for posting it.

I do take issue with the book's title which seems to imply that marriage and fatherhood are part of the American Dream. I am 50 and have no plans to marry any time soon and have known since I was 20 that I would be childfree. But my definition of the American Dream has been achieved already - I retired at 45, 5 years ago.

Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America.

2013 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction

Excellent and fast read of a criminal trial and crusaders for civil rights in the courts, involving perhaps America's greatest lawyer of the 20th Century. I read this book in two sittings.

This one just made it to the top of my reading list as the Kindle edition is now $2.99 at Amazon.

It was worth at full Kindle price...To bad Amazon doesn't give rebates.

The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University, by Kevin Roose, is a surprisingly positive look at Liberty University by a sorta secular Brown University junior. Instead of taking a semester abroad, Roose, a vaguely Christian, Quaker raised, liberal Brown student decides to transfer to Falwell's Liberty University and immerse himself in right wing evangelical fundamentalism, and write a book about it. You might expect a snarky, sarcastic put down but it is not. It turns out to be a nuanced, sympathetic look at a biverse group of pretty committed students. Roose remains unsympathetic to much of the culture wars stuff (e.g., the anti gay agenda) and the lack of intellectual freedom, but he comes to like most of the people he meets and to appreciate their world view to a degree. Interesting book.

Last edited:
Just wrapped up this gem, and can't wait to read his next book. The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University: Kevin Roose: 0971494342917: Amazon.com: Books

Kevin Roose got his start as a research assistant for the author of another of my favorite new-ish books, AJ Jacobs of The Year of Living Biblically (which is hilarious and very interesting if you haven't read it). This is his account of a semester "abroad" from Brown, at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.

I really enjoyed this book. I expected it to be a lot more critical of evangelical Christians, but the author's humor and young age really made him open up and talk about the good and the bad of the university, his fellow students, and his own contemplation forced by adhering (mostly) to the "Liberty Way".

This was a great read, and I'm looking forward to his recently published book about young people on Wall Street, called Young Money. I've read an excerpt of it and found it compelling.

Young Money — Kevin Roose

An echo in here...Glad you liked it too!

I've got Young Money waiting for me, you should definitely try that one next as well. I do really like his writing style and he gave the Falwell crowd a very fair shake. :)

I've got Young Money waiting for me, you should definitely try that one next as well. I do really like his writing style and he gave the Falwell crowd a very fair shake. :)
I put a hold on it but the library's advanced orders have not yet arrived.

I have been reading Liane Moriarty 's books . What Alice Forgot & My Husband's Secret . They are interesting tales of complicated lives and what ifs . Really enjoyable reading .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom