Join Early Retirement Today

Where to find business reviews
Old 11-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where to find business reviews

Like many, I pretty much discount everything I read on the web when it comes to business or service reviews. Everything is for sale including company reputations via fake reviews, puffery or sites that make money off businesses by removing negative reviews. Sites like Yelp seem to attract folks who want to make a lot of noise and rant about being mistreated. It's hard to put a lot of stock in those reviews because they are emotionally charged.

Product reviews are easier to trust since sites like Consumer Reports seem to be squeaky clean. Forums like this one and others are helpful for product reviews because everyone is willing to share experiences, good or bad, in the interests of fair and truthful discussion.

However, are there any websites that you use to get trustworthy reviews of professional services? The only one that seems straightforward to me is Sitejabber, although I have just now discovered it.

As an example, I'm looking for online legal services (boilerplate wills, directives, etc). Here's the disclaimer at the bottom of one review site that was high in search:
NextAdvisor.com is a consumer information site that offers free, independent reviews and ratings of online services. We receive advertising revenue from most but not all of the companies whose products and services we review.
I read their 'reviews' of 5 legal services sites. The site they would not recommend (1 star) and said was crap seems to me a great choice and got good reviews on other sites. To quote recent news headlines, it's a rigged system and it's based on pay to play.

If you have a trusted site, I'd love to be able to bookmark it for future reference.

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

I look at the overall trends of the reviews and not so much the individual ones. For example on Amazon if there are 200 reviews on a product I know some are going to be one-star reviews even if everyone else gave it five stars. So while I'll read some of the reviews, I look at the overall pattern. And if the product is an expensive one or I just want to take the time I'll look at several sites.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

For many services, I have had excellent experiences with AngiesList.com This includes financial services, though I also get recommendations from my financial advisor.