What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

There are many ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes. :)

I don't keep a key hidden outside any more because of my own alternate solution, a keypad entry. I purchased it from Amazon a year ago and love it.

The battery hardly seems to run down at all, and I replace it anyway every January. Also, Frank and I have each other's keys in case we need a backup. I haven't needed his help yet, luckily.

Well, the fake rock has been around for as long as I can remember. I'm 65. Since most burglars are younger people, maybe they don't know about the old-school stuff.
OK, I will just put up a sign that only young burglars are allowed. ;)

Thanks to W2R for an alternative. Might consider if I get antsy.

I bought this, it took over a month to get here. Played with it for a day, took it outside, so I would have more room. Flew it totaly out of control, over the house, almost out of site, it dropped like a rock, and that was the last time I saw it. This thing was really tiny. Smaller than the palm of your hand.

51Hl-w9bxpL._SL1000_.jpg

I have one of these on order do tomorrow

41DwCQ62g1L.jpg

Hopefully it will last more than two days. I think I will take it to the golf course this time.

Last edited:
That's been around for 30+ years. All the burglars know about it. Besides, LBYM and put the key in a zip-lock and hide that under a real rock.

I'm hoping that you are kidding.

I use a hidden key all the time when I go out for runs. Not just for an occasional emergency. I'm planning on putting this little fake rock next to real ones.

I agree with Walt. Oldest trick in the book. Right up there with under the door mat.

I like the one I saw recently in a Family Handyman e-letter. I'm going to do it myself. I don't know how to point the link directly to it, but if you go here and flip through to the 10th page there's an easy hiding place you can set up with your other utility lines. I think it would be pretty secure, especially since that stuff is usually in a side or back yard. As far for going out for runs, why not just in a pocket or wristband or something. I would think going to the same spot every day to get a key would be a big giveaway.

I like the home made book box hiding place on the first panel too. I have a weakness for secret compartments. In a previous house I did one like the air return hiding place, except with a pull down shelf on a spring. It was great!

The fake utility line (item 12 on the link) looks like a good idea that I could pretty easily put in. Thanks!

Nimbus Toothbrushes

These toothbrushes are awesome. Old school (manual brushing), but they are super soft and really clean well. The ratings on Amazon reflect their quality. Five for $16.49 including shipping.

Attachments

• nimbus.jpg
    nimbus.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 253
These toothbrushes are awesome. Old school (manual brushing), but they are super soft and really clean well. The ratings on Amazon reflect their quality. Five for $16.49 including shipping.

But do they fly?

Potter-and-Nimbus-Brooms.jpg

81XgRwF3qaL._SL1500_.jpg

This is an indoor smoker.

This had 97 - 5 star reviews, 30 - 4 star reviews, and only 6 - 1 and 2 star reviews, so I took a shot. It is amazing! Got it today, and cooked baby back ribs. Used a rub on it with no sauce. They were smokey, tender, and down right good. The house had a smoke odor, but it was a good odor, like good food cooking.

I use pellets to smoke outside, and block in my bigger smoker. I took some of my pellet mixture and ground them up in a kitchen grinder. They worked great. The 'wood chips' you use are more like saw dust or chain saw clippings.

If this thing had not worked out I think DW would have closed my Amazon account. It has been rather busy lately. :)

Last edited:
Ordered a yellow ThermoPop instant read thermometer for grilling, a case of Gosling's Ginger Beer and a downhill ski edge sharpener so I can touch up the edges of our skis before putting them away for the season.

I got several Kindle books to educate myself about physical and psychological issues I've been having directly associated with menopause. I scored 7 out of 10 on the menopause symptom checklist. :nonono:

I am already on a low dose of Rx medication to help moderate hormonally induced mood swings. It is working well, but my energy level and mental acuity is down due to interrupted sleep from intense night sweats. :( Argh.

One that caught my eye is "Why Isn't My Brain Working ?" by Datis Kharrazian. I am already up to Chapter 12. Fascinating reading about how the human body systems operate and system interdependencies.

He is a huge proponent of simple and easy to do diet changes to help the body do what it is supposed to do. He also gets a bit carried away with the herbal supplement thing, which I will bypass.

A lot of the discussion about cognitive function degradation does not apply to me at this stage of my life. However, I am gaining knowledge about decline that can be prevented to a certain extent by proactive measures.

I feel educated and gratified that "No, I am not losing my mind" than before I read this book.

Knowledge is indeed powerful. :D

I feel educated and gratified that "No, I am not losing my mind" than before I read this book.

Knowledge is indeed powerful. :D

After enduring the winter you just went through, I think that ANYBODY would feel like they were losing their mind! I know you are used to the winters up there, but still, give yourself a pat on the back for sailing through it so smoothly once again.

After enduring the winter you just went through, I think that ANYBODY would feel like they were losing their mind! I know you are used to the winters up there, but still, give yourself a pat on the back for sailing through it so smoothly once again.
Thanks ! I actually enjoy the winter now that I don't have to drive in it. Building fires, cozying up with a book or watching a good movie with a blanket tucked around me is very self nurturing.

It's a form of mild hibernation that suits me better these days. I get lots of indoor projects done that would never happen in fair weather.

My symptoms are classic for menopause. The physiological stuff is very understandable and somewhat easy to overcome, but the persistent negative moodiness got my attention. Ebbs and flows are to be expected.
I was ebbing a bit too much.

The book explained a lot of what hormonal changes can do to mood, then add chronic interrupted sleep and you have a irritable Freebird :mad: on your hands.

I'm an optimist by nature. I'll spring back more easily now that I understand why I was feeling so b*tchy lately. :LOL:

Reactions: W2R
All the wet weather lately reminded me that I've always wanted Teva sandals. So, these are on their way to me from Amazon.

I just ordered a new wallet with a zipper and coin pocket.

Attachments

• wallet.jpg
    wallet.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I ordered some Purina dog probiotics. My glamorous life 😯

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The last thing I ordered from Amazon didn't make it here.

It was odd, I tracked it moving from AZ to OK to Chicago in a few days. Then it sat in Chicago for Monday through Friday. Then Amazon and FedEx Smartpost said it should arrive on Saturday. I normally see an update that it moved to the local PO, but nothing noted. It didn't make it on Sat.

Then, on Monday I get a refund notice from Amazon. They had a generic list of why something wouldn't get delivered, including can't deliver to that address (the same one I've used a zillion times). But I'm guessing it was damaged or lost in shipment.

So I reordered it all. Amazon couldn't provide any more details. No rush on any of it, so no big deal. I guess I'm disappointed that it was updated on Friday to 'out for delivery' and 'expect Saturday by 8PM', when it wasn't. Seems they would have known by then.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom