What's killing Sears? Its own retirees

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
The story may be just the tip of the future problem with pensions, that hasn't seen too much attention.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/14/news/companies/sears-pension-retirees/index.html

This one has special meaning for me, as the early part of my career was spent with Sears, in a management training program.

It was in 1958, and I was assigned different short term assignments working with different parts of the company. Whan I was going through the sales training portion, I was assigned to an older, 65 year old saleman to learn the ropes. He was preparing to retire, and at that time, (1958) had, in his profit sharing program, a total of $213,000... inflation adjusted total today, $1.9 milion.

In my own case, profit sharing, from 1958 to 1966, when I left Sears, was very substantial. As I recall, about 50% of my last years' salary.

Brings me back to the pension payout problem, which I know has been endlessly discussed here on ER. A little closer to home, a good friend, recently retired from the Chicago School System with a $65K annual pension.

Not only is the teacher pension plan, essentially bankrupt, but the State of Illinois, is also in dire financial straits.

The next fallback program, the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, expects that the program will run out of funds before 2025, and become insolvent by 2036.

https://www.pbgc.gov/news/press/releases/pr17-04

So... a gloom and doom forecast. Individual pension programs obviously vary widely, but the fear goes beyond the individual, to the overall effect on the national economy over a long period.

Nothing new here, but a subject that is getting some local attention in our town, with questions about the solvency of local government plans... police departments and most other local government positions.

From what I've been reading, while there has been much discussion, there don't seem to be many positive solutions. The Chicago Teachers Pension Plan alone, is $11 Billion in arrears, with no obvious help from the state. I believe that other Illinois cities are in a similar situation. Many tens of thousand employees, in just one state, and just in the public sector. Current estimated Illinois Public Pension plans are underfunded by $138 Billion.

The only obvious solution, is a massive tax increase, which eventually affects all of us. I don't see any of us, here, finding the answers, but neither do I see any current overall analysis or overview that projects the effect on the economy. Links?

Last edited:
The good news is those covered by pensions represent a relatively small number of workers. Last I read it was less than 10% of the workforce. The bad news is if you are one of those folks, your pension will probably be cut. Illinois is probably one of the worst ones, but not the only one.

For Sears, it might go beyond the pension issue. Every time I go into a Sears (which isn't often) or a JC Penny, I feel like I may be one of the only customers in the store. Don't know how they stay in business.

Sears was the Amazon of its day. One of the biggest catalog retailers ever. The tallest building in the world at one time was the Sears Tower. Home Depot, Walmart and Costco starting eating their lunch and Amazon finished it off. Nothing lasts forever.

This might hit close to home. One of DW's cousins is married to a guy who retired from Sears and is getting a pension. If the pension is cut or goes away it will affect them severely, they will be left with SS and probably not much else. She was a teacher in a private school so I'm pretty sure all she has is SS.

Don’t write any more blog posts to blame pensioners for the collapse of Sears Holding after you wasted $5.8 billion on share buybacks.

Good one!

Outrageous, really. $5.8B on share buybacks!!!??!?

And most importantly: You blew, wasted, and destroyed $5.8 billion on share buybacks between 2005 and 2010 to manipulate up the share price, paying as much as $170 a share. Now they’re trading at $1.26.

Last edited:
The Sears guy belongs in that CEO thread! Making millions while accelerating the destruction of a company. Do you think he gets a bonus every year?

This reminds me of the guy at a certain Mega Bank, who when confronted by illegal practices going on in the branches, blamed the low level employees who worked in a toxic culture that gave lip service to the rules, and a kick in the rear to anybody who did not meet goals.

It's pathetic. I worked for Sears for many years while in college and the career people worked hard and put up with a lot to EARN that pension. Now, for some reason, paying the worker what he/she is due has become another sign of victimization.

This guy needs to build a bridge and get over it.

The next fallback program, the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, expects that the program will run out of funds before 2025, and become insolvent by 2036.

https://www.pbgc.gov/news/press/releases/pr17-04

So... a gloom and doom forecast. ....

Hold on there. I'll read the article in detail later, but where do you get the 'doom and gloom' with regard to PBGC and Sears?

From the PBGC:

Single-Employer Program Likely to Eliminate Deficit by 2022 -

The financial condition of PBGC's insurance program for single-employer plans remains likely to improve over the next decade.

You are quoting from the Multi-Employer program - I don't think that applies to Sears.

So it seems likely that Sears retirees will be covered OK by PGCB, unless you have info to say otherwise.

-ERD50

You are quoting from the Multi-Employer program - I don't think that applies to Sears.

So it seems likely that Sears retirees will be covered OK by PGCB, unless you have info to say otherwise.

-ERD50

Yes... thanks... I really wasn't trying to tie the two together, but as I led off my comments...
The story may be just the tip of the future problem with pensions, that hasn't seen too much attention.

The Sears article just seemed to be a current trigger for concern with pensions in general so I led off with that. I was hoping to find some kind of comprehensive major study of how pensions would affect our US economy in the future. We usually see bits and pieces that come and go in the news, I was hoping to start a general discussion about what the future would be when pensions of any kind fail... and if there were any links to studies that addressed the overall problems.

I do realize that with some exceptions that public and some other kinds of pensions are not covered by the PBGC, but felt it was necessary to show that even that federal safety net was in danger.

The discussion began and ended ended with Sears, so I guess I was a little too optimistic that we could discuss pensions as a general problem...

Probably just as well.. it really is too depressing. :blush:

Y ...

The discussion began and ended ended with Sears, so I guess I was a little too optimistic that we could discuss pensions as a general problem...

Probably just as well.. it really is too depressing. :blush:

OK, yes, I really thought this was Sears focused,as the title states.

I have seen before that the PBGC multi-employer programs seem to have a lot of bad stories. I think it might have been explained to me at some point, but I've forgotten now - but I assume that maybe they thought that being multi-employer, they were more diversified, so lower risk, so lower reserves?

Yes, some real issues with IL State pensions, but again, not all. DW is in the IMRF program (through no 'fault' of her own), and it is managed by the members (like a Credit Union), politicians have never had a hand in it, she pays into (and will benefit from) Soc Security (IL Teachers do not pay/benefit to/from SS), and the IMRF is well funded (+85% IIRC).

-ERD50

My father worked for a large government agency 1940 to 1979. At the time, they were paid less than private industry however their pension, insurance and other benefits were top notch. And the government allowed him to bank unused sick leave and cash it in at retirement.

After Dad's retirement, his agency started raising salaries to compete with private industry. But they kept the same pension benefit terms. They looked up and there is no way his agency will ever have the funds.and.income to pay retiree pensions. His government agency went from 33,000 employees.to 11-12,000 employees. They subcontracted out all of the jobs. And in the government way, the agency almost.exists to pay the $ billions they are behind in promised pensions. And they cannot catch up.

We have seen pension failures in Stockton, San Jose and Detroit. There is going to be a day of reckoning in California and Illinois and at the City of Chicago and many other cities/counties. When the money is gone,.there is none left--get used to it. Those in danger of pension reductions better have saved greatly for their future as lower pensions will be a reality for millions of people.

When my company was acquired I was given the option of waiting for my pension or taking a lump sum.

True to my lifelong maxim, I 'took the money and ran'. A few years later, the new company announced that the pensions would be cut and eventually, pennies on the dollar.

I'm not sure how it works but from what I heard, while the pension had been fully funded, so many like myself took their payout (high 6 figures) all at once upon the acquisition that there was no money left.

My invested payout has since tripled.

When my company was acquired I was given the option of waiting for my pension or taking a lump sum.

True to my lifelong maxim, I 'took the money and ran'. A few years later, the new company announced that the pensions would be cut and eventually, pennies on the dollar. ...

How could that be? Wouldn't the PBGC have been involved, forcing them to shore it up, or cover them up to the cap?

-ERD50

We have seen pension failures in Stockton, San Jose and Detroit. There is going to be a day of reckoning in California and Illinois and at the City of Chicago and many other cities/counties. When the money is gone,.there is none left--get used to it. Those in danger of pension reductions better have saved greatly for their future as lower pensions will be a reality for millions of people.

NYS constitution, gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. I sleep well.

[Membership in retirement systems; benefits not to be diminished nor impaired]
§7. (a) After July first, nineteen hundred forty, membership in any pension or retirement system of the state or of a civil division thereof shall be a contractual relationship, the benefits of which shall not be diminished or impaired.

How could that be? Wouldn't the PBGC have been involved, forcing them to shore it up, or cover them up to the cap?

-ERD50
Dunno.
I was long gone, cash in hand, by the time this was reported to me.

IIRC they ended the pension plan and folks who were absorbed by the new company were instead given lump sums much lower than what those at the head of the line got.

As I said, I'm not sure how it all works but the pension was fully funded until 50 of us decided we'd each take our $700k or so upon the acquisition and our termination. Not exactly sure what happened after that.

Last edited:
As I said, I'm not sure how it all works ....

Well, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. PBGC would have been involved, it's what they do.

The 'multi-employer' plans are different, but I still have trouble with 'pennies on the dollar'.

I just don't want to see people get all worried over a doom and gloom comment that might be unfounded. Things are bad enough already!

-ERD50

I just don't want to see people get all worried over a doom and gloom comment that might be unfounded.

-ERD50

100% agree.

But I'd be more concerned about anyone who'd take any comment from me (or anywhere else on the internet) and worry about it without more checking.

(I did imply that it was hearsay and that I have no insight to the inner workings of these things.)

But you're right. I'll abstain from further comment.

Last edited:
For Sears, it might go beyond the pension issue. Every time I go into a Sears (which isn't often) or a JC Penny, I feel like I may be one of the only customers in the store. Don't know how they stay in business.
+1. The pension liability may be hurting Sears & JCP, but their format is the underlying cause of death...

In fairness, here is an extended article that suggests that the concern over pensions is very overwrought. https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/02/pensions-wall-street-social-security

A worthwhile read, IMHO.
I gave up halfway though. No offense, but not much substance, and it's not clear the authors understand pension funding.

Sears looks to be a case of a business that should have closed years ago, but hasn't, because too much financing / too easily obtained. One of the side effects of teh easy-money policies of the past decades is how it has weakened the "creative destruction" economic process.

Extremely poor management.

Their on line presence was a disaster. Their stores had the wrong stock and there were too many of them. Management was more concerned about taking dividends than running the business.

No sympathy for Sears.

Back
Top Bottom