Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #321
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That's a great little player. I've had one for several years (black and 2GB internal at the time), and use it quite a bit. It has a micro-SD slot, so I bought some cheap 4 and 8 GB cards, and I can have different mixes of music on each card. It even handles the open source formats like .ogg and .flac (lossless).

I just wish they made one with a larger display and a few more buttons so you don't need to go through so many menus. But it seems the next steps up do much more (that I don't need), and get much more $ fast.

-ERD50
All I wish is that it would survive a bout with my washing machine, but no chance of that, I'm sure! Hopefully that will not happen again. Otherwise I am happy with it as is.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #322
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I ordered Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers by Evening.

Amazon did a piss-poor job of packing the book and it arrived damaged twice (and we sent it back each time). The the third copy came today (from a different location) and was okay (had a small ding but not too bad).

The company is ruthless about efficiency so I can only assume the poor packing job was intentional. In fact, if hadn't been FIRED I might have kept the second one as it is a pain returning it. Probably they count on this.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I ordered Adobe Photoshop CC for Photographers by Evening.
Despite the travails of finally having the intact book in your hands you're going to enjoy the book. The most detailed books I've ever read on Photoshop and Lightroom software were written by him.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #324

Just ordered two of these: A cooler for boxed wines

I got one about a week ago and it turns out to be a very well built product. The cost with shipping was about $18. However the cost with two was only $30. Only $5 shipping for two. I am not sure about the company that makes these. Thew are/were out of Atlanta. I found reference to a website, but it appears it does not exist anymore. When I received the first one I went back to Amazon to order the others as gifts, and it said something to the effect Out and don't know if it will be in stock. Today they showed up again.

This thing takes 5 ltrs of boxed wine with room for a frozen block on top. Great for the boat or a picnic.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Despite the travails of finally having the intact book in your hands you're going to enjoy the book. The most detailed books I've ever read on Photoshop and Lightroom software were written by him.
Yeah I'm looking forward to reading it (all 700 pages of goodness). Now that I'm fired, I actually have some time to read something non-work related.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #326
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy about 1 Kindle book a week from Amazon. I still can't believe I can buy a book online and start reading it within a minute on my iPad. Saves me a lot of trips to the bookstore.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #327
Full time employment: Posting here.

A great little game called Zingo by ThinkFun for a charity toy drive at w#rk.

The book "Little Lost Unicorn" by Lorna Hussey, for my favorite 6.5-year-old in the world, who is newly obsessed with unicorns.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #328

Amazon refunded our purchase for the book and my wife got way too excited about that.

However, the mother-in-law unearthed a whole roomful of old pictures that she had in her laundry room. Some of these go back to when her great-grandfather was in Sweden (before coming to the US). DW wants to scan everything so she ordered a scanner:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-CanoScan...dp/B00AGV7TQG/

We actually had this scanner before and used it to digitize all of our personal photos. We sold it though on ebay.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #329

I have a Kindle and a couple of days ago, the lock screen showed a 'kindle only deal' for a coffee pot. It normally sells for $79 but for a very short period, they offered it for $20. They had 7,000 available and by the time it was 'open for purchase' and I made my purchase, they had sold out. I am a prime member and should have gotten it today but there is a delay in shipping until next Tuesday. This is happening more and more, so don't think I'm going to renew the prime membership when it comes up for renewal.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #330

I've taken a cue from others here and added a few small things I needed but would normally pick up locally to my order. What I originally wanted was a 5-year Q&A diary (I actually ordered two different ones and will keep one and give the other to DD for her birthday). Then I remembered that some of our blue ice cooler packs have vanished, so ordered 2 of them. And when I was working at my scrapbooking table yesterday, realized I need a power strip for it (lights, computer, Cricut, etc.). Finally, bought a replacement splash guard for our garbage disposer (which we bought originally from Amazon). Got the free shipping and it will be a fun box to open next week.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #331

I ordered this for my young kids to use with a tablet on long car rides:

Amazon.com: iKross Extension 360 Degrees Rotation Car Mount Tablet Backseat Headrest Mount Holder for 7 ~ 10.2 inch Tablet: Apple iPad 4, 5 Air, iPad Mini, Acer Iconia Tab B1-720 / One 7 B1-730, A1-830, TAB 7 A1-713; ASUS M80TA, Transformer Book T100
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #332

Ordered an Amazon Basic wireless mouse for my son for his birthday. He really likes it. Getting it here was "interesting". I have Prime. They sent the mouse via UPS to Colorado Springs and from there it went to USPS. USPS does not deliver up here in the mountain boondocks. In the tracking memos first they said they couldn't find me. Then they said I had requested a change of address. I called Amazon and told them that stuff to me has got to go by UPS to get here and that I didn't know what happened to the mouse. They canceled that order and refunded my money. They also told me to reorder and request one day delivery and that they would refund me the cost of the one day delivery. They did that. On the morning of the day I was supposed to get the second mouse one of the nice people from the Kid's Camp down the street a couple of miles stopped by with the original mouse. The USPS had put their PO Box on it and delivered it in the local town. I got it about one week after it was to arrive and a week after my son's birthday. I called Amazon and they gave me a mailing label so when the UPS guy showed up in the evening, I put the return label on the package he brought and gave it back to him.

Somehow, I think the USPS service is a bit lacking! No problems with Amazon's service, but I sure hope they don't try to send me anything through USPS again.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Somehow, I think the USPS service is a bit lacking! No problems with Amazon's service, but I sure hope they don't try to send me anything through USPS again.
I have nothing personal against the USPS, but it's also a "bit lacking" in regular communities with daily service.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 AM   #334
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just ordered this "sucker" to clean up after two messy cats....

Amazon.com - Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer, FH50150 - Carpet Steam Cleaners
Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #335
Recycles dryer sheets

Roof racks for my Prius
Old 08-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #336

Actually a three pack for $25. They do look real. I ordered them because of an individual in our neighborhood that has caused a situation. It was worth the money just to have him think he might be on camera.

This was the one before that. Have not used them enough to evaluate. Very sharp, and seem to be worth the price.($30) If I remember I will post in six months or so and update my opinion.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #337
Give me a forum ...

A ream of A4 paper because it was cheaper than Office Depot and less hassle than going to that store. Third party supplier offered free shipping.

The VERY NEXT DAY - I get a delivery from Sam's Club. It's my paper!

It turns out that Sams Club sells this paper with free home delivery for a pretty good price. The "third party seller" on Amazon simply ordered it from Sam's Club on my behalf!

Fine with me as I don't have a Sam's Club membership, and the markup was a whopping 98 cents. Can't beat the one day delivery either.

Hilarious!! LOL
Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
A ream of A4 paper because it was cheaper than Office Depot and less hassle than going to that store. Third party supplier offered free shipping.

The VERY NEXT DAY - I get a delivery from Sam's Club. It's my paper!

It turns out that Sams Club sells this paper with free home delivery for a pretty good price. The "third party seller" on Amazon simply ordered it from Sam's Club on my behalf!

Fine with me as I don't have a Sam's Club membership, and the markup was a whopping 98 cents. Can't beat the one day delivery either.

Hilarious!! LOL
I have done similar. This has to end soon, and badly for some company eating the losses.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #339
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I have done similar. This has to end soon, and badly for some company eating the losses.
What losses? That Sam's Club offers the paper at a good price to members and chooses to offer free shipping? That Office Depot sells it for a highish price like most of their products, and that I dislike setting foot in their store? Walmart and grocery stores have been undercutting Office Depot for decades.

I just thought it interesting this little bit of arbitrage on Sam's Club products through Amazon. I've seen Costco products offered on Amazon - but usually for an outrageous markup, like 2x.

I don't know whether Sam's Club would consider this fair use of their membership or not, but since they cater to small businesses, it may be just fine with them.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #340

I have to believe the "losses" will be taken in the delivery chain (I should have made that point). When I can get a $5 set of earbuds ordered through Amazon on Friday night and delivered free to me on Sunday morning by UPS, someone is taking a hit.