What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed all of Nelson DeMille's work. I am just starting Elmore Leonard's last 'Raylan' . Based on the tv series Justified which was based on his short story Fire in the Hole.

I just read "The Big Fat Surprise" about how the whole "saturated fat is bad for you" idea came about and how the researchers and government got everything so horribly wrong. Fascinating and meticulously researched book by Nina Teichholz. Of course, I love this sort of book- might not be your cup of tea at all.

The last good FICTION book was "A Fall of Marigolds" which was one of those books that alternates between the past and present. The past was about a fire in a shirtwaist factory in NYC, the present was about the World Trade Center attacks. Very good.

I just read "The Big Fat Surprise" about how the whole "saturated fat is bad for you" idea came about and how the researchers and government got everything so horribly wrong. Fascinating and meticulously researched book by Nina Teichholz. Of course, I love this sort of book- might not be your cup of tea at all.

An outstanding book. Very impressive research, and quite convincing.

Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run. Fascinating. His descriptions of childhood and detail of every experience is riveting. I have the audio book, I like walking, cleaning as I listen. He narrates and his voice draws you in. Other audio books, I hurry through some chapters, even with well known authors (I like crime/spy novels). This book I savor every chapter because challenges, abuse and overcoming anxiety/depression. He did not do drugs as many might think.

I just started reading "Robin," a biography of the late Robin Williams. It's a very long book (nearly 500 pages), so I have to read the library book quickly or hope to renew it 2 weeks from now when it becomes due. I'm up to only his college years, but already the foundation for his humor and personality is being formed. One big example is how his dad let him stay up late as a kid to watch The Tonight Show when Jack Paar hosted it. Williams was quite taken with guest and comedian Jonathan Winters who became his idol later on.

Reading three

Final Days -Woodwards account of Nixon's final days

A Spy and a Traitor-Macintyre's book about the Soviet spy Oleg Gordievsky

The Righteous-Martin Gilbert's account of those who shielded Jews from the Nazis

Just finished Jack Bardsky's book about his time as a KGB sleeper agent in the US and then becoming a US citizen.

One Mind, by Larry Dossey. Good survey of the research and stories supporting the idea of non-local consciousness (mind does not equal brain, we're all connected, etc.). He keeps the chapters short and pithy, which I appreciate.

Finished two books by Michael Lewis and I like them both.

The Undoing Project
The story of how Kahneman and Tversky came to write their pioneering research on human behavior. If you recognize the names you will enjoy hearing their story.

The Fifth Risk
It is about what some of the departments of the US government do and how they impact our life. Most of what the Energy department does has little to do with energy production. Most of what the Agriculture does has little to do with food production. The purpose and benefits of long term research and planning are explained clearly. Some of the heroes of these Departments are biographed.
Everyone should know this stuff and almost no one does.

Thanks for posting.

I just finished The Fifth Risk. I always learned something worthwhile from Michael Lewis books, and this is no exception.

I will reserve The Undoing Project from the library next.

Life After Google, by George Gilder. Explains why AI isn't that I, how Google and other big data and machine intelligence oriented companies like FB and AMZN, may be nearing the end of their reign, and what the disrupters of the next stage may look like.

I've always liked Gilder, even though his monthly newsletter Technlogy Report(?) of almost 20 years ago probably cost a lot of investors a lot of $ in the TechWreck. But his understanding and explanations of where tech is going are very thought provoking.

Thanks. That reminded me of him. I read that one and just checked the library and downloaded Every Night I Dream of Hell.

Ah...did you recommend his book on here some time back? We have a list of authors on the 'puter, and yesterday when I went to add his name and the Lewis Winter book, it was already on there!

Cause of some puzzlement, 'cause I knew I/we hadn't read it earlier, nor had we just plugged it in. :LOL:

Ah...did you recommend his book on here some time back? We have a list of authors on the 'puter, and yesterday when I went to add his name and the Lewis Winter book, it was already on there!

Cause of some puzzlement, 'cause I knew I/we hadn't read it earlier, nor had we just plugged it in. :LOL:
i:) I don’t remember. I would guess I learned about here but maybe posted.

IQ by Joe Ide is an interesting detective novel. Isaiah Quintabe is an East LA teen who hooks up with a neighborhood gang banger, initially for crime but ultimately as a sort of Robin Hood amateur detective helping the community. I liked it enough to put a hold on the second in the series.

Death Cleaning

I just requested it from the library. My mom got it as a gift and, always wanting to find ways to declutter, jumped on it.

The gentle art of Swedish death cleaning : how to free yourself and your family from a lifetime of clutter / text and drawings by Margareta Magnusson

Charlotte Mecklenburg Library - Classic Catalog

You don't need a book, you need a fire. Ask T-Al about the "joy" of decluttering when his house burned a few years a go.
+1

We lost all our belongings in an int'l move in '90. Since then, much easier to let things go. Just stuff ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom