What's Your Phobia?

twaddle

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mine are a fear of heights and fear of surgeons.

I'm not convinced either is really an irrational fear. The fear of heights is really more generalized as a fear of catastrophic single points of failure. I don't understand why everybody doesn't have that same fear.

How can you walk across a rickety old suspension bridge? How can you stand calmy atop a great precipice?

And surgeons? Why would anybody voluntarily let somebody cut them open? Forget it! That skin is there for a reason.

I have an irrational fear of needles, which makes some visits to the dentist very interesting for the staff. I had some minor surgery a couple of years ago, the nurse scribbled on my paperwork, "NEEDLE FREAK!!!". She then did a great job with the IV installation.

Oh, and I have an overwhelming fear of office cubicles.;)

Fear of heights and sharks adapting to fresh water. (swimming in lake superior as a kid all the time, when you can see the bottom 50 feet below you, you start to wonder when they'll be there.)

People who post like chicken little. I'm getting over it but it has taken alot of therapy.

(swimming in lake superior as a kid all the time, when you can see the bottom 50 feet below you, you start to wonder when they'll be there.)

A friend of mine told me the story of how he tried to swim out to a far point in the middle of a large lake. He made it, but exhaustion began to set in on the way back. He wasn't sure he was going to make it to shore.

After he told me the story, I developed a fear of drowning from swimming too far. :)

Heights ! When we drove on the coastal highway I had to pull over and breathe in a paper bag also just looking at that bridge over the Grand Canyon makes me shake .

A friend of mine told me the story of how he tried to swim out to a far point in the middle of a large lake. He made it, but exhaustion began to set in on the way back. He wasn't sure he was going to make it to shore.

After he told me the story, I developed a fear of drowning from swimming too far. :)

Well, to be fair, it's easy to be in 50' deep water swimming just a hundred feet (or less) off of the shore.

If you know how to float then you shouldn't have to be too worried in a lake. If there isn't a strong undertow or surf then just flip on your back and do a basic stroke. If all else fails, a dead man's float can come in handy.. or a pair of water wings!

Dentistry. I have PTSD.
The next time I need something major done, I'm asking for fun drugs. Not asking, demanding.

Heck, I was trying to figure out what I'm a feared of......and can't think of a single thing! Maybe I don't have any phobias......or maybe I'm just too dumb to realize that I should be afraid of something or another!

Well.....I've sat here for about 10 minutes now, pondering it.....and still can't come up with anything. Dang! Now I feel like a misfit! :D

Being forced to live in a trailer park in Arkansas, next door to circus clowns with video cameras and leprous Marshallese.

Snakes. I hyperventilate if I even see a picture of one.

Current fears:
1. Being discovered in the check out line at the grocery store with something embarrassing in my cart e.g. pop tarts for neighbor kids, national enquirer for their grandmother, etc
2. Having my guitars seized or damaged during search at borders (both have happened more than once)

Past fears:
1. Middle age
2. Eyelash curlers

Getting snowed in at a major airport on a holiday weekend.

Anything involving infants.

Flying through turbulence and going to the doctor. Even though I am one.

Heights and office cubicles.

Flying.

My FIL was moving back north to live with us. He said he would die if he had to fly. His sons convinced him that was the best way to travel back home. Well he died on the way home.

It bothers me so much that I can't fly.

Years ago I had been in a small float plane flying up in Canada and the pilot had plane trouble and we almost crashed when taking off. After that I gave up small planes. I still could fly in the big ones but they made me squeamish. Now I can't fly at all.

Totally irrational.

Snakes. I hyperventilate if I even see a picture of one.

Me too! Snakes are my worst phobia and then heights. Not too crazy about sharks, but I wouldn't call it a phobia--just as normal fear of something that can eat you.

I have a situational fear of heights. I was a military pilot and have no problem with flying. No problem with bridges, high buildings, etc. But climbing on a ladder more than 10 or 12 feet high is uncomfortable. More that 15-18 feet is a no go. When I painted the exterior of the house last year I had to hire a painter to do the high parts. Four areas go 20' or more and I could not force myself to let go of the ladder with one hand to paint at that height.

After reading these posts, I think my phobia list is starting to grow. :eek:

I have a situational fear of heights. I was a military pilot and have no problem with flying. No problem with bridges, high buildings, etc. But climbing on a ladder more than 10 or 12 feet high is uncomfortable. More that 15-18 feet is a no go. When I painted the exterior of the house last year I had to hire a painter to do the high parts. Four areas go 20' or more and I could not force myself to let go of the ladder with one hand to paint at that height.

Our last house was pretty tall with a steeply pitched roof. I would be OK with cleaning the gutters once in a while (with my high-tech ladder with stabilizers). But no way was I going on that roof.

So I called a roofer to fix something on the roof. A pro. Probably 30 years experience. I noticed him at the top of the ladder. Not moving for maybe 20 minutes.

"How's it going up there?"

"I'm coming down. I just need to take a break for a while."

He was a mess. And he was pretty embarrassed that a customer witnessed his fear. Perfectly rational, I tell ya. :)

Public speaking. The thought of it absolutely makes me freeze.

They say one tip to help you deal with the fear is to imagine someone in your audience, or all the audience, in their underwear. Instead my whole audience becomes a bunch of tarantul:eek:as!

Right there with you - we had an old multi unit roofed this summer - 2 storys and a peaked roof over a daylight basement. For some reason i feel i have to show the flag when people are working on our stuff, so up i went on two ladder sets and a section of lower roof. Going over the top of the upper ladder onto the roof had me shaking. Once there i was trying to communicate with the Hispanic crew - the roof on top with dormer sections was fairly shallow pitch, so i was doing ok until Primo wanted to show me some rotten fascia. He walked the highest roof ridge out to the peak, bent over, and grabbed the fascia trim to show me the rot beneath. Think bending over to touch your toes. Think toes at the peak of a roof 35 feet above the ground. I got to within three feet of the edge and that was plenty for me. Real funny Primo! I give the crew a lot of credit for concealing their grins and laughter as i hastened my return to terra firma..

Are we supposed to list just our top fear? Or am I the only one with multiple conditions? :)

The good thing is that as I revolve around the sun more and more, I seem to gradually 'get used to' some of these in a small way:

Heights: tried walking up the Eiffel Tower - made it to the 1st landing.Couldn't take a single step more above it if my life depended on it. I think with heights, it's a thing where if I feel fresh air on my face, I'm a goner. However, if I'm enclosed (like at the top of the St. Louis Arch), then I'm relatively ok. Also, if it''s on a ladder more than 6' off the ground, I'm a goner too :). Which made things really interesting on construction jobsites when I occasionally was faced with possibly having to climb up a ladder. I always took the long way around. :)

However, during my trip to New Zealand last year, I signed up for a glacier hiking expedition. They didn't tell me that you would have to climb up steps carved in the ice, or climb up a 15' ladder leaning against a giant boulder. Somehow, when I didn't have time to ponder it (and realizing that I paid my $160 and would have to sit there all day and make a fool of myself in front of everyone else), my mind was able to say "awww, shut up you big whiner" and just kicked myself into action. Perhaps I need a financial penalty to get over my fear? ;)

Sharks: I don't know why, but when I was little, I was afraid of swimming by myself in my parents' swimming pool. (No, it wasn't cloudy with algae where you couldn't see the bottom :) ). Was always paranoid of a shark. Same with being in the ocean. Have since gotten over the pool thing, but still a little weary of being in the ocean.

Running out of money - well, I suppose you could say that. :p :). Perhaps that's why I'm such a cheapskate? Or perhaps my thriftiness is independent, interdependent, and co-dependent (all at the same time) with my expenditure style?

Needles: I've noticed that I actually stop breathing when faced with it because I'm so nervous (partly from anticipation of pain that never really materializes - odd, because I have a fairly high pain tolerance). When I had an ingrown toenail a while back and needed a numbing shot for the podiatrist to finish yanking it out, I was so nervous that I simply stopped breathing (didn't realize it at the time). The smart-assed assistant looks up at me, smiles, and says "You've turned white!"

"no sh*t sherlock! Can you do anything to make this poor patient feel even more uncomfortable?"

Have also had a few blood samples taken over the years. Have noticed that I am getting better on those - just have to remember to keep breathing. :)
I think it's part of a reflex to 'withdraw' away from the needle as much as possible - and for some reason, I'm so focused on trying to draw back into myself that my body isn't worried about breathing.

Fear of the unknown: like walking through the woods or in the basement and I feel a spiderweb brush across my face/hair/shirt. I know the odds are overwhelmingly in my favor that the spider (if even there) isn't poisonous - but it's the aspect of 'not knowing' what the hell situation I'm in that bothers me the most. (No, I don't have a fear of spiders. In fact, I'm fascinated by all animals - it's just the 'not knowing' part...). I suppose that's also why I'm always 'aware' of what's going on around me whenever I'm outside at night. Even if it's out in the suburbs where your chance of catching a cold is 100x greater than being the victim of any crime. :)

Back
Top Bottom