Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some of the reasons we lowered our stock AA were more mental than financial. I read the book Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk by Peter Bernstein. In it there were several mentions to the law of diminishing marginal utility - how after a certain point, it hurts a lot more to lose half your money than it brings joy to double it.

So I know over the long run, the odds are we are probably not going to make as much money having less in stocks, but I feel like one of the things we are buying with our money is not having to have any financial stomach churning in the future, which is more important to me than most other items I could buy with more money.

If I was Warren Buffet and losing half my money meant getting down to my last $40B, I'd feel better taking more chances. But losing half my money at my age might mean mean having one or both of us going back to a full-time megacorp job, and I'd rather have less income and live more simply than risk having to go back to working and commuting from 7 am to 7 pm, with 2 weeks off for vacation.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wasn't a member of this forum during the 2008 downturn, but I've participated in other financial forums during other bear markets, and I expect that there will be a wide variation in responses to the next bear market. So much so that I may temporarily stop reading this forum during a major downturn. My impression is that there is a plurality of members here who are fairly committed to buy and hold, but that it probably isn't a majority. And of course a downturn, especially a big one, is an open invitation to market timers to espouse their favorite "beat the market" strategies.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karluk View Post
... My impression is that there is a plurality of members here who are fairly committed to buy and hold, but that it probably isn't a majority. And of course a downturn, especially a big one, is an open invitation to market timers to espouse their favorite "beat the market" strategies.
You are probably right that buy-hold predominates here, but at least other ideas are discussed too with usually sensible restraint. I find that refreshing and at least entertaining. Lumping all market timing discussion into the "bad bin" is not wise.

There is absolutely no way to prove that any method is superior going forward.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
There is absolutely no way to prove that any method is superior going forward.
You are right, but oddly enough that is precisely the reason I don't care to read about market timing schemes during times of doom and gloom, when it seems that buy and hold is a fool's game, and only a well thought out market timing scheme will allow anyone to make a profit. Market conditions during a downturn give such posts an air of wisdom they don't really have. After all, as you say, there's no way to prove whether the market timing scheme being advocated is really any better than buy and hold.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I think there was a lot of "the sky is falling" sentiments getting tossed around. I remained very bullish the entire time and had lots of fun*. I even switched to a more aggressive portfolio allocation in November 2008 (missing the absolute bottom by a few months).

My comments from 2008 from the thread W2R linked:
Quote:
Just moved 15% of my portfolio from a large cap growth fund (down ~45% YTD) to a mix of US and international REITS and int'l small cap (all of which are down close to 60% YTD). So I guess I'm willing to take on more risk. Or rather I have moved my permanent asset allocation to what I want it at long term.
I'm still sticking with that new "permanent" asset allocation and don't plan on changing it any time soon (other than maybe decreasing my near 100% equities allocation to include more bonds/cash).

I think there were plenty of other people embracing the crash. I recall commenting something to the effect that "this is the buying opportunity of a lifetime for investors my age" (28 at the time).

*fun, but in the middle of a scary environment. Our company laid off half the employees, then half of what was left departed for better opportunities. We had a pay freeze, then pay cut. I decided to take the bar exam and get my law license "just in case". Everything worked out okay in the end, and I wasn't really worried since I had many many years of expenses in the bank even back in 2008 and 2009.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Meh. M... E... H...

What happens if the unthinkable happens?

I took the opportunity to clean up and simplify the portfolio at minimal cost, which also accomplished substantial tax loss harvesting, and rebalanced back to my long term personal investment plan's target. The losses booked will offset any capital gains that are realized for several more years.

Markets fluctuate. That's why I made a long term investment plan.