Tips for Montreal - First time

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
  • Any "You got to see this?"
  • Where must I go in Little Italy?
  • Where must I go in ChinaTown?
  • Do I buy the Metro/STM pass before I get to Montreal?
  • My high school French is terrible. How is their Anglais?

Any other pointers would be appreciated. Will be going in late August.

It's been at least 20 years but I still remember Boreale beer as the best beer I have ever had. It was a heavy dark ale with restrained bittering hops. Looking now I see that they brew quite a number of beers. If I were going back I'd try to get that original but second choice would probably be a few flights at their microbrewery!

You will enjoy Montreal. I've been there at least a couple dozen times on business during my Megacorp years.

Must sees: Old Montreal, Top of Mt Royal, Rue St-Denis, Notre-Dame Basilica, Jean-Talon Market, Rue St-Paul, Crescent Street, Underground City Centre, Rue St-Catherine, smoked meat sandwich from Schwartz's Deli, lots of great breweries (Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel is a fav), Time Out Market, drinks from one of the roof-top bars (Les Enfants Terribles), Mile End area.

Little Italy: Other than restaurants, there's not a whole lot to see. Porchetta is a good place to eat.

Chinatown: Just walk around and enjoy the sites and shops. Lots of great restaurants. My favorites were Mai Xiang Yuan and Nouilles de Lan Zhou.

I always bought Metro pass at the stations. It can also be bought at the airport if you want. The 747 bus runs 24 hrs from airport to city centre for a cheap way to travel from airport.

Most everyone speaks English.

Enjoy Montreal. It will be pretty hot and humid in August.

The church architecture is amazing for a "New World" city. You'll likely be greeted in French everywhere you go, but they generally understand English..and can speak it. We rode the train in when we visited years ago. Mount Royal Park was designed by Olmstead, who also did Central Park in NYC. It's a huge park.

One can get by with English but some French pleasantries obviously doesn't hurt.

Was last in Montreal (and QC) in Dec 2021 to check out the Christmas Markets.
I loved Schwartz's for smoked meat but my old manager took me to his fav, Snowden Deli and I think I like it better.
Love the Jean Talon Market area. We also enjoyed visiting Atwater Market neighbourhood.
Really enjoyed the poutine at Ma Poule Mouillee which is a portugese chicken place.
We enjoy doing a bit of a walking circuit in Mile End hitting up little food shops.

Must sees: Old Montreal, Top of Mt Royal, Rue St-Denis, Notre-Dame Basilica, Jean-Talon Market, Rue St-Paul, Crescent Street, Underground City Centre, Rue St-Catherine, smoked meat sandwich from Schwartz's Deli, lots of great breweries (Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel is a fav), Time Out Market, drinks from one of the roof-top bars (Les Enfants Terribles), Mile End area.

Little Italy: Other than restaurants, there's not a whole lot to see. Porchetta is a good place to eat.

Chinatown: Just walk around and enjoy the sites and shops. Lots of great restaurants. My favorites were Mai Xiang Yuan and Nouilles de Lan Zhou.
+1

Attachments

• IMG_155FB.jpg
    IMG_155FB.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
If your HS French is anything like mine, the typical scenario walking into a store or restaurant will be:

Proprietor: “Bon jour.”
Me: “Bon jour.”
Proprietor (immediately picking up my horrible French accent): “Good day. May I help you?”

Try and zip down to Quebec City for a day or a day and a night. Easy connections on Via Rail.

Back
Top Bottom