What Old People Mean When They Say Millennials

Oh boy, China. Or any former country in the Soviet block. Or in the Middle East. Or in Bangladesh, etc...

I have not visited China, not even Hong Kong, but cannot imagine a place where people had to march to Mao Zedong's drumbeat would have much cultural similarity to people in the free world.

A phrase that is often heard is that "people are the same everywhere". It's true and it's not. When you first talk to people, you see that they appear the same, having the same aspirations, desires for a better life, a sense of wanting fairness, honesty, etc... But stay for a while, and you will see the deeper cultural differences. Some differences are just a matter of style, but some can be quite significant.

For example, here in the US, bribery is more than frowned upon. It is regarded as highly illegal, and unethical. It is not a simple infraction like speeding or jaywalking. In many countries, that's just smart, and expedient to "get things done".

Last edited:
Regarding the definition of Boomers, Wikipedia has this to say:

Baby boomers are the demographic group born during the post–World War II baby boom, approximately between the years 1946 and 1964...​

When did that definition become the standard? To me, the "baby boom" was when the GI's got home from the war, and started producing offspring in record numbers. Sort of a pent-up demand, if you will.

Are they now telling us these guys were going at it for 18 years?

I never thought I was a baby boomer growing up. Nobody even suggested it. The big rush at the delivery room was over long before I was born in 1960.

But I admit that if I've got to be pigeon-holed somewhere, that's the group I'd have to pick.​

I never thought I was a baby boomer growing up. Nobody even suggested it. The big rush at the delivery room was over long before I was born in 1960...

Well, as the above definition shows, there are the early boomers and the late boomers. You and your cohorts are in the latter group. Perhaps you do not feel anything in common with the early boomers. I dunno.

I straddle the two groups. It does not mean anything as I spent my first 20 years outside of the US and did not have much in common with people growing up here. For example, while people of my age listened to the Beatles, the Bee Gees, etc..., I listened to Frank Sinatra, Connie Francis, Dalida, etc... growing up. And it was not as if I did not know about the Beatles and the Bee Gees. I was out-of-sync, and remained so.

Last edited:
I'm one of the oldest Millennials having been born in 1982. I remember everything he discussed in the video, but have also been texting and Skyping and FaceBooking for many years, even though I am somewhat a late adopter. I have no problems being labeled a Millennial. As some have said in the other thread, Millennials are hardworking and VERY resilient. We've grown up in a different world than most could have imagined. I was 19 when 9/11 happened. My entire adult life has been during a time of war, which is closer to home than for most since I'm also in the military. I don't understand why anybody would have a problem with a group of people who are technologically savvy, inquisitive, passionate, and trying to make their world a better place.

I don't understand why anybody would have a problem with a group of people who are technologically savvy, inquisitive, passionate, and trying to make their world a better place.

Supposedly they also all suffer from ADHD, social network addiction, avoid responsibilities, equate liking with real engagement, are unable to socialize face-to-face, have entitlement syndrom and special snowflakitis.

Just to name a few :LOL:

Supposedly they also all suffer from ADHD, social network addiction, avoid responsibilities, equate liking with real engagement, are unable to socialize face-to-face, have entitlement syndrom and special snowflakitis.

Just to name a few :LOL:

Well seeing as how that's just simply false, I don't let it get to me.

Regarding the definition of Boomers, Wikipedia has this to say:

Baby boomers are the demographic group born during the post–World War II baby boom, approximately between the years 1946 and 1964...

I am annoyed to be part of that group even if just by proxy. Born thousands of miles from the US, parents may have had vague knowlege of the US. They did expereince WW II. The house was partially blown away by tank projectile.

Wow! that is far worse than merely being part of it by error (my parents were in their 40's and didn't even think they could have a third child, but oops)

[/INDENT][/I] I am annoyed to be part of that group even if just by proxy. Born thousands of miles from the US, parents may have had vague knowlege of the US. They did expereince WW II. The house was partially blown away by tank projectile.

Born thousands of miles from the US, parents may have had vague knowledge of the US. They did experience WW II. The house was partially blown away by tank projectile.
My father had to dodge bombs with his parents in WW II, but it was not bombs or bullets that turned him into an orphan in his late teens. It was dysentery.

Back
Top Bottom