What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

. :D

As for me, despite the market downturn I ordered a Vitamix. I have never had one, and I thought it might make a good consolation prize after not getting that house I wanted. Naturally I got one of the more expensive models at what may not be the cheapest source in order to provide even greater consolation. :rolleyes:

When you said expensive I figured $199 . I never knew blenders could be so expensive .I 'm ashamed to say I have this model & it gets almost daily use .Black and Decker 10-Speed Counter Top Blender and I got it on sale for $34.99

My previous employer had a wellness program that, in addition to giving you a 50% discount on health insurance premiums, also gave brownie points toward merchandise if you stayed active, got bloodwork, etc. Shortly before I quit they changed it to allow redemption for Amazon.com credits. As soon as I decided to resign I redeemed my points for $430 in Amazon.com credits. Two days after I left I lost access to the wellness program site- a little factoid HR failed to volunteer. Good thing I'd already taken action. This morning my ancient laptop died and I just ordered a new Asus hybrid with money left over for a fancy case. Nice parting gift!

. :D

As for me, despite the market downturn I ordered a Vitamix. I have never had one, and I thought it might make a good consolation prize after not getting that house I wanted. Naturally I got one of the more expensive models at what may not be the cheapest source in order to provide even greater consolation. :rolleyes:

When you said expensive I figured $199 . I never knew blenders could be so expensive .I 'm ashamed to say I have this model & it gets almost daily use .Black and Decker 10-Speed Counter Top Blender and I got it on sale for $34.99

It was definitely orders of magnitude cheaper than buying and living in a bigger house would have been! :D I have had blenders similar to yours before and yes, they are much cheaper. I used all of my rewards points and got a whole bunch more when I bought it, but still, no doubt about it, a Vitamix is costly.

My level of consolation is immense.... :LOL: It is amazing what a Vitamix can do and I have been putting it through its paces.

Last edited:
It was definitely orders of magnitude cheaper than buying and living in a bigger house would have been! :D I have had blenders similar to yours before and yes, they are much cheaper. I used all of my rewards points and got a whole bunch more when I bought it, but still, no doubt about it, a Vitamix is costly.

My level of consolation is immense.... :LOL: It is amazing what a Vitamix can do and I have been putting it through its paces.

We have one, bought when I was still w*rking, some know that drill. Vitamix is a great brand. I haven't found anything it won't eat. The other week DW had a memory lapse used a wooden spoon instead of the plastic poker.

Vitamix 1, spoon 0, we wondered how smooth frozen mixed fruit, yogurt, and wooden spoon would be? Certainly high in fiber. But then decided to start over.

Sorry bought the house, must be something better coming your way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

[-]DW[/-] We just got a Vitamix. This is expensive but not a luxury. We need a workhorse, having been through 5 blenders in 13 years, can't afford to waste any more money on blenders that aren't up to the task.

We should open a extension of Consumer Reports in our kitchen, the appliances sure get a workout. DW prepares two meals a day from scratch, along with lots of soups, broths and juices.

Sorry bought the house, must be something better coming your way.

Thanks. I am hoping so. That house has been sold, although we haven't heard what they got for it yet. My realtor felt like we offered the maximum the comps could support. So, I suspect that the buyers overpaid.

I agree with those who tell me that it just wasn't meant to be. Somewhere out there, there is another house that I will like even better. I am still keeping my eyes open and will pounce on it once it comes along. Meanwhile, I am saving lots each month in property taxes and insurance, and I started getting social security this year too so I thought I'd splurge a bit.

[-]DW[/-] We just got a Vitamix. This is expensive but not a luxury. We need a workhorse, having been through 5 blenders in 13 years, can't afford to waste any more money on blenders that aren't up to the task.
Yes, it is tough! It does a great job, too, and can handle anything I can throw at it. It is just what I wanted. I wouldn't put a wooden spoon in it, though, after reading MRG's post.

Last edited:

Yes, it's really great. Costco often has a good price on it.

A snow shovel since we moved to Colorado from Phoenix

The dark comedy, Neo Ned.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I just ordered a newer version of that call blocker what I got about a week ago.

http://www.amazon.com/SENTRY-Blocke...qid=1414091046&sr=8-2&keywords=sentry+blocker

Sentry version 2 – telsentry.com

This one tackles two user complaints and now offers 1) the ability to create a whitelist directly (not having to wait for the number to call) and 2) an option to shut off the ringer.

I will got til after the election to return the old blocker. So, I'll use my old blocker til then or until I get the new one to stop calls in the mean time.

I just ordered 2 different large sets of colored pencils and 7 'adult' (as in, not Barney or the Smurfs) coloring books. I've always enjoyed doodling and coloring and such, and then recently came across a short article in the Huffington Post that re-sparked my memory. "....it turns out coloring can be beneficial for adults -- namely for its de-stressing power. The practice generates wellness, quietness and also stimulates brain areas related to motor skills, the senses and creativity."

It will be a nice way to wile away some time this winter!

The last order that I received last week, was a case of 24 cans of mackerel, and 3 bags of dried figs (2.5# per bag). Our local stores carry neither.

I just ordered 2 different large sets of colored pencils and 7 'adult' (as in, not Barney or the Smurfs) coloring books. I've always enjoyed doodling and coloring and such, and then recently came across a short article in the Huffington Post that re-sparked my memory. "....it turns out coloring can be beneficial for adults -- namely for its de-stressing power. The practice generates wellness, quietness and also stimulates brain areas related to motor skills, the senses and creativity."

I buy those coloring books as a gift for a friend. She likes the Ruth Heller & Jeannette Bowers books. She said it's relaxing. She's also a big doodler and loves Zentangles.

It will be a nice way to wile away some time this winter!

The last order that I received last week, was a case of 24 cans of mackerel, and 3 bags of dried figs (2.5# per bag). Our local stores carry neither.

Goonie! It's good to see you. I hope life is treating you kindly these days. I think that getting colored pencils and coloring books is a wonderful idea for de-stressing. I didn't know that they even made them with more mature themes than the smurfs.

Glad you popped in, and I hope you decide to stick around for a bit. :)

- - - W2R (formerly Want2Retire)

Gallon jug pump ($7, Prime) for my diesel fuel lubricity additive. Need to put in in 6 ounce bottles so I can use one at each fill up. ;)

Goonie! It's good to see you. I hope life is treating you kindly these days. I think that getting colored pencils and coloring books is a wonderful idea for de-stressing. I didn't know that they even made them with more mature themes than the smurfs.

Glad you popped in, and I hope you decide to stick around for a bit. :)

- - - W2R (formerly Want2Retire)

Life has been, and is GREAT! I have no stress to de-stress from, but I think it will be very relaxing and fill some time since my gardening is about wrapped up 'til spring.

I'll probably be hanging around, off and on, for a while.:flowers:

Add me to the list of folks glad to see you back, Goonie. :)
You gotta do something until spring, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Hey Goonie, didn't you have an extensive train set, or my memory fails me again?

About the Vitamix, my daughter has one as she likes to blend veggie for drinks. We prefer to eat our veggie and fruits, and not drink them. We use ours once or twice a year, and our last cheapo model has been with us for 2 decades.

Bought Fog lights for my Honda Fit for $82 each. Rocks have broken out the lenses and the dealer and other shops wanted $300 total to replace them both. I shall now discover how easy or not replacing them myself really is.

Books, of course! But I am looking at an external battery pack for my digital toys (after 30 hours w/o electricity).

-- Rita

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom