What you guys doing on the 4th?

Babysitting a friends 2 dogs (80 lb lab, 55 lb border collie), another
friends dog (12 lb shih tzu) along with my 3 regular dogs (120 lb
leonberger, 75 lb dutch partridge hound, 45 lb border collie) and
my new addition as of 2 weeks ago, a 6 month old rescued border
collie puppy with some aggression problems. Fortunately the herd
thins out Sunday.

Last night some friends of ours from out of town came to visit with their 3 children...ages 2, 4 and 12. Today they are going to Six Flags. :dead:

As for me, it's 92 in the shade already. I'm going to veg in the house.

Went to a party last night thrown by our friend's boss. It was really fun - live band, open bar, catered BBQ, fireworks. Today is family day - going to lunch with mom, brother, brother's SO and DH. Happy 4th everyone!

Going to see Wall-E. Then come home and soothe my little doggy best I can. She is scared to death of all the loud booms. The people in this town really like breaking the fireworks laws.:bat: I don't like the 4th of July.

Enjoy the long weekend, all, and thanks for the interesting stories, some of you are making the rounds in my old stomping grounds. I started yesterday by leaving w*rk early, decided to get the over-due haircut. Walked along the way taking pix of 4th of July storefronts (new digital hobby): two little bears painted red white and blue, a day care center covered in flags and my favorite, the pet shop: someone there draws a new cartoon every few days on a white board, for the weekend they are advertising a homeopathic remedy for calming down your cat or dog along with a blurb about how to be nice to your pet during the fireworks. The young lady who cuts my hair has given up day trading, bad sign?

Was able to sleep in only 90 minutes extra this morning, old habits die hard, may make up for it later with a nap. SO is a professional retiree so I'll have the day to myself until 6:00 p.m. I observed an old family tradition by wondering if the corn is "knee high by the Fourth of July"--how is it in your area, did they do a second planting?

Plan to take a walk down to the art school, their main gallery will be closed but can look at exhibits that are always open, because they pride themselves on keeping the Diego Rivera mural accessible I'll be able to see the new exhibit in that gallery.

SO and I plan to go "hear" the fireworks as it's fog season here and may take in a movie sometime over the weekend.

I am in TN with my mother for our birthdays. DW is back home hosting her kids and grandkids for a few days of sun and swimming in the pool. After almost 10 days with mom and staying in a spare room at the assisted living center, I am more than ready to get home.

Every time I stay here I become more convinced of how depressed I would be living in a place like this. I only hope I still have enough viable brain cells left to remember to kill myself before I am stuck in one of these places.

As for the 4th....they are having a "BBQ" here (all done in the kitchen of course) for the [-]inmates [/-]residents.....I will pass on eating yet another "vanilla" meal with the rest of the folks [-]incarcerated[/-] living here. A hearty game of BINGO is the highpoint of the day. Yawn.......

I observed an old family tradition by wondering if the corn is "knee high by the Fourth of July"--how is it in your area, did they do a second planting?

I had to make a couple of runs out of town yesterday, and decided to stay off of the highways and only take the blacktops.....NO traffic at all! Most of the corn is anywhere from 3' to 4' tall.....some slightly more than that. Around here, if it's "knee high by the Fourth of July", it's really stunted and it probably won't be a very good crop year. ;)

The soybeans are so-so. Some look really good....some look pretty bad.

We've had very little rain in the last month, and could really use a good soaker of an inch or a bit more. But the lack of rain should make for a good day for everyone's 4th picnics!

Happy 4th!
smilie_flagge13.gif

...That is a beautiful PIC that Midpack posted. We went kayaking today. We launched on the south end of Tybee Island (GA) and paddled about half way down Little Tybee Island (actually larger than Tybee). We had over a mile of beach all to ourselves. On Tybee it looked like several thousand people per mile on the beach. The weather was nice but a little warm paddling against the tide coming back with no wind.
Jeff

I am in TN with my mother for our birthdays. DW is back home hosting her kids and grandkids for a few days of sun and swimming in the pool. After almost 10 days with mom and staying in a spare room at the assisted living center, I am more than ready to get home.

Every time I stay here I become more convinced of how depressed I would be living in a place like this. I only hope I still have enough viable brain cells left to remember to kill myself before I am stuck in one of these places.

As for the 4th....they are having a "BBQ" here (all done in the kitchen of course) for the [-]inmates [/-]residents.....I will pass on eating yet another "vanilla" meal with the rest of the folks [-]incarcerated[/-] living here. A hearty game of BINGO is the highpoint of the day. Yawn.......

:D I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. I'm planning to grill some hamburgers later today for my mother and aunt. My mom told me grill one in a skillet as my aunt does not like charcoal grilled one's. Plus I was instructed to make the patty very thin. I guess when you get old, plain Jane food is what they prefer. :-\

Going up to the mountains to a friend's cabin for a picnic celebration, then drive over to the fireworks show.

Happy 4th everyone!

My sons and I already saw a wonderful fireworks display last Sunday. A nearby suburb has a large party and fireworks display earlier than anyone else.

Tonight I'll be working as an usher at a large outdoor concert venue, Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls, OH.

The Cleveland Orchestra does a yearly Independence Day program including a salute to the Armed Forces, Sousa marches and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (including cannons). The weather should be cool and hopefully dry and after the concert everyone leaves the covered pavilion to watch a nice fireworks display. It a great family event, lots of people out on the lawn with picnics.

They did the same concert last night and from our house we could hear the booms and see the reflections in the clouds.

Well I went from just my SO & I sitting on the deck sipping wine to a houseful of guests . When you have a front row seat to all the fireworks you get a lot of heavy hinting .

Lazy morning watching some DVDs, and a little later it'll be a couple of beers and bacon-wrapped filets on the grill.

At about 4PM it occurred to me that the USPS would not be here today.

Father-daughter surfing. Check.
Long nap before our teen goes out tonight. Check.
Write a letter to my nephew the Army Ranger who's been making his own fireworks for the last month (and the next few months to boot). Check.
Assorted light honey-dos & yardwork. Check.
Screw around the rest of the day. (In progress.)
Pizza for dinner... thinking about it.
No taekwondo sparring tonight-- pass me a frosty beverage!

Stay up and watch the [-]aerials over Waipahu & Ewa[/-] officially-sanctioned fireworks from our bedroom window. And make some of our own there too...

Waikiki Beach fireworks! First visiting a tenant that's playing music in a beachfront bar.

Aloha from the 50th state.
Honobob

Took a ride to St. Augustine and enjoyed the area and some of the history. Tonight we went to the Cocoa Pier for the fireworks. All in all it was a good day.

I guess when you get old, plain Jane food is what they prefer. :-\

Well, then my Mom is right.....she's not old yet. Last night I took her out for dinner at our favorite Cajun joint, and she had jambalaya, gumbo, and jumbo shrimp. She also likes spicy Mexican and Chinese food as well. And loves food with lots of garlic. The only thing she can't stand is bland food. BTW, she turned 81 this year!

I'm taking her to 2 crawfish boils this month also.......she's counting the days! ;)

I bumped into a nice woman who lives in my building and we went down to a good vantage point to watch the Ivar's fireworks on Elliott Bay. It was a great show!

Ha

Last edited:
I bumped into a nice woman who lives in my building and we went down to a good vantage point to watch the Ivar's fireworks on Elliott Bay. It was a great show!

Ha
How were the fireworks?:D

I'll be at w*rk:'( Power plant operation is a 24/7/365 deal, and the schedule has yours truly on duty. Oh well, no bosses around, extra pay and things are quiet so far. Probably spend most of the day web surfing unless the thunderstorms form up in my area.:rolleyes:

Thank you!

Somebody has to keep the lights on. A BIL also works in a power plant, and I've worked my share of 4ths & other holidays (retired law enforcement).

And just think - the overtime will allow you to stimulate the economy and be patriotic.:)

Well, then my Mom is right.....she's not old yet. Last night I took her out for dinner at our favorite Cajun joint, and she had jambalaya, gumbo, and jumbo shrimp. She also likes spicy Mexican and Chinese food as well. And loves food with lots of garlic. The only thing she can't stand is bland food. BTW, she turned 81 this year!

I'm taking her to 2 crawfish boils this month also.......she's counting the days! ;)

Tell her to enjoy her 80's. When my Mom and Aunt reached 90, their taste buds headed south. ;)

Back
Top Bottom