Who carries a pocket knife regularly?

been wearing a Leatherman for about the last 10 years ... broke the tip in 2 of the knives; sooo I paid MORE for a Gerber look-alike. Blades don't lock on the Gerber and the pliers are not needle nose ... so back to the broken Leatherman.
I found an old Leatherman a number of years ago and know that they are guaranteed for 25 years. Inside each Leatherman is a S/N that has the year on it. I ended up emailing them for information, then it cost me just a couple dollars to mail it to them in Oregon, I think. They returned a new (rebuilt) one, not the same one I sent them (I think the new one had CM in addition to inches).
You might do the same.
Here's the link:
Leatherman Warranty Information

I've carried the same Buck Lite Stainless for over 20 years. Feel naked without it!

I'm carrying a Kershaw Needs Work
Kershaw Knives - Ken Onion Needs Work 1820
and a Swiss Army knife since I'm doing a lot of hiking.
Usually the SAK is all I need.

how do you like the Kershaw? Is it assisted open? I think thats what the 'speed safe' refers to....

i have been eyeing that knife for a while...very nice looking....and looks solid too

Thefed,
TheBladeShop-Benchmade knives and Much More. has good prices it was $27.

KERSHAW 1820 ASSISTED OPEN NEEDS WORK LINERLOCK
you can get 1 1/14 seration added for $33
I might buy one get one there.

It is an assisted opener - you push on a bump on the back and it opens.

The blade design gives you more usable blade - I really like it.
I've learned that the metal and sharpening is the most important aspect of a knife. The metal is a good one. The blade length of 3" is great for me also.

There is also a "Random Leek" from Kershaw has a similar blade.
If you are going to get it also buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

BladeForums.com has a ot info about knives.

Thanks for the forum link...i always enjoy a new forum!

I like the knife and might pick one up soon...i dolike the blade design.

I am also researching sharpening kits, such as the one you linked. I have no experience using them though, but suspect that the included cideo will help with that. i currently use a one-piece triangular shaped sharpener...3 bucks from walmart

I was looking at a Randall fighting knife when I thougt I was going to get deployed to Iraq. Luckily I didn't go, but would have sprung for the knife. It would have been a lifelong keepsake when I returned.

I have a buddy who did the same in Viet Nam. Course Randalls were much cheaper back then, but still very expensive...

I work around active military and they can get automatic knives. One of them had some sort of pushbutton benchmade.

I was looking at a Randall fighting knife when I thougt I was going to get deployed to Iraq. Luckily I didn't go, but would have sprung for the knife. It would have been a lifelong keepsake when I returned.

I have a buddy who did the same in Viet Nam. Course Randalls were much cheaper back then, but still very expensive...

I work around active military and they can get automatic knives. One of them had some sort of pushbutton benchmade.

i just began researching the randalls recently..very nice

benchmade is on my to-get list....full autos are very easy to come by now with the internet...no military id needed

I'm carrying a Kershaw Needs Work
Kershaw Knives - Ken Onion Needs Work 1820
and a Swiss Army knife since I'm doing a lot of hiking.
Usually the SAK is all I need.

well, it didnt take much...my first ever kershaw is on the way...the 'needs work' cos me 30 shipped and should arrive ina few days

geez...i think im addicted to knives...ugghh....it gets tough deciding which to carry

well, it didnt take much...my first ever kershaw is on the way...the 'needs work' cos me 30 shipped and should arrive ina few days
geez...i think im addicted to knives...ugghh....it gets tough deciding which to carry

Where did you get it?
Did you get the serrations added?

Where did you get it?
Did you get the serrations added?

i got it on ebay. no serrations. im going to try it without and see how it cuts. i am still up in the air regarding if i like serrations or not. i have been swayed back to good ole plain edge recently after "hitting the jackpot' while sharpening my Blackie Collins Meyerco Speedster. It's soooo sharp, it cuts with very little effort....now if i could only sharpen all my knives the same...id be set

I have always had a knife of some sort for fifty years. Now carry a Spyderco Kiwi during the week and a Kershaw or old Buck on weekends.
I almost lost the Spyderco at the Masters. Security would not let me carry it in but I was able to leave it at the check stand.

Knives used to be one of my favorite subjects. I still have a dresser drawer half full of them. Pre-ER I sold off the pricey stuff (Randall's) but I just couldn't part with the Al Mar's they are beauties.

As for serrations... great for sawing, a pain to sharpen. I have a few but prefer a plain clip point.

got a couple of Kershaws and SAs..a boyscout and a bunch of my Dad's..
don't carry anymore - used to have one chained to my keys - since 2001 too many hassles..
remember bringing a SA into the White House in 2000

I have a swiss army knife with pretty pink flowers on it. :)

:eek: i just ordered a swiss army on amazon - they didn't have a pink one w/ flowers on it though! although they were on sale.

was at the park last weekend, had to open up a toy package and those things are locked down like fort knox. luckily someone had the swiss army w/ a philips and saved the day. then i decided i needed one! he he

trying to decide if i should keep it in the car or the purse...

I used to carry a little knife on a fish-shaped clip in my shoulder pocket on my paddle jacket when I went kayaking. My motto, never get yourself killed doing something that's going to make the Darwin Awards.

There are sites where you can buy the knives taken away at airports.

I used to keep a pocket knife in my hiking pack, but the damn thing kept getting rusty.... so now I keep a small paring knife in my pack. Have a pocket knife in my glove compartment.

You'll have to search - it was awhile ago when I found it - it might have been ebay.

They would sell the knives in lots

My FIL in Sweden makes hunting knives, the top one here is one he gave me. The handle has exotic hardwoods from around the world, and includes reindeer horn. It fits snugly into a custom leather sheath.

Unfortunately, this is one of his earlier ones in which he used an inferior blade, and there's a good bit of rust. Any of you knife [-]freaks[/-] experts know a good way to remove this? I've tried steel wool, which gets the brown rust off, but there's still a stain.

2483d1183305887-who-carries-a-pocket-knife-regularly-knives.jpg

The bottom one I bought, and I use it for ocean fishing and cutting frozen squid bait.

Attachments

• Knives.jpg
    Knives.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 59
theFed,
the Speedsafe opening mechanism just broke on my Needs Work. I have a call into Kershaw to find out about repairs. Unfortuantely, it does not lock open when I open it manually.

Unfortunately, this is one of his earlier ones in which he used an inferior blade, and there's a good bit of rust. Any of you knife [-]freaks[/-] experts know a good way to remove this? I've tried steel wool, which gets the brown rust off, but there's still a stain.
End Quote

Hey Al, The best thing to do is use an wire brush on a bench grinder. You can use a fine steel brush to get a shine. Then the best stuff I have ever found for cleaning metal and long term rust control is - Eagle one/never dull wadding polish.

2483d1183305887-who-carries-a-pocket-knife-regularly-knives.jpg

The bottom one I bought, and I use it for ocean fishing and cutting frozen squid bait.[/quote]

theFed,
the Speedsafe opening mechanism just broke on my Needs Work. I have a call into Kershaw to find out about repairs. Unfortuantely, it does not lock open when I open it manually.

super. mine should be arriving tomorrow...im soooo thrilled now ^-^

Back
Top Bottom