Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Where did you get it?
Did you get the serrations added?

i got it on ebay. no serrations. im going to try it without and see how it cuts. i am still up in the air regarding if i like serrations or not. i have been swayed back to good ole plain edge recently after "hitting the jackpot' while sharpening my Blackie Collins Meyerco Speedster. It's soooo sharp, it cuts with very little effort....now if i could only sharpen all my knives the same...id be set

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2007, 04:52 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always had a knife of some sort for fifty years. Now carry a Spyderco Kiwi during the week and a Kershaw or old Buck on weekends.
I almost lost the Spyderco at the Masters. Security would not let me carry it in but I was able to leave it at the check stand.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:43 AM   #63

Knives used to be one of my favorite subjects. I still have a dresser drawer half full of them. Pre-ER I sold off the pricey stuff (Randall's) but I just couldn't part with the Al Mar's they are beauties.

As for serrations... great for sawing, a pain to sharpen. I have a few but prefer a plain clip point.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 AM   #64

got a couple of Kershaws and SAs..a boyscout and a bunch of my Dad's..
don't carry anymore - used to have one chained to my keys - since 2001 too many hassles..
remember bringing a SA into the White House in 2000
Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have a swiss army knife with pretty pink flowers on it.
i just ordered a swiss army on amazon - they didn't have a pink one w/ flowers on it though! although they were on sale.

was at the park last weekend, had to open up a toy package and those things are locked down like fort knox. luckily someone had the swiss army w/ a philips and saved the day. then i decided i needed one! he he

trying to decide if i should keep it in the car or the purse...
Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to carry a little knife on a fish-shaped clip in my shoulder pocket on my paddle jacket when I went kayaking. My motto, never get yourself killed doing something that's going to make the Darwin Awards.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are sites where you can buy the knives taken away at airports.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #68

I used to keep a pocket knife in my hiking pack, but the damn thing kept getting rusty.... so now I keep a small paring knife in my pack. Have a pocket knife in my glove compartment.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:38 PM   #69

Quote:
There are sites where you can buy the knives taken away at airports.
links?

Old 07-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
links?

You'll have to search - it was awhile ago when I found it - it might have been ebay.

They would sell the knives in lots
Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #71

Here's a lot and I mean a lot of SA's for sale on ebay that were confiscated at airports: "A lot of this size represents the unique opportunity to 'stock up' on 175 Victorinox Swiss Army knives--all in one purchase & without having to wait to see if you win. These knives would make a great addition to any collection." BUY It Now Price $339.50

Old 07-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

My FIL in Sweden makes hunting knives, the top one here is one he gave me. The handle has exotic hardwoods from around the world, and includes reindeer horn. It fits snugly into a custom leather sheath.

Unfortunately, this is one of his earlier ones in which he used an inferior blade, and there's a good bit of rust. Any of you knife freaks experts know a good way to remove this? I've tried steel wool, which gets the brown rust off, but there's still a stain.

The bottom one I bought, and I use it for ocean fishing and cutting frozen squid bait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knives.jpg (29.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

theFed,
the Speedsafe opening mechanism just broke on my Needs Work. I have a call into Kershaw to find out about repairs. Unfortuantely, it does not lock open when I open it manually.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #74

Unfortunately, this is one of his earlier ones in which he used an inferior blade, and there's a good bit of rust. Any of you knife freaks experts know a good way to remove this? I've tried steel wool, which gets the brown rust off, but there's still a stain.
End Quote

Hey Al, The best thing to do is use an wire brush on a bench grinder. You can use a fine steel brush to get a shine. Then the best stuff I have ever found for cleaning metal and long term rust control is - Eagle one/never dull wadding polish.

The bottom one I bought, and I use it for ocean fishing and cutting frozen squid bait.[/quote]
Old 07-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #75

Quote:
theFed,
the Speedsafe opening mechanism just broke on my Needs Work. I have a call into Kershaw to find out about repairs. Unfortuantely, it does not lock open when I open it manually.
super. mine should be arriving tomorrow...im soooo thrilled now
Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #76

well, i got my kershaw needs work in the mail yesterday,a nd im blown away by the quality of the kershaw knives compared to even 'high quality for low budget' knives like the boker magnum line. i love it so far!
Old 07-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #77

I got a nice surprise today! I went to a cookout/steak-fry put on by the operator's association I used to be a member of. FREE steak, corn on the cob, baked beans, yada-yada-yada. After eating, they had a drawing for 'door prizes'.....a lot of t-shirts, golf balls, and other rather nondescript items.

The first drawing I got a t-shirt that didn't fit (gave it to my Mom...she liked it!), a calendar (a former co-w*rker liked it, so I gave it to him), a nice box of golf balls (I don't golf, but my neighbor that house sits/watches for us does....gave them to him), and a cap ( I kept it).

The second drawing they let you choose from whatever was left over from the first drawing. My name was the first one called, so I went up and snagged the really nice Leatherman 'Surge' with a leather sheath!!! SWEET!!! This was a 'keeper'...ain't giving it away!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I got a nice surprise today! I went to a cookout/steak-fry put on by the operator's association I used to be a member of. FREE steak, corn on the cob, baked beans, yada-yada-yada. After eating, they had a drawing for 'door prizes'.....a lot of t-shirts, golf balls, and other rather nondescript items.

The first drawing I got a t-shirt that didn't fit (gave it to my Mom...she liked it!), a calendar (a former co-w*rker liked it, so I gave it to him), a nice box of golf balls (I don't golf, but my neighbor that house sits/watches for us does....gave them to him), and a cap ( I kept it).

The second drawing they let you choose from whatever was left over from the first drawing. My name was the first one called, so I went up and snagged the really nice Leatherman 'Surge' with a leather sheath!!! SWEET!!! This was a 'keeper'...ain't giving it away!!!

cool! i will look that one up. i just saw a really cool elatherman at wally world with the three things i really would ever need to fix about anything....blade, phillips, anmd flathead screwdriver
Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #79

just thought i'd bump this to the top as i re-discover my love for knives.

i have been buying some inexpensive, great-for-work knives from smith & wesson lately... my favorite being an assisted open "black ops"...very nice knife for under $30
Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #80

Used to carry a pen-knife (mini swiss army knife) everywhere...and I was travelling all the time. After 9/11, I forget to take it off my keychain, and security took it from me, promising to return it on the other end of the flight. They lost it in the hold, it never came back. I have several others given to me as gifts over the years, but I don't carry them anymore due to airport security and my forgetfullness to take them off before going to the airport.

I have a Leatherman and case that I really like, which will be my companion when I FIRE, 'cuz I'm always tinkering with something when I'm not working in an office..

R