Which ereader do you prefer?

If one were the kind of person to do this, the DRM is more easily removed from the ePub format books than from the kindle books. That is, if you want to download a book from the library and read it at your leisure, a device that can use ePub is an advantage.

You could just leave the wireless off once your book is due. The book will remain on your Kindle until you turn the wireless back on.

Usually I remember to finish a library book within the three week period allowed, though.

If you are in Europe will you still loose a library book when you turn on the WiFi? The Kindle cannot access cloud storage (Amazon) from Europe (as I understand the current state of affairs). But maybe WiFi is another issue?

But if you don't "return" the eBook in time, does that mean the next person waiting for it can't borrow it?

But if you don't "return" the eBook in time, does that mean the next person waiting for it can't borrow it?

Go ahead and "return" it on the Amazon website using your computer. Just don't turn your Kindle wireless on. There shouldn't be any problem that way AFAIK. But then, I've only done this once...

Last edited:
When you check a book out you specify the time (7, 14, 21 days). At the expiration of that time (or earlier if you notify the library that it is done) the library frees up the license to that book for another loan. They are not aware that you "still have" the book.

I can second the Sony hatred. Bought my wife one and while she likes reading on it, it is a royal pain. Freezes, won't update, terrible software, etc.. For what it's worth in fact, avoid EVERYTHING Sony. They are not the company they used to be (and I used to be a big fan).

My ASUS Transformer tablet is really quite good as an e-reader. Added advantage with tablets and apps is you can download any book in any format and read them (not tied into a proprietary software).

Also, my wife installed the new Google Play/Google Books extension onto her Google Chrome browser at work. Now she can read her ebooks right on her desktop monitor at work (lucky she works for me and not some ogre boss... lol) In fact, with Dropbox, she can read the library e-books she downloaded at home here and at home.

The Transformer Prime is fantastic. Quad core, great screen, ICS software, optional keyboard with amazing extra battery life. Every bit as good as the IPAD, less expensive and much more "freedom" and functionality with Android than IOS. YMMV.

But I need Windows.

I am very satisfied with my Kindle 3DX. I like the ability to get samples of most books so I can sample them before buying. Being a cheapskate I still prefer going to the library.

But I need Windows.

I'm sorry to hear that. They don't let me near windows, though *grin*.

I use the iPad for everything and am completely happy (recovering computer geek here). I've not found any application I need that can't be done on it. Others may have Windows specific programs they have to have, such as Al.

I have enough gear in the basement to build three desktops, three old laptops (one doesn't evev have CD drive nor USB port) and enough Linux distros to make them viable. They're a waste of time and space anymore, however.

There's a new Nook with e-ink and a backlight. Now we're talking.

Hands On: Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch With GlowLight | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

"The retailer today unveiled the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, an upgraded version of its existing Nook Simple Touch, which is our current Editors' Choice for touch-based ebook readers. What's interesting is that it wasn't done with an actual backlight, because with E Ink, you can't have one. Instead, the new model contains a small series of LEDs embedded within the frame."

Really seems like ePub is a more consumer-friendly format.

Yet the Kindle dominates with its proprietary format.

I like my iPad for reading indoors and my kindle for reading outside.

I was sitting outside in the direct sun at a coffee shop yesterday (rare event here), and was surprised to find that my iPod touch was easy to read. It wasn't an issue at all.

There's a new Nook with e-ink and a backlight. Now we're talking.

Hands On: Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch With GlowLight | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

"The retailer today unveiled the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, an upgraded version of its existing Nook Simple Touch, which is our current Editors' Choice for touch-based ebook readers. What's interesting is that it wasn't done with an actual backlight, because with E Ink, you can't have one. Instead, the new model contains a small series of LEDs embedded within the frame."

I would pay the extra $60 and get a Kindle Fire . It does so much more than just an ereader .

I was sitting outside in the direct sun at a coffee shop yesterday (rare event here), and was surprised to find that my iPod touch was easy to read. It wasn't an issue at all.

That's great Al! Unfortunately my iPad is impossible to read outside.

This is an old thread but relevent today as well.

I am looking for an tablet reader that works well in bright and sunny environments. I want it for books but mostly to read news papers and news sites. Idealy it would work with organizers such as Feedly Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom