Which party did you vote for in the last 4 Presidential Elections?

A lot has been said recently about right wingers and left wingers dominating the board, rather than

• Republican 4 of 4

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Republican 3 of 4

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Split 2 to 2

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Democrat 3 of 4

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Democrat 4 of 4

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • Other party mostly/all

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Did not vote

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
lets-retire said:
I'd think having wars run by civilians who think they are military experts, would be the worst situation.
I wonder how ol' Bob McNamara is doing these days. I bet Jane Fonda is interested in how he's making peace with his God...

lets-retire said:
If they are civilians who know they don't know anything about running a war then you can work with them.
It's that "know they don't know" skill that's so hard to come by.

lets-retire said:
Complete military in charge, in my opinion, won't work.
Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush Senior.

Bill Clinton.

Not sure where to put Reagan (in his own mind he was a heroic veteran!) or Bush Junior. Military service can't cure idiocy.

I think national defense is vital to our country. Therefore no one should be allowed to be President unless they have served in the military.

I think our education system is vital to the country. Therefore no one should be allowed to be President unless they have completed a PhD and been a teacher.

I think our economy is critical to the country and it is fueled by corporations. Therefore no one should be allowed to be President unless they have been a CEO of a major corporation. If they don't know how corporations run, they clearly can't run the country.

Clearly one of the great challenges facing our nation is our health care system. Therefore no one should be allowed to be President unless they have been a medical doctor.

Many of today's issues are directly influenced by modern technology. No one should be allowed to be President unless they have been an engineer.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe the reason there are more Democrats on this Board is because Republicans like money more. Perhaps Republicans are more inclined to keep working even after they have enough to live comfortably while Democrats are more inclined to revert to their "Hippie" roots. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My God in heaven, what rock did this moron crawl out from under ?
It's the polite and reasoned tone of discourse like that which makes this board such an enjoyable experience...
Thanks, I aim to please. Ok, a little hot under the collar I guess, but it troubles me
to find there are people so completely out of touch with the fundamental principles that
make this country special, or that just don't take them seriously.

Nords said:
I'm not sure which is more dangerous... putting military types in charge or letting the wars be run by civilians!
I would have to say, clearly the former. However, I agree that the latter can be
problematic. Take Donald Rumsfeld for example. The wisest civilian CinC's and
cabinet members realize their limitations and let the military do things as they
know best (FDR, George HW Bush) and don't try to micromanage for political
reasons (LBJ, Chimpy MacFlightsuit).

sgeeeee said:
I think national defense is vital to our country. Therefore no one should be allowed to be President unless they have served in the military.

I think our education system is vital to the country. Therefore no one should be allowed to be President unless they have completed a PhD and been a teacher.

I think our economy is critical to the country and it is fueled by corporations. Therefore no one should be allowed to be President unless they have been a CEO of a major corporation. If they don't know how corporations run, they clearly can't run the country.

Clearly one of the great challenges facing our nation is our health care system. Therefore no one should be allowed to be President unless they have been a medical doctor.

Many of today's issues are directly influenced by modern technology. No one should be allowed to be President unless they have been an engineer.

I'll settle for a guy that can get through a speech without mumbling and bumbling and someone who can pronounce the word "nuclear" properly. There should be a rule that if you cant say it, you cant use it.

But lets take time from putting food on our families to honor our current commander in chief.

Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny said:
I'll settle for a guy that can get through a speech without mumbling and bumbling and someone who can pronounce the word "nuclear" properly.

Heh! Good luck. Anyone who passes that test is hated by the unwashed masses.

But lets take time from putting food on our families to honor our current commander in chief.

Is Gabe giving you a hard time today:confused::confused:

brewer12345 said:
Heh! Good luck. Anyone who passes that test is hated by the unwashed masses.

Popularity certainly helps at election time, but what does it do for the historical perspective? When Lincoln was president, the general public (helped by the newspapers and his critics) saw him as uneducated country hick. In the election of 1860 he won with only 39% of the popular vote. From my history classes I remember the political cartoons of the day depicting Lincoln as a monkey and the village idiot. Even some of the eulogies after his assasination were thinly veiled lists of all his failings.

Lincoln of course was the one of the presidents who was severely criticized for actions he took in defense of the nation during a time of emergency that were in violation of the Constitution. He was the guy who suspended Habeas Corpus in parts of the country, tried civilians in military tribunals, and ignored the Supreme Court when it ruled he did not have such powers.

The War of Northern Aggression against the secessionist states was against the Constitution, as were many of Lincoln's actions during the war, but ultimately he preserved what would become a great nation. A century and a half later we look at the war as both one of the most noble and most tragic events in our history. And in the same way, future historians will be the judges of the presidents of our time. Both the "unwashed masses", and self-appointed elitists who look down their noses upon them, will be footnotes at best.

Please tell me you are not comparing Lincoln with the current occupant of the white house. The chimp isn't fit to drink Lincoln's urine.

brewer12345 said:
Please tell me you are not comparing Lincoln with the current occupant of the white house.

I'm a history buff and I do see similarities, not between the men, but between their situations and how they were perceived and how they were judged by history. Presidents do things that are seen as popular and unpopular, but history looks at the results and judges differently. Adams used the sedition laws to lock up people (including a congress critter) who criticized his handling of the war with France, Lincoln locked up his critics and tried them before military tribunals, Woodrow Wilson tossed his critics of World War One in jail (look up Eugene Debs), FDR locked up 100,000+ Americans who were of the same race as one of our enemies, Nixon had his plumbers, etc and so on.

I was just pointing out what I thought was something interesting. That, and while I genuinely respect your superior knowledge about many things financial, I'm not such a fan when you refer to your fellow Americans as "the unwashed masses".

Leonidas said:
I was just pointing out what I thought was something interesting. That, and while I genuinely respect your superior knowledge about many things financial, I'm not such a fan when you refer to your fellow Americans as "the unwashed masses".

You prefer "Merkins?"

Sorry, but most people cannot be botheed to think things through. When I start seeing evidence that is no longer the case, I will be more respectful. In the meantime, I imagine I will be the chimpanzee throwing you-know-what.

Unfortunately, the only people you refer to as unwashed are Republicans. Everyone else it seems has taken the time to think things through. That is the same lack of reasoning the ultra-right uses. You know the one that goes, "If you disagree with me you're stupid." ::)

brewer12345 said:
You prefer "Merkins?"

Always been interested in your use of this term:

mer·kin Pronunciation (mûrkn)
n.
A pubic wig for women.

F M All said:
Is Gabe giving you a hard time today:confused::confused:

"You're working hard to put food on your family." —Presidential candidate George W. Bush, Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000

And with regards to Bush and Lincoln, there is an active marketing campaign being put forward by the white house and its staff/advisors to compare Bush to one of our GOOD presidents, good old abe. Believe it or not. Both are being portrayed as "war time presidents who were not popular while they were in office but whose sacrifices were recognized years later".

Perhaps time will bear out this comparison, but I sincerely doubt it.

lets-retire said:
Unfortunately, the only people you refer to as unwashed are Republicans. Everyone else it seems has taken the time to think things through. That is the same lack of reasoning the ultra-right uses. You know the one that goes, "If you disagree with me you're stupid." ::)

Nope. Wrongo. There are plenty of people of all political stripes that qualify under the heading of "unwashed masses." Examples:

- "We've got to get that Saddam Hussein. After all, he was in volved in 9/11." ::)
- "Gee, gas is cheap, so I will go out and buy a new Hummer with a 7 year car loan. Oh yeah, I guess I will have to roll my negative equity into that new loan, too."
- "Let's buy the bigger house we can't really afford. After all, our home is our most important investment and RE only goes up."
- "Extended Warranty? How can I lose?"
- "The president is right about Iran. Let's bomb them back to the stone ages."

I've heard the above or similar uttered by fools of all parties in the past few years. Fools are fools, regardless of party affiliation.

And with regards to Bush and Lincoln, there is an active marketing campaign being put forward by the white house and its staff/advisors to compare Bush to one of our GOOD presidents, good old abe. Believe it or not. Both are being portrayed as "war time presidents who were not popular while they were in office but whose sacrifices were recognized years later".

Perhaps time will bear out this comparison, but I sincerely doubt it.

Where's that puke emoticon?

Merkin, short for 'Merican, sort for American. It is a pollite way to compare my countrymen to something unmentionable.

So we're all fake pubic wigs required by turn of the century strip clubs who objected to shaved nether regions on women?

Hmmm...

This changes everything.

brewer12345 said:
Nope. Wrongo. There are plenty of people of all political stripes that qualify under the heading of "unwashed masses." Examples:

- "We've got to get that Saddam Hussein. After all, he was in volved in 9/11." ::)
- "Gee, gas is cheap, so I will go out and buy a new Hummer with a 7 year car loan. Oh yeah, I guess I will have to roll my negative equity into that new loan, too."
- "Let's buy the bigger house we can't really afford. After all, our home is our most important investment and RE only goes up."
- "Extended Warranty? How can I lose?"
- "The president is right about Iran. Let's bomb them back to the stone ages."

I've heard the above or similar uttered by fools of all parties in the past few years. Fools are fools, regardless of party affiliation.

After reviewing your recent posts and recalling past posts from memory, I'm not buying it. I'm also not going to comment on this again to avoid having this thread closed.

lets-retire said:
After reviewing your recent posts and recalling past posts from memory, I'm not buying it. I'm also not going to comment on this again to avoid having this thread closed.

Hey, is it my fault that the Rethuglicans have succeeded in attracting more of the idiots in the last few years? But its not like they have a monopoly on the trade.

Just think of me as carrying on the tradition of HL Mencken's disdain for his fellow Merkin. I should hope to be 1/10th as amusing.

brewer12345 said:
Anyone who passes that test is hated by the unwashed masses.

I believe what Brewer is alluding to is that it is not fashionable, in the USA
today, to be perceived as "too smart". In particular, in the 2000 Presidential
election and its aftermath, there was a lot of talk that people did not vote for
Gore because he was too smart, he made people uncomfortable because he
seemed so smart, and GW Bush was really the guy you would want to go out
and have a beer with.

This, I believe, is a truly disturbing trend in our society. I think it is not un-related
to the declining number of science and engineering graduates with its obvious
effects on economic competitiveness. Hey, I admit to enjoying things like "Dumb
and Dumber", "The Jerk", etc. But when we're talking about the world's toughest
job ...

As far as GW Bush vs. Lincoln, I DO see Leonidas' point. I think it's possible that
20 years from now Iraq will be a flourishing liberal democracy, a beacon of freedom
to the people of that region, etc. But I think it's extremely unlikely. I say we let
Bush have his troop increase, because really the only way to stop it is to cut off
funding and that could hurt the troops already there. But, if it doesn't work, I say
impeach the jackass.

RustyShackleford said:
In particular, in the 2000 Presidential
election and its aftermath, there was a lot of talk that people did not vote for
Gore because he was too smart, he made people uncomfortable because he
seemed so smart,

Not exactly......... Ole Al made people uncomfortable because he was so arrogant.

youbet said:
Not exactly......... Ole Al made people uncomfortable because he was so arrogant.

Good point. One fewer of those big sighs during that debate,
and we would have been spared the Bush presidency.

Of course, who can really blame him ? I saw this all as a poorly
concealed feeling of "how can you SERIOUSLY consider voting for
this moron [instead of me] ?"

youbet said:

Heh, if you think he was arrogant back then, imagine how he must be now that he has been proven right over and over and over...

brewer12345 said:
Heh, if you think he was arrogant back then, imagine how he must be now that he has been proven right over and over and over...

Yeah, I agree. Too bad he had arrogance as a character flaw as it cost him a lot of votes. I know he tried very hard to hide it. A smart guy, but he rubbed some people the wrong way even though he was making an effort not to. He just couldn't help it.

Confidence and self-assurance look almost exactly like arrogance. They might not have identical definitions, but they are surely on the same page. Yet Bush supporters almost always say that one of the things they admire about Bush is his confidence and self-assurance. I have to tell you, it looks like arrogance to me. :)

Yeah, and thank God that Al Gore invented the internet or else we'd all be writing this stuff out in longhand & mailing it to each other! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom