Where am I?

This thread reminds me of the old hardware stores with the creaky wood floors, and an old guy working there that knew exactly what you needed and how to fix everything.

Yeah, he died, I saw his obit. Now the floors don't creak.

This thread reminds me of the old hardware stores with the creaky wood floors, and an old guy working there that knew exactly what you needed and how to fix everything.

You are looking for Venice Florida . Up until a few years ago it had a rexall drug store with a luncheonette complete with huge counter were the locals would go for lunch and gossip . The main street is little shops and outdoor restaurants . The have town parades for everything . The library is two blocks from downtown and most people bike there . The beach is just blocks away from main street and as for police they do not really have much to do .

Home
I made note of that one. DW and I are interested in places to spend about a month or two in the winter. Ideally, we would have either an idyllic urban setting ala OP (needs good restaurants) or a waterfront setting near to the urban oasis. AND, most important, must have good biking roads and/or trails. I will probably start a separate thread about that nearer to when I want to consider some places.

Going into the Blue White Grill in Martinsburg, WV is like walking into the early 1960's. Talk about a Twilight Zone experience! We stumbled upon that during a drive around. Still has the soda fountain with the stools, and booths. Didn't see the jukebox though.

I like that style diner. My time has passed evidently because I get no thrill waiting behind the half-height wall with the plastic plants obscuring the dining area with 300 intimate diners seated in the deafening roar of Appleby's or Chili's.

I ate at the Mecca Diner in Raleigh, NC last year and it was a Twighlight Zone experience. The lady at the register could have been there in 1898 for all I knew. Register was vintage 1920s or so. Special was meatloaf with catsup coating. Yumm.

My Dream Town

Going into the Blue White Grill in Martinsburg, WV is like walking into the early 1960's. Talk about a Twilight Zone experience! We stumbled upon that during a drive around. Still has the soda fountain with the stools, and booths. Didn't see the jukebox though.

I made note of that one. DW and I are interested in places to spend about a month or two in the winter. Ideally, we would have either an idyllic urban setting ala OP (needs good restaurants) or a waterfront setting near to the urban oasis. AND, most important, must have good biking roads and/or trails. I will probably start a separate thread about that nearer to when I want to consider some places.

Well it has both waterfront setting and easy access to Sarasota,Fl for great restaurants . One of the best bike paths there would be Casperon beach park.

Small world. big city kid also, born LA, lived in Chi, NYC, Hong Kong, and London/England many years. W2 4AD, Queensway. Just back of Whiteley's.

But, I am yearning for something I cannot seem to find. I want a market square from Skipton, N. Yorks, and Rue Cler and maybe three blocks of Nathan Rd., Kowloon, transported to the US and put into the area just South of Market.

Anyone seen that place yet?

Check out Montrose, CA. Not too far from Chinatown.

mP

You are spot on about the coastline and it gets even better the further North you go up into Northumberland. Oh man, you've got me drooling again .....

Wanna go home, eh?

Ligonier, PA

Also check out Ligonier, PA. Or any of numerous towns along the Lincoln Highway(Rte. 30) or the old National Road(Rte. 40) through PA. Some of the places are like Mayberry.

I think what I'm looking for is an enclave within a large city. The tobacco warehouse area of Richmond might get there in 10 years, but I'm kinda thinking that some city, somewhere can be about 200,000 and still be like it was in 1940-1950, but maybe that does not exist.

Also check out Ligonier, PA. Or any of numerous towns along the Lincoln Highway(Rte. 30) or the old National Road(Rte. 40) through PA. Some of the places are like Mayberry.

Back
Top Bottom