What is Wrong with these People??

I would say that that is exactly the demographic in these apartments. I guess I am an old fogey at 45......

The apartments I am referring to are in the USA, I think perhaps I didn't make that clear.

One of the things that makes these apartment residences appealing to that demographic is the vibe or feel of the place. Young, hip, exciting, stylish, etc. It isn't a complete accident that your interactions with these places are more familiar than a typical business transaction. They are creating a story that many 20- or 30-something professionals and students are interested in.

The entire modern marketplace is geared towards this demographic. Just watch the TV commercials. And they all speak, write, and think the same way.

I'm squarely in the middle of that 20- and 30-something demographic, but apparently think and act more like a 40-something. :D

OP here. I am glad to be back home for a while. I was dragged to Wally World over night and truth be told in a bad mood when I made the post this morning, sorry <head hanging down>

Anyway after my long night of Black Friday shopping I walked in to another email from one of the apartments Here is the EXACT copy and paste of the email I received, and it was in PINK no less

[FONT=&quot]Hey u were approved with a 100 deposit, you like us to go ahead and charge ur card the 100.00 plus the application fee? For move in around Christmas! we r flexible with your move in date also , when you tell me you move in date I can tell you how much you need for the month of December [/FONT]Hope 2 C U soon!

This is the entire email. No greeting me by name, no signature to tell me who it was that sent it. They all use a general apartment email address, and seeing as how there are 3 of them in the office it could have been any one of them, surely it is not to much to ask for them to sign their name as I would like to know which one I am talking to, right?

* just to clarify, all 3 in the office speak English as their native tongue *

This is not some section 8 apartment complex but probably one of the nicest ones in the city.

The comparison to Latin America was because I used to say that it annoyed me how everyone got dressed up to go to the grocery store and that business was so formal. Now that I am used to it, I suppose the casualness of the USA is bothering me... :facepalm:
If this bothers you , why don't you just move back wherever you were?

For myself, considering all the many difficulties we can run into, I believe I could handle this one, say better than riots, intestinal parasites, malaria, or whatever.

Ha

After you move in and put your rent on autopay, are you planning to have a relationship with any of these people?

You're kidding, right? Once you move IN, the real relationship begins with landlords. Of course, YMMV.

When your 'schooling' is comprised of courses in "The psychology of LGBT Underwater Basket Weaving and its Environmental Effects on the Oppressed" it really doesn't prepare you for the world's actualities. :LOL:

Uh, ... for "is comprised of" don't you mean either "is composed of" or "comprises"? Just sayin'

O tempora, O mores.

Uh, ... for "is comprised of" don't you mean either "is composed of" or "comprises"? Just sayin'

O tempora, O mores.
A Mea Culpa combined with "Oh wow, at last I'm part of the new generation"....:LOL:

Is the phrase 'is comprised of' acceptable

Is the phrase 'is comprised of' acceptable?

It is becoming acceptable.

That phrase is still considered incorrect by some grammarians and usage experts. It is, however, becoming more and more common and will, eventually, become standard, because usage always triumphs over pedantry.

The word comprise is synonymous with is composed of, because the whole comprises its parts. In the context of formal, prescriptive grammar, you would not say the whole is comprised of its parts, nor should you say the parts comprise the whole.

I've seen some horrible language corruptions even on this site (I'm including myself) but I think the OP's main issue is the general lax attitude in dealing with the public.

It isn't limited to apartments or furniture stores. My experience with the younger crowd ranges from 'wow! there's hope for this country' to 'what a lazy, self entitled...'.

We're just starting to see the result of what happens when you live in a country where everybody gets a trophy...you end up with high expectations for just showing up.

People have been dissing the younger generation for all time. I find some of these examples funny but I also frequently deal with young adults who blow me away with their knowledge and sophistication. Is C U soon any more humorous than a clueless old fart from our generation screaming about keeping your gubbmint hands off my Medicare?

I've seen some horrible language corruptions even on this site (I'm including myself) but I think the OP's main issue is the general lax attitude in dealing with the public.

It isn't limited to apartments or furniture stores. My experience with the younger crowd ranges from 'wow! there's hope for this country' to 'what a lazy, self entitled...'.

We're just starting to see the result of what happens when you live in a country where everybody gets a trophy...you end up with high expectations for just showing up.

And get those kids off my lawn!

PS: Everyone talks about those trophies but my kids didn't get them. Now that's sad when you can't even get the trophy for just participating!

If this bothers you , why don't you just move back wherever you were?

For myself, considering all the many difficulties we can run into, I believe I could handle this one, say better than riots, intestinal parasites, malaria, or whatever.

Ha

:D I swear you sound like us Southerners talking about those Dam Yankees who have invaded us.

I am from the USA and for the most part I love it here. But, I have become very spoiled living the good life even further south and will head back to my new home as soon as I can. The quality of life for me is so much better and while we have our own problems down there, riots or malaria are not really on the radar. A more common worry among my friends is what to wear to the ballet or the opera after having a wonderful dinner at a world class restaurant (all at half the price of what an identical evening would cost back in the USA).

I probably shouldn't have posted the thread in the first place. I was out all night shopping with my sister (never again) and was sitting here reading the site trying to make myself sleepy when the email came through... I was frustrated that once again I had received an email without the person identifying themselves and my tolerance was low after my frustrating night.

Bottom line for me: Young people, or adults for that matter, talking friends is fine but I think that when in a business environment they should at a minimum spell out words and identify themselves.

The entire modern marketplace is geared towards this demographic.

Not quite. Practically every retailer I walk into, from Home Depot to the neighborhood supermarket, is playing background music that my (early boomer) generation grew up with. I enjoy it, but I don't understand it unless we are still a big slice of their target demographic.

I see this statement a lot...

Rarely does any kid beyond the early grades get anything for just participating. Probably should tell those tykes that they suck, now go home and no more dodge ball for you. In fact, probably should spank them for sucking.

Then, we can coddle the best athletes, spend thousands if not millions on the high school sports complex, while ignoring the science lab...

As for the original topic, there should be some minimal level of professionalism when you're the public face of a business.

I probably shouldn't have posted the thread in the first place. I was out all night shopping with my sister (never again) and was sitting here reading the site trying to make myself sleepy when the email came through... I was frustrated that once again I had received an email without the person identifying themselves and my tolerance was low after my frustrating night.

I'm curious about your frustration with this particular point (no signature on an email). Are you unable to clearly identify the sender of the email from their email address? Is it like arg145@apartmentcomplex.com or something and you don't know their name? Or custserv@apartmentcomplex.com?

I ask because I don't usually sign my emails since my name (to some extent) is usually in my email address. And if you get into a long reply chain, having 1 line messages with 8 lines of signature makes for messy correspondence IMHO.

Not quite. Practically every retailer I walk into, from Home Depot to the neighborhood supermarket, is playing background music that my (early boomer) generation grew up with. I enjoy it, but I don't understand it unless we are still a big slice of their target demographic.
That's funny, I've noticed it too. The music that was controversial/rebellious when it first came out (and we were all younger) is now mainstream, even elevator muzak. I laugh when I see 20-somethings wearing The Beatles and Led Zeppelin t-shirts too, what's up with that?

Get your own music ya punks, and get off my lawn too...

:D I swear you sound like us Southerners talking about those Dam Yankees who have invaded us.

I am from the USA and for the most part I love it here. But, I have become very spoiled living the good life even further south and will head back to my new home as soon as I can. The quality of life for me is so much better and while we have our own problems down there, riots or malaria are not really on the radar. A more common worry among my friends is what to wear to the ballet or the opera after having a wonderful dinner at a world class restaurant (all at half the price of what an identical evening would cost back in the USA).

Bottom line for me: Young people, or adults for that matter, talking friends is fine but I think that when in a business environment they should at a minimum spell out words and identify themselves.
Well it sounds like you really do have a great place to live. Congratulations.

Consider pm'ing me so I can visit there sometime?

Ha

Here is the EXACT copy and paste of the email I received, and it was in PINK no less

[FONT=&quot]Hey u were approved with a 100 deposit, you like us to go ahead and charge ur card the 100.00 plus the application fee? For move in around Christmas! we r flexible with your move in date also , when you tell me you move in date I can tell you how much you need for the month of December [/FONT]Hope 2 C U soon!

This is the entire email. No greeting me by name, no signature to tell me who it was that sent it. They all use a general apartment email address, and seeing as how there are 3 of them in the office it could have been any one of them, surely it is not to much to ask for them to sign their name as I would like to know which one I am talking to, right?

* just to clarify, all 3 in the office speak English as their native tongue *

This is not some section 8 apartment complex but probably one of the nicest ones in the city.

I completely agree with the OP, this is NOT how one should conduct business. If you are texting your friends then this sloppy communication is OK but in a business context this is not acceptable. I understand this is how 20 somethings behave but it does not make it right when a professional response is required.

After you move in and put your rent on autopay, are you planning to have a relationship with any of these people?

That's not the point. How would you feel if you went to look at someone's car for sale and when talking to you they were picking their nose? My point is inappropriate is just that.

Nonsense! Please back this up accusation with some facts.

I don't have to back anything up. If you don't understand then no explanation will suffice.

I am surprised by the number of people here that think this slob behavior is just fine. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom