Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[quote=I have a library card too, but it hasn't put a dent in my addiction! [/quote]

Me Too ,Sometimes I just want to read something the minute it comes out .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cars, especially old British ones like my avatar.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #23

Motorcycles. I have 3 and would have more but I'm running out of space and I don't like paying property tax.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

BOOKS....even living in a motorhome hasn't helped this addiction. I've overflowed the bookcases we built in, and I don't even want to think of how much they all weigh.....

Worst are the trips to Bookman's Used bookstores in Flagstaff, Phoenix and Tucson, which result in bags and bags of books "waiting" to be read, but, of course, before they are all read and passed on, more trips have occurred, and more books accumulated.

I bet I could go out in the desert and sit and read all day for several years and not get through the "waiting to be read" category. If I could keep from spending time reading these boards and several others, I might get through them faster than my present rate of about 125 books per year..... ;-)

I am reaching the point where I bring back a book from the store, and discover that I already have a copy, unread. That has happened SEVERAL times.

Oh, the joys of having a patient and kind husband......(who is also a reader, but not nearly so obsessed as me).

LooseChickens
Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Motorcycles for me too. Five in the garage one in the barn and allways looking for another bargain.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #26

Wow! Books seem to be a major addiction! I'm in that category. When I get too many, I donate them to the library. Then I swear I'm going to cut back. But it starts creeping back. Although I'm getting much better lately. Library doesn't cut it for me. I read somewhere that libraries are trying to organize their books similar to bookstores. I think that is a good idea.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #27

I have three!

Books (surprise) - This has been MOSTLY cured by ~ weekly visits to the library.

Outdoor/sports related magazines. At one time subscribed to Runner's World, Trail Runner, Bicycling, Triathlon, National Geographic Adventure, Outside and a now defunct adventure racing magazine.

Outdoor/sports related toys. Bikes, kayaks, skiis, etc. REI is my favorite store but the only time that I set foot in a Nordstroms is to find a bathroom!

MB
Old 07-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

1. Vintage shortwave radio equipment, especially telegraph keys.

2. Tools

3. Pints at the pub
Old 07-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #29

I have several:

Books
CD's (Meditation, New age, Native American)
Massages, manicures, and pedicures
Canvases and Oil paints
Diamonds
Old 07-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I wish I knew we could have three.

2. Stupid electronic crap (as my wife refers to it)
3. Vida Guerra
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Books. I give away a few boxes a couple times a year since I am a clutter-phobe, but I still have multiple bookshelves all throughout my home.

Clothes and shoes to a lesser extent, too. Fortunately I shop pretty cheaply - no designer addictions here!
Old 07-09-2007, 04:05 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Travel... Nice Vacations. The expense in a year is more than our mortgage.

Since we work... we have to squeeze travel into a few weeks a year. Sometimes we are able to economize in certain ways... but our vacations often involve airfare, reasonably nice hotel, etc... It is a treat (retreat) from work to decompress and enjoy.

when we ER, we have a fairly generous travel budget... But we intend to stretch of basic fixed costs of vacations by going to a location for extended travel. Plus we will economize on accommodations.

We are wanting to travel to Western Europe. I am hoping for a resurgence in the value of the $ compare to the Euro in the next few years. If the $ is still in the toilet... We will travel to other (lower cost) locations first.

The odd thing is I will wring my hands over the selection and purchase of something for $300 - $500... but drop several thousand on a vacation with much of a second thought.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

Books, hence my user name.

Shoes, purses
Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

My life-passions have seemed to run in phases. The really serious ones are the ones I come back to after dormant periods.

Shooting; sporadic, but life long and all consuming when in season. No local range any longer where I live, but more paraphanalia than I can possibly use.

Bikes, speed; got back into bikes after a 25 year layout. Ended up racing before I was done. Now RACING is an activity that can suck you dry. There's a question newbies ask: "How much does it cost to race?" The answer is "It costs whatever you have." Contributed my share, both in cash, crash and broken body parts (not the bike's body parts either). @ 50+, healing time becomes noticably longer than track time. Out of racing now but just dormant on riding.

Sailing - I read all the Patrick O'Brian novels about CPT Aubry and fell in love with sailing... I thought. Actually I found that I hate sailing. I just liked outfitting the boats (= money pits). Took me numerous $K's to realize this though. Glad that one's over and never again.

Re-enacting, 1730's - 50's coloinal Georgia. Clothing, guns, tools, camping gear, odds and ends. Dormant.

Each of these activities seem to offer entire garage capacities of "necessities" that must be bought. I just consider myself lucky that I've never had any of them double-up on me and I'm not currently in a "being consumed" state.

I'd like to think that I'm mature enough now that I'm no longer suceptible to these passions..... right.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #35

1) Travel
2) I bought a used convertible 4 years ago - it was the most impractical thing I ever did (and I couldn't even bring myself to buy a NEW one!). So, now I have two cars, and I refer to the convertible as my "toy", my "summer car" or my "weekend summer car".
Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

novels
motorhomes
scooters and motorcycles
shoes
oriental rugs
Riviera ware china
mohair upholstery

Got it under control, I think

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #37

velvet
Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
velvet
I really, REALLY don't want to know.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #39

Cars - luv 'em. And being a lbym-type creates a tremendous amount of mental gymnastics trying to balance the two.....
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #40

Depression era glass (carnival glass)
Dolls

I have a very small abode so it keeps me in check to a certain extent. Dh likes to collect motorcycles and old cars.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote