Who carries a pocket knife regularly?

BUM said:
I got a zillion knives...its a disease.

I know how it is! I've been a 'gatherer' of knives since I was in Cub Scouts way back when!

I almost always carry a pocket knife of some sort. Prefer 'lock-blades' by far! Prefer Case over all other brands. Also, I normally carry a box-cutter with me, since I'm always having to open something or another.

I carry a Leatherman in the car, and have them stashed throughout the house, garage, and shed.....since ya never know when you'll need one!

Also have the handy-dandy USMC combat knife for the great outdoors, and other adventures....best money I ever spent in a military surplus store!!!

And I have an assortment of buck knives, 'butterfly' knives, machetes, bayonets, and that sort of thing. As well as old butcher knives and cleavers, some of which that I use in the garden.

Did I happen to mention that I really like sharp objects!!! :smitten: ( :uglystupid: )

I used to carry a military surplus US Marines folding pocket knife. I stopped carrying it because it was bumping my cell phone in my pocket and scratching it up and turning on the speakerphone option. My wife used to tease me and call it my redneck knife. She also had no problem *always* asking me for it, too. I used it mostly for opening packages. It is very dull so I don't cut myself. I got it new for $3.00.

Mike D.

Attachments

• knife.JPG
    knife.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 5
  • knife.JPG_thumb
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
Hey Mike, I have several of those knives. In the Air Force, we call them CTK knives because they're common items found in an Air Force aircraft mechanic's CTK, or "Consolidated Tool Kit". :) They're not worth a whole lot monetarily, as you mentioned paying $3 for yours, but when you need a knife, they come in handy. I've got a couple I've had for 30 years, and also 2 or 3 that are still new in the plastic from much more recently. I guess the manufacturer has been around a good while. Who knows, maybe even as far back as the Korean War. I know for sure they were around during Vietnam.

Marty

Phwhew, I thought it was just me that had the "disease".

Guys in my unit in the Corps used to make fun of me because I'd pick up a new knife at almost every foreign place we went. Something would be just a little bit different and I would have to have it. Traded most away over the years.

Favorites right now are my LLBean Swiss Army knife carried every day everywhere, the Leatherman that I leave in the motorcycle's toolkit, and my Norwegian reindeer farmer's knife (1/8" thick x 2" wide x 10" long blade) for camping.

Yep

Ever since Cub Scouts - had varying knife collections - the last one went in Katrina. Now have one single blade pocket knife(Ace Hardware generic) on a spare keychain.

heh heh heh - sooner or later the bug will hit again and the number of knives will grow. :D.

Leatherman all the time...never take it off and I use it many many times a day - a very useful tool on a farm. Although currently I am without mine as the TSA man took it away when I tried to go thru the airport security with it on :-[.

Thats what happens when you "never take it off"...you forget its there...oh well, new one should be here soon....

Two of my friends buy collectable knives. Some of them run over $2K. They are not FIREing anytime soon.

Pop had a saying for everything. One in his repertoire was, "I have a pocket knife older than that."

Now that I don't fly every week - I have my Kershaw silver spur ll on my key chain - great little knife I use often.

As most here I have leatherman type "tools" in the ATV, Jeep, truck and bike. You never know when you'll need em!

Hmmm - my 'most fancy' a Charles Dake went in Katrina - a fella who had a shop about 8-10 miles down the road.

heh heh heh

been wearing a Leatherman for about the last 10 years ... broke the tip in 2 of the knives; sooo I paid MORE for a Gerber look-alike. Blades don't lock on the Gerber and the pliers are not needle nose ... so back to the broken Leatherman.

I have my grandpa's little pen knife in my purse... somewhere.

I just got a nice assisted open knife on ebay...came int he mail today...mch thinner and lighter weight than my hefty tnt-tech auto.

I also found an old auto THIN pocket knife i have....its only 2" closed, its fully auto open, and could fit in a wallet it's so thin...good for carrying around day to day...you never know it's there

tryan said:
been wearing a Leatherman for about the last 10 years ... broke the tip in 2 of the knives; sooo I paid MORE for a Gerber look-alike. Blades don't lock on the Gerber and the pliers are not needle nose ... so back to the broken Leatherman.

Have you written to Leatherman? They might just replace those blades for you for free, especially if you tell them you've been carrying it for ten years. Cold Steel replaced the polymer handle on my knife when the formed pocket clip broke off, free.

My friend had a "CIA letter opener" years ago.

There's also this one. New federal regulations state : Carrying this CIA Letter Opener into an airport is a felony offense.

So, don't get too carried away.

They're actually sharp as a razor, but you can't really sharpen them, that I know of, if you "ding" 'em up or anything.

-CC

I usually carry either a leatherman or a marlin spike. They are both great for boating, the leatherman has useful tools and the marlin spike helps loosen knots. Plus, the marlin spike has an easy to use sharp knife good for quickly cutting ropes and lines, which is very useful at times.

i'd liek to snag one of those money clips that fold out into a knife, or leatherman type thing...somethign really thin and small and light

This Eagle Scout doesn't feel quite right without his Swiss Army knife.

Swiss army knife here too. Also have a Cold Steel and Spyderco that can clip on, but they are both serrated blades and I haven't figured out how to sharpen them yet!

Bought my first pocket knife when I was 10. Had to see how sharp it was and cut myself on the inside of my finger were the joint bends--developed a wart there that lasted almost 20 years. Have carried a small pocket knife every since then. Have a cheapy 4-5" Barlow right now-tip broke off on the small end, but makes a perfect screwdriver. When my step-father died, I got his old junk pocket knife and had a jeweler engrave his name, birth date, and death date on it--still have it. Planning on doing the same when my real father dies. My step-father had a big heavy dagger (from WWII ) that we used to play mumbilty (sp) peg with. It was such a great knife that you could go through the whole game 2-3 times and not lose a turn.

I was in the local hardware store about a month ago and passed their knife case. I spotted a really nice Swiss Army knife for a decent price, and latched onto it. Haven't used it much yet....but it's there when I need it!

Then I was at the local farm store about a week later and spotted a neat little job by Columbia that looks like the Leatherman but is only 2.5" long (closed).

I used to carry a military surplus US Marines folding pocket knife. I stopped carrying it because it was bumping my cell phone in my pocket and scratching it up and turning on the speakerphone option.

I solved the problem by not carrying my cellphone, except when I absolutely need to. Heck, I carried knives LONG before they ever invented cellphones! :D

Score: Knives - 1 Cellphones - 0

Back
Top Bottom