Which ereader do you prefer?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was using a libre aluratek ereader the other day and while I liked it. It kept shutting down the page every 45 seconds, kind of like a screensaver. It was no problem to turn back on you just had to push the power button and it came right back on. I was wondering if anyone here uses and ereader , which brand do you prefer and which format you think is the best. Kind of a pros and cons thing. thanks

As much as I [-]love[/-] like my iPad, it's not a good reader except indoors. If there's a better eReader than a black & white e-Ink Kindle or Nook, I don't know what it would be. You can't beat their readability or low cost/value. I have friends with Kindles who just love them! But we'll see what others say...

Last edited:
Love my ipad for reading books. However, I don't read it outside, so don't know about that aspect.

I had the Nook and I now have a Kindle Fire . They both have their good points . I like Barnes & Noble's site better for book reviews and recommendations . I love my Kindle Fire because it offers so much more than just an e reader . Plus now that the library downloads automatically to the Kindle it is just one more plus . The negative about the Kindle is you never know what page you are on .They are both the same size so ideal to throw in a purse and go.

There are almost as many different opinions on this question as there are people. :)

As for my opinion, I like reading on my e-ink Kindle. My favorite e-ink Kindle is the one they had just before the three new Kindles came out - - some call it a Kindle 3, others the keyboard Kindle.

I have an iPad but don't read on it much. IMO e-ink is much easier on my eyes than back-lit screens. YMMV

I bought the basic Nook because it was not 'back-lit' and was the best choice for being able to read outside. I know Kindle makes a similar version but I understand it comes with some built in on-screen advertising that I didn't want to have to look at. I have been happy with the choice.

The Nook is my favorite. I like the e-ink screen which is very readable in the sunlight. The battery life is very long between charges. I have popped a SD card into it and I can load the card with PDF files such as the user manual for the gadgets I take with me on vacation. I also make PDF files of other vacation information and load that onto the Nook SD card. That is very convenient.

DW has a Nook (eInk) and I have a Nook Color (backlit tablet). I prefer the Color by far. It is great in a dim room and is fine outside except in direct sunshine. I can also check email, browse, show photos, watch movies, etc. Pretty nice.

We are getting a new iPad on Monday -- that may bump the Nook color to the curb unless DW takes it from me.

Other factors to consider is the eBook selection, pricing and the file formats. Amazon has a proprietary one that can be converted but it might be an extra step you don't want to deal with.

Public libraries are lending out eBooks now (though popular books at big libraries have long waiting lists of people waiting to borrow them). Not sure which eReader works better with public library eBooks.

Finally, high-resolution screen on iPad may be a factor to consider too.

Generally, tablets offer color (if you have to read anything with color) and of course all kinds of other software, including good web browsing. Dedicated e-readers are lighter, cheaper have longer-lasting batteries, limited functionality outside of opening eBooks.

Public libraries are lending out eBooks now (though popular books at big libraries have long waiting lists of people waiting to borrow them). Not sure which eReader works better with public library eBooks.

IMO the kindle is the easiest to use with library books . You just pick out the book check out and it loads directly to my Kindle . I have also found library books readily available . Sometimes I have gotten creative and read books I usually would not choose but I have never been disappointed .

I was using a libre aluratek ereader the other day and while I liked it. It kept shutting down the page every 45 seconds, kind of like a screensaver. It was no problem to turn back on you just had to push the power button and it came right back on. I was wondering if anyone here uses and ereader , which brand do you prefer and which format you think is the best. Kind of a pros and cons thing. thanks
The ereader you used might have a setting to avoid that shut down. The Kindle Fire I bought this month has a sleep setting.

The Kindle Fire price at $200 is pretty good for color. I'm planning on getting a library card in another larger city (within our state) to access their ebooks. Part of the reason was price (cheaper then Ipad) and part was vacation portability + internet (wifi) access. Would work good as a travel guide and for city maps too. Some of the free apps are good but the free books (except maybe classics) are not really to my tastes.

We are planning on getting a Kindle Touch (black & white) for a second reader and for outdoor viewing in bright light.

I have a Nook Simple Touch and it does what I want: it's an e-reader and that's all. I have read books from the library and have downloaded free books from B&N. For a review of the different ereaders and opinions, you can also go to MobileRead Forums and check out the forum: "Which one should I buy?"

The advantage to the Nook is that if you are near a B&N store you can always take your device into the store and get help with it. B&N also has a book group community on it's website. On Fridays, B&N offers a free book, but several contributors pull lists of free books together and post them on the blog on the B&N site. Some are books that have been in print and the publisher is trying to generate interest in the author by putting earlier books out as free for a short time.

That said, however, ebooks at B&N are more costly that the same ebook at Amazon. Something to keep in mind.

-- Rita

Love my Kindle for most of my reading! Also downloaded the Nook app on my tablet so I could read library books that were only available in the Nook version.

You can also download a free Kindle app for the iPad, I have 4 free Kindle books I got that way. But I still don't recommend the iPad as a dedicated reader, there are much better more cost effective choices for that standalone purpose.

We have 2 e-ink Kindles, and a kindle Fire and truthfully, have not bought one paper book since I have become "kindleized". Only problem i have occassionally had, is a few books (even some "best sellers") are not always converted to kindle format correctly, but has been only a minor problem - more prevalent on older books that were converted using OCR software and not proofread well. But if you think about it, all of us have booght paper books too that have had flaws as well, so this is no different.

I like the fact also that I can use my Kindle application on my PCs, as well as my Windows Phone, to read a book, if I happen to forget my Kindle.

But I would never switch away from using e-readers now, the only non-kindle format media I have bought at all, is a few magazines.

I do have a gripe that not all of the old books I want to re-read are yet available in Kindle format, but that seems to be happening (too slowly from me) - for example, not all of James Michner's books, and other great authors, have all their books available in ereader format.

I have not tried any of the other formats since i use Amazon.com so much for other things too (like movie downloads, MP3's etc, Kindle free reading library), and been happy with their service.

This is a constantly changing technology so whatever is a favourite now might be different in 6 months.

I have a Kindle 2 and love it for reading, but that's all it does. As I live in Canada, it does not (yet) allow me to download library books. This means I am now reading free classics on my Kindle (currently, Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens).

I have an iPad 2 and I can download library books to it for free using Overdrive Media Console, which is great. Also, with the Kindle app, I can read all the Kindle books that I have purchased in colour. The clarity is excellent and you can change the appearance of the pages to sepia if you wish. Magazine subscriptions are superb on the iPad: a better experience than reading the paper magazine. The backlit iPad screen is a little more tiring on the eyes and it does not do well in glaring sunlight.

I have also downloaded Overdrive Media Console to my Blackberry Torch and I have read one book on it (a fast read). I was surprised at how easy it was.

My ideal ereader would allow downloading of library books and purchased books, would use eInk in colour, and would be as portable as the Kindle. I'm sure someone's working on it.

My next reader will be a kindle (non-Fire).

My Sony Reader recently bricked itself. Even when it was working, it had tethering issues- you had to do EVERYTHING through the assigned PC.

Also, I received some SONY branded gift cards so I could buy books on my SONY Reader- only to find out you have to have SONY READER gift cards, b/c SONY cards don't work on the SONY READER store!

Had an original Nook (e-ink) and loved it, now I use my iPad with both Nook and Kindle software. I also use Overdrive to download books direct from the library. I was a bit worried about the backlight but find it's not a big deal, plus I love full color magazines on the iPad.

Have both a kindle 3 (for reading) and kindle fire (travel, plus now addicted to scrabble). As others say, e-ink is superb for reading plus like the easy "holdability" of the kindle 3 compared to a heavier device or even a book. An unexpectedly drawback of trying to read on the kindle fire is that the glossy screen held up to your face in sunlight reflects every single neck wrinkle. A real downer. :(

I have both the Color Nook and the latest e-ink Nook. For me, they each have their place. If I can't fall asleep, I like to read in bed, and the backlit Color Nook works out great for a spouse that is sleeping. The e-ink Nook is lighter, has better battery life and is indeed easier on the eyes for long periods of time in a well it room.

There are other things that you can do with the Color Nook that come in very handy. My grand-kids really like the children's books and activities available on the Color Nook.

I have never used a Kindle.

DW got a Nook SimpleTouch for Christmas, as she wished. She uses it all the time, including outdoors. She loves it, BUT...the first one we got was DOA when unpackaged. We returned it to a local B&N for a no-hassle replacement, but that was worrisome. No problems since. Myself, I had picked-up an inexpensive tablet by Vizio at BJs last year for $180 that I use all the time, including as an e-reader. It's no Ipad, but it suits my needs for short money.

I have the Gen 3 kindle, and for fiction it is fine. I hate it for a non-ficiton book that may have charts and tablets. I also do not like the ease of checking other pages, compared to a paper book. I tend to read way more paper books, and also I like the high touch aspect of my library branch, and that is a factor. To many people personal interaction can be a negative.

If I need to buy a book without charts (which is rare) I may buy the Kindle version to save shelf space to conserve space in my small apartment.

Ha

If one were the kind of person to do this, the DRM is more easily removed from the ePub format books than from the kindle books. That is, if you want to download a book from the library and read it at your leisure, a device that can use ePub is an advantage.

Anyone look at those interactive books, with graphics and maybe video and sound as well?

Of course you need a tablet and Apple is trying to push their interactive textbooks and iTune U(university) stuff.

Back
Top Bottom