What is your one material weakness ?

I sell 'em on Amazon, too, when I'm finished reading them, or trade them at used bookstore for credit if they don't have good price on Amazon, but that doesn't help at all with the habit of finding more and more that I just HAVE to read when there are piles all over waiting to be read.......

Chinaco, We ARE going to Western Europe this fall for several months, and while we usually travel with one small carryon each, (severely limiting me in books), this time, we are renting a VW Westfalia van to travel in, so my sweetie has agreed to one small carryon each, plus ONE suitcase of extra stuff that can be checked.

NOW I'm trying to figure out how we can do without all extras except for books, so I can have most of that suitcase for my stuff.....books......

And I'm not even COUNTING stuff like the RVing in Europe book, or the Lonely Planet Europe book......I make my sweetie put THEM in with HIS stuff, so I have more room for the good stuff.

Let's hear it for the unsung heroes....our sweeties.....mine is an unbelieveably patient guy.

LooseChickens

"Foreign Cleaning Ladies" was not an answer I expected in this thread on material weaknesses.

Cars, books, and I would add guns, buts rarely spend any (more) money on them.

Cars though... I have a truck that I keep pretty up to date, a one year old Corvette, and a very old hot rod... (no motorcycles now, but have had lots of them too) I am slowing down a bit though, and actually have considered getting down to just one vehicle until I FI/RE and then settle into a new locale and make sure my plan is stable.

The books thing surprises me a bit when I go through a spree on Amazon, but that one is not too bad an indulgence... keeping the mind sharp 'n all... just hat it when I realize I could easily go to library, and/or used book store to get them much cheaper for the older titles.

"Foreign Cleaning Ladies" was not an answer I expected in this thread on material weaknesses.

Coach said it first.
The last one left due to her third pregnancy! No one in my household claims responsibility. See your poll on this topic: I claim to be unclear on the concept.

novels
motorhomes
scooters and motorcycles
shoes
oriental rugs
Riviera ware china
mohair upholstery
Got it under control, I think

Shoes! I'm surprised. I didn't peg you for a shoes person. It has been an indicator of a high maintance woman in my experience.

Nah, my wifes one nutty thing is also shoes and she's very low maintenance.

I always tell her she oughta buy a couple of dozen black bras to go with them so I can call her Imelda.

Shoes! I'm surprised. I didn't peg you for a shoes person. It has been an indicator of a high maintance woman in my experience.

I re-read my post and I do sound high maintenance, don't I. :)

Imelda Martha

Those darn vices of mine

Not in any special order:

1. Corvettes
2. Wild Turkey (for sipping :D around Thanksgiving)
3. Fresh ground coffee
4. Any tool
5. La-Z-boy recliners
6. 50" Plasma TV's
7. Swimming Pool (in ground)
8. Mountain homes with a view
9. Horses
10. Dirt bikes

Hillbilly

About $3k every two years. Live to ride, ride to live :D

img_534369_0_1c271e52921760345e087c0417a9f4af.jpg

Almost forgot to ad Single Malt Scotch and cigars

(yeah, I'm a health nut)

1. Travel
2. Eating out (mostly due to lazy avoidance of cooking)
3. Jeans - can't walk by them in a store without trying on... but I'm a cheap s.o.b. so I won't spend more than $35

I think I "cured" my wife's book fetish with a library card, but we'll see!

Yarn

small cactus plants and 4 inch terracotta pots to replant them in

Interesting stuff for gardening - bags, cool tools, seeds, seed starter trays, gloves...etc

I'm a real LBYM type and can resist most anything but I love antique wristwatches. I try to stay away from Ebay because if I'm on the watch page I'm in trouble nothing excites me more ( except s--) than a vintage Bulova .So what's your weakness ??

We're not particularly LBYM types, but slowly converting out of need at a bit over year into my joining DW in FIRE. We tend to go thru periods of collecting. I definitely went thru a WristWatch (and some RR Pockets) mostly about a decade ago, I'm a Hamilton Fan with lots of Bulovas, Longines, Waltham, Elgin, Omega Seamasters, etc etc. Lately I've been into Vintage Pocket Lighters (OK so I Like FIRE, the burning kind too, wanna make something of it?) but of course my true love addiction has to be

GUITARS, now thirty plus looking for playing time with many more on my wish list. And then all the peripherals (Stomp Boxes, Tube Amps) it just never stops. :cool:

I'm a book collector, mostly of first editions from about 1940 to 1980 but I can't resist early American editions of Dickens' novels going back to the late 1860s.

Kayaks are NOT a weakness of mine, I'm down to three, so there;)

And eating out is not an issue, DW & I agree not to eat out more than three times a day, got that under control.

I got rid of three kayaks...down to just my inflatable now...which I still havent deployed in the river near the new house...hmmmm...

paperbackswap.com

Books-all bookshelves in the house are full
Purses-ditto on purse shelf in closet
Sunglasses-I have a large drawer devoted to them
Shoes-

None of these things are allowed to exceed their storage space so I have to constantly edit.

For you bookworms there is a website called

paperbackswap.com

that is a lifesaver. Books only cost you the time, trouble and postage to trade with other bookophiles.

2fer

1. packaged ice
Love it when the true flavor of the beverage comes through without the flavors of the local water.
2. pedicures (May-September)
Summer here is too short to not do this!
3. XM Satellite Radio
Didn't know I needed or wanted this; but once I tried it ...

I should also at this time point out that most of us have an innate problem with following directions! ;)

"What is your ONE material weakness"

Sorry CFB, I will also list more than one weakness:

Cars. I love roadsters. However, I never owned a car myself and I plan an OPM approach here. (Other people's money.)

Suits. Somehow I almost spend 1K (over 5% of my savings) on 5 tailor made suits from a good tailor that flew over from Asia. They were so increadibly classy. I managed to walk away. Will need an extra suit for my intership though.

2nd grade price differentiation. The suits above reminded me that I too often go for the bulk discounts. I would never buy 1 suit @ 400 euro, but was an instant away from ordering 5 @ 200 each. (Even when I only had 3 suit combinations in mind.)

Dating. When a man is in love...

On the other hand I sometimes think I am too obsessive with saving/investing/coming out ahead.

Back
Top Bottom