Join Early Retirement Today

What would you do? - broken dishwasher
Old 10-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What would you do? - broken dishwasher

The Maytag dishwasher in our home was installed in 2008 and has stopped responding to the control touchpad. The owner's manual was no help.

Service calls in our area run $130-$140 for the call itself.

Mr. A. wants to skip the repair step and replace the dishwasher. A new one, installed, would run about $750.00.

We got an offer from Maytag for a repair/replace agreement for 2 years for $274.95. Meaning, if they can't fix the dishwasher, they'll replace it.

Meanwhile, we are seriously thinking about putting our house on the market next Spring. But it would probably take a year to sell.

What would you do in our situation? Repair? Replace? Buy the insurance and then call in the repair person?

Thanks,

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a Maytag that I just removed from one of my rentals. The same thing happened. It is a 2009 or 20010 model, maybe even newer. A new circuit board would be $120, plus install.

I bought a new Maytag from HD, a special buy sale, for $298. With a steam clean option. Probably a $500 unit normal price.

Dishwashers are a disposable item. Buy a new one. Install it yourself in ~30 minutes, save at least $200.

Quote:
But it would probably take a year to sell
There has never been a problem selling homes, it's pricing them right that is the issue.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Consumer Reports advises replacing rather than repairing a dishwasher over 5 years old.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with Senator; I just replaced mine, I figured it would be a waste of time and $$ to get it repaired and then have it break again. Just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #5

I'd buy something other than Maytag...they've gone downhill over time.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

No offense, but "oh, just install it yourself, I do it all the time" doesn't work for us. We couldn't even lift the durn thing. Let alone dispose of the old one. Our situation is probably different from some.

I carefully researched the cost of replacement. If it were possible to do it cheaper, and get the same quality/color, I would do it.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have a Maytag that I just removed from one of my rentals. The same thing happened. It is a 2009 or 20010 model, maybe even newer. A new circuit board would be $120, plus install.

I bought a new Maytag from HD, a special buy sale, for $298. With a steam clean option. Probably a $500 unit normal price.

Dishwashers are a disposable item. Buy a new one. Install it yourself in ~30 minutes, save at least $200.

There has never been a problem selling homes, it's pricing them right that is the issue.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for that truism. Our house appeals greatly to the "right" people and not very much to the general herd. So it is a matter of patiently waiting for the "right" person, who can also afford the house, versus giving away the house to get rid of it in a hurry.

Real estate agents just sigh when it comes to pulling "comparables" for our house. It is a very mixed area.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Old 10-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I agree...our previous Maytag dishwasher lasted 18 years. But I wonder what appliance HASN'T gone downhill. We just replaced our microwave after 5 years, when the previous one lived to be 25!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I'd buy something other than Maytag...they've gone downhill over time.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can buy a nice dishwasher for less than $750......installed. I'd check Home Depot, they sell many brands and many times have exclusive models that cost less than comparable models at other retailers. We bought GE appliances that had the same features BUT wasn't called the same model and saved over 20% on replacing all the appliances in our new kitchen. Recently we had to replace a microwave......a new one, installed, cost less than the repair on the old one.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
No offense, but "oh, just install it yourself, I do it all the time" doesn't work for us. We couldn't even lift the durn thing. Let alone dispose of the old one. Our situation is probably different from some..
If you have a local plumber or handyman that you use for home maintenance issues that are beyond your expertise, they should be able to install it and take the old one away. It really is a very simple install - I removed and reinstalled DD's when we did some renovations on her condo - just a water, electrical and drain connection.

Since you are going to sell, I would replace rather than repair if you can find one that matches up with your other appliances that will be staying.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

They really are easy to install, and surprisingly light. If you were staying int he house and wanted to do the install yourself, I'd recommend replacing it.

Still, if you really don't want to mess with it, in that situation I would probably take Maytag up on their insurance offer. It's less money than a new dishwasher, and you'll be guaranteed of having a working unit if you sell within the next two years.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No offense, but "oh, just install it yourself, I do it all the time" doesn't work for us. We couldn't even lift the durn thing. Let alone dispose of the old one. Our situation is probably different from some.

I carefully researched the cost of replacement. If it were possible to do it cheaper, and get the same quality/color, I would do it.

Amethyst

Give me your address, I'll come install it for you free of charge.

Mike
Old 10-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The insurance deal doesn't appeal to me, but I can see how it might to others.

I am no genius, but before replacing it, I'd look for info online and try to fix it myself.

May sound crazy, but think about it - if the alternative is replacement, it doesn't matter if you damage the old dishwasher and worst case you might learn something.

Exactly what I did with my clothes washer almost two years ago I fixed my washing machine, ta-dah!!!. Found a youtube video, took it apart and found it was a coupling that had failed - cost $23, and could have had the part for less than $10 if I'd been willing to order online!!! No special tools need and needless to say I was thrilled, and she's still purring along after almost two years. The appliance parts guy I bought the part from said 'if I just don't overload the old washer, it could last for a long, long time - unlike a new one from any brand.' Having lifted the motor and gearbox out of it, I can attest to how beefy it is.

If you can't find a video or website you're comfortable with, at least you tried.

Don't know if you are Mr. A are up for it, but you have nothing to lose IMO.

Best of luck...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We replaced our dishwasher with a Bosch maybe 5 years ago. It still looks like new and runs very quietly.

Just replaced our 17 year old double oven yesterday when the repair versus buy decision was $700 versus $3000 (+ added convection feature).

It's a tough decision if you are not sure about staying in the house. If there is a chance you will stay, buy a quality dishwasher.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
What would you do in our situation? Repair? Replace? Buy the insurance and then call in the repair person?
What would I do? I'd just replace it with something you like. It's one of those irregular big expenses which we all expect to come along now and then. I'd have the replacement delivered and installed, and the old one carted off. Problem Solved.

A brand new dishwasher might be a selling point if you put it on the market. I have heard a lot of good things about the Bosch that Lsbcal mentioned.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Is anyone else outraged that appliances only last 5 years (or less) these days?

I've heard so many stories about the electronics going out (not the mechanics) and it costing hundreds just to install a new board.

Where are all these "replaced" appliances going? Does somebody at least salvage the metal and other materials?

Are consumers just willing to put up with this state of affairs? And don't even get me started on poor quality fabric in clothes. I guess most people don't mind using things for a short period of time and then throwing them away. sigh.

I recently had to buy a washer and dryer for a duplex rental I was moving to. Oh how I wish I still had my 1981 Maytag washer, which for 30 years only needed a new belt.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #17

If my dish washer broke I would start looking for a new DW. No just kidding!

Would order new one from Costco and install myself (or you can pay someone to install should be cheap).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Mr. Pack - you and I often think alike. I did, in fact, go right to You-tube and try various suggestions in videos. Alas, none of them worked. (Because we hadn't decided whether to call in a repairman, we didn't want to really get in there, take stuff apart and maybe ruin something).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The insurance deal doesn't appeal to me, but I can see how it might to others.

I am no genius, but before replacing it, I'd look for info online and try to fix it myself.

May sound crazy, but think about it - if the alternative is replacement, it doesn't matter if you damage the old dishwasher and worst case you might learn something.

Exactly what I did with my clothes washer almost two years ago I fixed my washing machine, ta-dah!!!. Found a youtube video, took it apart and found it was a coupling that had failed - cost $23, and could have had the part for less than $10 if I'd been willing to order online!!! No special tools need and needless to say I was thrilled, and she's still purring along after almost two years. The appliance parts guy I bought the part from said 'if I just don't overload the old washer, it could last for a long, long time - unlike a new one from any brand.' Having lifted the motor and gearbox out of it, I can attest to how beefy it is.

If you can't find a video or website you're comfortable with, at least you tried.

Don't know if you are Mr. A are up for it, but you have nothing to lose IMO.

Best of luck...
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Haw, haw! We have two dishwashers in the house, but one keeps forgetting to drain the dishes before drying them, so all the dishtowels are always wet!

No service provided by a human is cheap in our neck of the woods.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
If my dish washer broke I would start looking for a new DW. No just kidding!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... A new one, installed, would run about $750.00 ...
As you do not do your own install, just pay that money and have it done.

Just earlier this week, I paid 2x that to have the freaking pool pump replaced. It hurt like crazy, but if algae starts turning the pool into a pond, it hurts even more.

Tags
appliance, dishwasher, repair, repair agreement