What's your favorite breakfast cereal?

Kashi's Go Lean with blueberries and skim milk. I like Honey Nut Cheerios without milk for a dry snack. I have already had breakfast, but I am going to have oatmeal with raisins for lunch! Sounds yummy!

I was able to find Kashi Go Lean cereal at a Big Lots store for $1.99 a box. I bought either 12 or 15 boxes at that price. This was around 10/07 and the expiration date is in 05/08. I just checked and I have 6 boxes left. However, I am out of blueberries. I need to go to Sam's Club and buy the large bags of frozen Dole's blueberries.

I also eat the Kashi cereals and made a similar large quantity purchase when I saw them on sale at Big Y. However most of the time I pay the stupid price at the local rip off market since I just stop on the way home from w*rk.

However, I have skipped the St. Martin trip for three years in a row (joe - SXM = joe in St. Maarten) and that will buy a lot of kashi :)

During weekdays, Nature's Path Flax Plus Multibran, or the occasional bowl of steel cut oats with brown sugar.

On weekends or on DW's off days, crepes or waffles with eggs and homemade smoothies.

DW loves the Joe's Os and Apple Granola cereal from Trader Joe's.

5 parts organic rolled oats, 3 parts oat bran, 3 parts wheat bran, dash of wheat germ, dash of cinnamon, water, nuke for 5 minutes, add self-picked frozen wild blueberries, top with skim milk, nuke 20 seconds more.
This is a healthy cheap breakfast, especially when I buy 25-lb bags of rolled oats.
I have ambitions to add freshly ground flax seed but don't want to put flax in my coffee bean grinder.
You can take the girl out of the 1970's but....

Grape Nuts Flakes, plus strawberries (in season), walnuts, a tablespoon of wheat germ, and skim milk.

I like to get my iron in first thing in the morning to make sure I get it.

Grape Nuts Flakes, plus strawberries (in season), walnuts, a tablespoon of wheat germ, and skim milk.

I like to get my iron in first thing in the morning to make sure I get it.

Do you have low iron?

What do people with hemochromatosis or who otherwise have high iron do? A lot of breakfast cereals are high in iron.

Do you have low iron?

Nope. I was just finding as an avid high peak climber in the Adirondacks that half a bagel and a cup of yogurt for breakfast would fill me up in the morning but give me nothing to go on a couple hours later.

A fellow climber suggested that I had to watch what I eat since with my small size and small appetite I had to make it all count.

So I got a great book and got as far as planning breakfast. It's not always cereal, but this thread asked about my cereal choice.

Last edited:
Read up on glycemic loads and glycemic indexes. Yogurt and a bagel will give you plenty of glucose quickly, but then its gone. Foods that have a longer glucose dispersion will give you energy for a lot longer. An ideal food has both a long steady dispersion of glucose and a lot of soluble fiber, which will make you feel full longer.

For the purposes of this thread, oatmeal (preferably the steel cut version) has a lot of soluble fiber and releases its glucose more slowly.

YouTube - Good Eats S5E2P1: Oat Cuisine
YouTube - Good Eats S5E2P2: Oat Cuisine

In the second part, around 2 minutes in, theres a nice explanation of this.

the best yogurt i've ever had was in switzerland.

In the US, Fage total (10% fat) is good. Locally here, there are creameries that make their own nice, tart yogurts.

We get Fage from Wholefoods by the case, then we get a 5% discount.
Fage USA

cerealwise --> cold: the best is my homemade granola.
but since I haven't had alot of time lately ( make that since ds was born), we eat Tierra Farms granola which we get through a co-op at $3.50/lb.
100% Organic Nuts, Seeds and Dried Fruit - Tierra Farm

hot cereal: McCann's oatmeal. The best tasting, steel cut too. Good plain, or mixed with random stuff. Unfortunately I usually have enough time to make it only on holidays.
McCann's Irish Oatmeal - Steel Cut

Quisp - but since I haven't seen it on grocer's shelves in decades - I settle for Life.

Yes Arc.. I was devastated when Quisp disappeared. I mourned him. (Quake, OTOH was a pointless re-creation of Captain Crunch).

A very cool toy I got was a Quisp air gun that you'd fill with talcum powder to make a big "pooof!" (and drive your mother insane with the mess).

Also from the past, a big favorite was "Puffa-Puffa-Rice" (I think) with a Hawaiian/South Pacific theme.

Today I don't eat cereal for breakfast.. If I did I'd like Honey Nut Cheerios or even Regular Cheerios. Shredded wheat and mini-shredded wheat are excellent, too if they are fresh (in the past I remember getting some staler-tasting packages).

Read up on glycemic loads and glycemic indexes. Yogurt and a bagel will give you plenty of glucose quickly, but then its gone. Foods that have a longer glucose dispersion will give you energy for a lot longer. An ideal food has both a long steady dispersion of glucose and a lot of soluble fiber, which will make you feel full longer.

On mountain climbing days, I usually start with a veggie omelet and peanut butter on toast. An hour later I have a banana. An hour and half later I have a tasty half of a sandwich. I don't worry about it from there. I just can't eat the nuts and raisins a lot of people eat. I can't eat nuts and raisins on an empty stomach.

Back
Top Bottom