Where to Buy Webbing / Straps for old style aluminum folding chair?

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My gf has a few of those old aluminum folding chairs for outdoor use. They have the plastic straps that interweave vertically and horizontally. The straps are fraying and I want to replace some of them. Looks easy - just 2 screws to remove, for each strap.

People tell me just to go to Home Depot or a hardware store to get new strapping. No luck so far! They don't have it and tell me to get it online.

I did find it online, for $9 for 39 feet of strapping, including shipping. But I'd rather just go buy it at a store.

Anyone have any luck finding this strapping at a brick and mortar place?

And no, I don't want to just "buy a new chair". :) :greetings10: :LOL:

Thanks

Outdated products like this are rarely stocked in local stores. Unless an independent local hardware (do they even exist anymore?) has some on a dusty back shelf, online may be your only source.

I actually bought some locally just a few years ago (for another DIY project, not to re-web an old chair). Don't recall where I got it, local HW store (ace or TrueValue, maybe Walmart?

Just says "Webbing Kit"

Wellington Home Products Madison, GA 30650

Barcode 0 49818 53568 7

Maybe the mfg could tell you where to get locally?

We like the newer fold-up, canvas chairs so much better, I will not re-web one of those old ones. Aluminum will go to recycling.

-ERD50

I re-did a few chairs several years ago, & I believe I bought the material at a Wal-Mart. No idea whether they still carry that stuff.

Call around to local hardware stores to see if you can find it.

Recently I wanted to get some staples for an older staple gun I had acquired. They were not available locally. They were available online at
Amazon so I waited until I had some other items to order to reach the free shipping min. The staples work fine. I always thought staples were staples, but not anymore.

With the exception of groceries just because there is so much more online than locally I probably buy more stuff online than in stores anymore. While we're hardly in an isolated spot in WV, we're not near any large cities either so choices locally can be limited.

And often what I want is specialized so I'd have to drive for hours to get to and from a store that carries it. Easier and almost always cheaper to order online and wait a few days.

I have used Lawnchairusa.com twice. I like them. Redid all of my lawnchairs in the "Charleston" pattern. It is pretty easy.

Good luck!

You can probably buy a modern fold out nylon chair for less than the webbing at WalMart. I know I have seen them for ~$5.

Another option if you can use black - I have bought similar material at the big box home improvement stores - it is webbing used to hang ductwork - seems sturdy and easy to work with and was quite inexpensive as I recall - but only in black.

Thanks for the responses! :) I called a bunch of local places, and everyone said no. Time to cave and go online !

I still have same type of chairs. Wood arm rests. Very comfortable and cool.

In past, I found the webbing at Walmart. Hope they still carry them.
A couple of my chairs need re-webbing also.

:flowers:

I was at the metal recycling place today. There were a bunch of old aluminum lawn chairs with intact webbing, all in a pile. I thought of you. :flowers:

I rebuilt two of these chairs within the last year and I just went to the largest and oldest hardware store in town and lo and behold, they actually had it hanging on a display board. Cost me just about $10 for two chairs.
Just try individual owned hardware stores and check with them. It worked for me and you might be surprised.

Update! :) Called 2 independent hardware stores, Walmart, 2 "patio furniture" places, an "odd lot" discount place, Home Depot, and Lowe's. Nada.

Called a flea market I found online. The clerk who answered the phone said nope, no webbing here. Just for kicks, and out of boredom, I drove down to the flea market anyway, and sure enough they did have webbing !I bought 2 packages, for only a buck each!! :dance: Woo hoo! 39 feet of webbing in each package.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, and thanks to the guys who suggested flea markets, of course. You were right !

I don't mind all the time I spent looking. I'm retired, after all, right? :cool:

I was at the metal recycling place today. There were a bunch of old aluminum lawn chairs with intact webbing, all in a pile. I thought of you. :flowers:

Ouch! I see them there too, travelover. I can't bring myself to check too closely. Just keep walking. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom