What is the first thing you ordered from Amazon? And when?

1998 ordered "Financial Planning for the Utterly Confused " . I still have that book & I still occasionally use it .

Well, this is embarrassing...two books and a Nickelback CD, in 2002.

Mine goes back to 12/2007. It shows I purchased Planet Earth,the complete series Blue Ray, and Garmin Nuvi 360 for my DH and Quicken Premier for my DS-in-law.

December 19, 1999: A book "The Complete Reference Guide, Access 2000" and a $30 Amazon gift card for my dad for his birthday.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Fascinating!
My first order was a book in July, 1996:
Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama

Second order was still 1996, a few months later:
The CICS Programmer's Desk Reference, by Dough Lowe

I hasten to point out that the tech book was for DW, who was (and is) far geekier than I am.

Edit to add: So far, this seems to be the earliest order.

Last edited:
Quicken shows my first order was January 24, 1999 but the first order in the Amazon account is from September of 2003 - a set of kitchen knives as a present for older daughter.

In 1999 I bought the first Christmas present for my soon to be hubby (we got married 1/1/2000). It was a Garmin GPS III Plus Personal Navigator that he could use on his boat, and we could use on our planned sabbatical road trip.

In early 2000 I purchased a guide book to Budapest - which was where we were going in the 2nd half of our planned sabbatical.
That's pretty early for non-book purchases.

It looks like our first non-book or non-DVD/non-CD/non computer software purchase was in 2001 when we ordered a rather expensive high resolution film scanner, the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000. We still have it, but we haven't scanned film in a very long time.

Our first purchase in 1998 was a gift for a nephew, a dvd of Scooby Do, Arabian Nights.

The first purchase for ourselves was a book on NC Wyeth, the artist.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I didn't know they order went back to the beginning.
April 4, 1997. "Time Out:How to Renew your life and work"

I have no rememberance of the book. But judging by the content of the book, I must have been thinking about changing jobs/retiring back then. I really don't remember thinking about retiring until early 98 a year or so before doing it.

• Complete Guide to Conjugating 12,000 French Verbs (DW's)

Be sure to read the sequel, "Watching Paint Dry"... :LOL:

First order, AFAICT, was The Bible on PC, circa 2000. Gift for my dad...

Was three years later before my next order, a bunch of DVD movies.

A U-Nam CD, "Back from the 80's" for my husband in 2007.

I ordered a skateboard for my son's birthday in June 2000. The only order that year. 2001: two orders, both books. 2002: eight orders. About 10 orders per year the next six years, then it started to ramp up. Last year: 218 orders.

I ordered a skateboard for my son's birthday in June 2000. The only order that year. 2001: two orders, both books. 2002: eight orders. About 10 orders per year the next six years, then it started to ramp up. Last year: 218 orders.

Wow, that's a logarithmic progression. Have your non-online purchases decreased accordingly?

... On April 30, 1998, my first Amazon order was 3 books on finances ...

If you ordered back in the 90s, you probably ordered books. Back then Amazon was pretty much a book retailer...

You can look up your order history under "your account" on the Amazon site, and you should be able to find your first order...

You made me look. Son of a gun, all my past orders were there, all the way back to March 1997. I bought Interfacing to the IBM Personal Computer. This was in the days of the ISA and IBM Micro Channel busses, which predated the PCI bus. I am sure I still have this book, packed in a box somewhere in the garage.

Wow ... this was a walk down memory lane.
First order was November, 1996 (!), two books:

Access Denied : Dilbert's Quest for Love in the Nineties
and
Secrets of Self-Employment : Surviving and Thriving on the Ups and Downs of Being Your Own Boss

Haven't (yet) done the be-your-own boss route, but DW has. That I was laughing at Dilbert not yet 3 yrs into professional career says alot in its own way

November 13, 1996: Three books, two for fun and one for a kid. The Pinball Effect...; How to make a chemical volcano...: and "In the name of Eugenics: Genetics and the Uses of Human Heredity."

Surprised that I've not hit 1000 non-digital orders yet, but getting close.

Amazon is making a big deal about the 10 year anniversary of Amazon Prime.

We signed under for the 3 month trial as soon as they started the program in 2005 (they invited existing customers). It looked like it made sense for us because we were getting ready to go full time RVing, and the 2 day shipping was going to be helpful. And it was! We got used to that fast!

January 3, 1997 is the first order I can find. It was four books in the Sloan Technology Series, including Turbulent Skies: The History of Commercial Aviation. I remember getting a gift from Amazon sometime in the late 90's -- a pretty nice go cup. The only gift I ever got from them.

Coach

May 16, 1996 -- We purchased a book for one of our sons who were studying music while in high school.
Harmony Through Counterpoint : A Programmed Introduction to the Theory of Tonal Music

Back
Top Bottom