Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What to do in Montreal?
Old 03-29-2006, 02:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Agreed...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2006, 07:05 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for all the input -- both real and humerous. We are staying at the Hyatt near Chinatown. Got to the Museum of fine arts today and saw an excellent traveling exhibit from St. Petersburg on Catherine II. We got to a couple of other museums at McGill University. The weather was great so we walked everywhere. I am locating some of your restaurant suggestions and will head out for dinner soon. We are planning on old town and archaeology museums tomorrow -- plus more walking. Weather is supposed to turn to sh#t Saturday.

Although seal clubbing does not seem to be advertised anywhere, we did see a short film about porpoise hunting at one of the museums. Apparently this was a native practice but is not done anymore because no one really wants porpoise oil.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:13 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Thanks for all the input -- both real and humerous. We are staying at the Hyatt near Chinatown.
well my guess is it must be this one.

http://montreal.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/

If so you sure are in the heart of downtown. You are very lucky. We are having great weather. I recall some years when we were still stuck in winter. Late March in Montreal is unpredictable.

If you like chinese food then perhaps try the buffet on Lagauchetiere st. just west of boulevard St. Laurent and just east of st. urbain street. I figure it makes no difference where ones eats in chinatown, one can't go wrong.

Just south of the old town is the port. You will find an IMAX theatre with a massive screen. I do not know if it is open now or just in the warm weather.

There are also horse drawn carroses available in the port area in case you fancy that sort of thing.

I think earlier some one had mentioned tranvestites and some night life. Sorry I can't be of any use in that department. I would not know where to begin to look.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-1
well my guess is it must be this one.

http://montreal.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/

If so you sure are in the heart of downtown. You are very lucky. We are having great weather. I recall some years when we were still stuck in winter. Late March in Montreal is unpredictable.

If you like chinese food then perhaps try the buffet on Lagauchetiere st. just west of boulevard St. Laurent and just east of st. urbain street. I figure it makes no difference where ones eats in chinatown, one can't go wrong.

That's the place. If you look closely, I'm the one waving from the 6th floor window just to the right. We just got back from dinner at Chinatown.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I suggest you take a walk from your hotel going east along rene levesque boul. until St. Denis street at which point turn left and walk north going up St. Denis. Walk on and go past Sherbrooke st and walk for an hour or so to get in all the sites.

You should go as far as Mount Royal Ave to see it all.

St. Denis is the French (bohemian? student quarter with outdoor cafes and restos; It always reminds me of Paris where I lived for a while in the fifties. It has that European old world charm.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

IMAX, along with Green Peace,a nother Canadian contribution to the world, and did I mention the Blackberry and the Pace Maker?

Montreal has so much History..
Old 03-29-2006, 10:45 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
IMAX, along with Green Peace,a nother Canadian contribution to the world, and did I mention the Blackberry and the Pace Maker?

Montreal has so much History..
Good point you make here.

What about mentioning fred banting.

see link

http://www.discoveryofinsulin.com/Banting.htm
Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Shouldn't be that hard to spot the trannies... :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:01 AM   #29

Well . . . I got back to Arizona from Montreal this evening. Unfortunately, my luggage did not get back. Continental Airlines.

I was lucky with weather in Montreal. I walked all over the city, visited several museums, the sound and light show at Notre Dame, sampled a number of restaurants (thanks for your reccomendations) and today I hiked to the top of Mount Royal and back. It got a little bit chilly today for an Arizona desert dweller, but not bad. I definately reccomend the Fine Arts Museum and the Archaeology Museum. It did rain on Saturday, but the group that paid for my trip had me in meetings all day anyway, so I didn't suffer any.

I did notice a couple of people walking on the streets that looked like old internet trolls, but I avoided talking to them, so I don't know for sure.

Thanks again for the suggestions and help.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

You're lucky to not get your luggage. Last time I flew continental I think they threw my luggage out of the plane onto the tarmac, backed the plane over it a few times, then emptied the holding tanks onto it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I’m sure everyone has an airline luggage horror story, but my favorite is when I went to pick up a coworker at the airport. We were waiting at the luggage pick up area along with a horde of passengers, watching the bags appear on the belt, coming through the opening one by one. As one bag came through, there was an audible “Ooooooohhhh” from the crowd. “Who’s bag is THAT?”, someone asked. The guy I was picking up mumbled “Oh sh!t, it’s mine.”

Half his bag had been ripped open and the contnets were a shredded, slimy mess. It had evidently gotten stuck on some portion of the automated sysem, which tore open his bag, and ground most of the contents to something resembling a dirty wet mop. It looked like someone had dropped his bag into the wood chipper in the movie Fargo along with a one gallon container of laundry soap. His toiletries had been smashed, and toothpase, shampoo, and shaving cream covered all his belongings and oozed out onto the belt.

He slid the bag off the conveyor on to the floor, and reached in and pulled out what was left of one shoe (the back half was all that was recognizable). When he lifted it up, what appeared to be the top part of a pair of men’s jockey shorts fell from the front of the shoe, and hit the terminal floor with a loud “flop!”. It was clearly audible because all the other passengers gathered around the belt were watching in stunned silence....and keeping one eye out for their bag coming through the opening and thinking, “That couldn’t have happened to my bag too...could it?”

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

At least it was his underwear and not a giant vibrator.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote