Where you were employed pics

Early in my career.

Attachments

• paperboy.jpg
    paperboy.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 52
Post No. 2 of my "workplace"......near the end of the career, I spent time here:

(looks cold, well it was (-35 F))

Fladeland11-1HPumpingUnit_zps69e30498.JPG

I am still working but hope to go to pasture in a couple of years.

Spent lots of time offshore and onshore in hydrocarbon processing plants

1MweIJn.jpg

I like the anonymous nature of the internet, and for that reason do not want to post a photo of the outside of my work building. It would be equivalent to telling the world where I worked................
And, probably who you are:cool:

Spent the majority of my career here.

Small world. I live not 10 mins. from there now.

Spent most of my working life in and around here..

Attachments

• VISTA_CARGO_THUMBNAIL.jpg
    VISTA_CARGO_THUMBNAIL.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 43
I worked at the Bell Labs facility in Holmdel NJ for 25 years. Designed by famed architect Eero Saarinen, and once the jewel of America's R & D efforts, the building has lately been seen in the Cadillac commercial shown during the Oscars broadcast.

I have some great memories of that building.

https://youtu.be/EIvRNpkj7qY (The Cadillac commercial)

She certainly would have been my greatest memory.

There's a video? the building only comes in grey with 8 foot thick reinforced concrete walls.

You Funny Guys. That building was constructed in the early 60's and was lauded by the Architectural Press for it's Energy Efficiency. The Open Atrium shown in the video was considered a marvel at the time, an indoor space where impromptu meetings could be convened. The campus around the building consisted of 470 acres of bucolic Central Jersey farmland.

There were over 6000 Engineers working on various projects featuring Solid State Physics, Laser Technology, and Broadband Communications. The CD Player you own, and the Speakers you hear it through were first imagined by Bell Labs Science. The Cell Phone you carry around, and the Integrated Circuits in your Computer were conjured up in the halls of that building.

Perhaps your NORAD building resembled a WWII bunker, but Bell Labs was an institution ahead of it's time.

One employer's London offices were in this building. I was never based there, but boy,did I feel like the height of cool as I walked past tourists on my way in every morning when I had meetings there.

image-from-originalbuzz-info.jpg

Very cool building!

I'm not against posting my picture (above) where I cut my teeth in engineering as it reminds me how poorly some companies were run in the 1970's (and earlier). That was a tribute to how we lost our once held manufacturing excellence in this great country of ours.
Don't worry. It isn't any better in development today. It is on a great slide.

The difference is once the company shuts, it only takes about 2 weeks to clear out the "open space" desks we work in, and then recarpet and repaint. The building can then be repurposed for something else important, like sales or collecting invoices.

This is where I work as an usher in the summers.

This is Blossom Music Center, the summer home of The Cleveland Orchestra. It's surrounded by the Cuyahoga Valley National Park so it's a lovely setting in the woods.

Attachments

• BMC.jpg
    BMC.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 190
My Industrial Engineering days I worked for the brass and copper manufacturing plant in Ansonia, Connecticut. The plant was built in ~1890 or so (I found pictures of the power plant going up in 1911). It was shut down in about 15 years ago. About 1,000,000 sq/ft under roof. When I was in CT this past April, I drove by and stopped at a gate and took this (welcome to the real New England):

View attachment 26313

My wife's girlfriend(best friend), lost her job this spring, a few weeks ago we went with her to pick up some stuff they let her keep, file cabinet, etc.. Thats what the place looked like, all fenced in and a bit depressing from its former glory.

I am not employed here, but I have many friends who were. It is the old Burroughs/Wellcome building in RTP, NC. It is also featured in the movie "Brainstorm" as a cutting edge research facility. It is iconic RTP, NC.

Alas, through various multinational mergers and strategies, the original company and workers are gone. The building was somewhat vacant for a while, until a new biotech firm took it over. They are currently demolishing parts, and renovating parts with a plan to keep the most iconic facade in place. Here's a cool story about the current work, along with pictures of the inside, and some of the decay.

5368479359_3e2953048d_b.jpg

Edit: the comments on the article are interesting. A lot of retirees sharing fond memories of working in such a funky place.

Last edited:
Here's another of my old haunts.
4-story Blockhouse on the left, 2-story blockhouse on the right, with auxiliary power plant behind. No windows anywhere.

Since this was in a northern climate with lots of snow, for most of the year I went to work in the dark, stayed in the windowless building all day, and left in the dark. I could literally go for months without ever seeing the sun. Can you say "depressing"?

Attachments

• blockhouse.jpg
    blockhouse.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 36
You Funny Guys. That building was constructed in the early 60's and was lauded by the Architectural Press for it's Energy Efficiency. The Open Atrium shown in the video was considered a marvel at the time, an indoor space where impromptu meetings could be convened. The campus around the building consisted of 470 acres of bucolic Central Jersey farmland.

There were over 6000 Engineers working on various projects featuring Solid State Physics, Laser Technology, and Broadband Communications. The CD Player you own, and the Speakers you hear it through were first imagined by Bell Labs Science. The Cell Phone you carry around, and the Integrated Circuits in your Computer were conjured up in the halls of that building.

Perhaps your NORAD building resembled a WWII bunker, but Bell Labs was an institution ahead of it's time.
You're absolutely right, the technology in the PAR building was years ahead of its time. The Central Logic and Control mission computer was the world's first multiprocessor computer. the building was designed to survive a close nuclear explosion which is why the 8 foot thick walls.The PAR is the sole survivor of the original ABM system.

Last edited:
Well, my first job out of college was here. Didn't see the rainbow most days. :)

kwauneenpp.jpg

Most of my career was spent here, and I was lucky to have my office window overlooking a TPC golf course, but most of the time I was way to busy to appreciate the view.

Attachments

• hidden-ridge pic.jpg
    hidden-ridge pic.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom