What is the main problem with US Health Care?

What is your personal situation that you feel needs to be solved?

Four months into Cobra. Turned down by UNH and Assurant for individual plan due to DW having had stage 1 Thyroid Lymphoma 6 years ago, even though in complete remission. Fairly rare form of lymphoma but easily treatable with very high survival rate. Moving to NC this summer. BCBS in NC required to accept everyone under hippa but high rates very possible (NC agent tells us 5 yr's "clean" should bring the rate down a bit. We'll see)

[DW was on the US national kayaking team in 70's and has always been a poster child for staying fit and eating healthy. Probably less actual risk than most people her age. With the "L" word on her record nothing else matters]

Do you have also have social agenda that is broader than your personal situation?

Not really other than to follow the news and support change, especially for self employed and small biz types. When I had a small biz I grappled with family rates going from 550 to 1200 per month. Advanced degree type employees so we just paid the increases. Can't imagine how small operations with lower paid staff can even contemplate health insurance now.

Briefly state what you think the basic problem is and the solution to the problem.

I think others here have a better grasp of endless details. Willing to try any alternative to the status quo

Last edited:
1. My personal situation:
DH and I would have not been able to ER/have insurance since he was rejected by UH and BCBS due to several pre-existing conditions (cancer 14 years ago---clean ever since; somewhat high cholesterol and an episode of atrial fibrillation completely controlled by meds; took mild doses of antidepressants when working; has a genetic condition called neurofibromatosis which can have a lot of complications but which is only cosmetic with bumps on his skin in his case). Fortunately, his employer's policy had a conversion option. We are paying $900 a month for him (about a $2500 deductible) at age 54.
Just like TargaDave's wife, he follows a very healthy lifestyle but that was never considered in his rejection!
I have virtually no health concerns and opted for a $10K policy at about $150 a month.

2. Broader social agenda:
That Michael Moore's Sicko would contain no truths whatsoever!
Universal coverage and affordability.
That the US not continue to spiral downward in terms of quality of life and health.

3. Problem and solution:
Profiteering (yes, I realize and respect this being a capitalist society) but thre are too many people wanting to make an excessively huge profit. This includes hospitals, health care provides, pharmaceutical companies, lobbyists, malpractice attorneys, patients who sue for any negative outcome beyond a doctor's control, people not taking responsibility for themselves....

Back
Top Bottom