Who doesn't read/watch the news?

...I agree that the news is rarely actionable. But there might be a time when it is. An example might be the outbreak of war which suggests inflation at some later date. That might mean adjusting bond durations.
Outbreak of war? Really? How about Syria and Iraq and Afghanistan? It cannot be Korea because the war never stopped...
Yes, I totally agree. The Canadian sports shows are a little better but moving in the same direction. Big mouth, opinionated, blow hards discussing sports like someone just discovered a cure for cancer. Makes you wonder a little about our society if this is where we are headed? Our preoccupation with sports, “celebrities” and gossip is worrisome.
It is part of the breakdown of polite society. It is also a major reason I record events to skip over the inane color commentary.

What about Mr Wonderful? Another Canadian export!

Yeah, but it's not like someone isn't going to learn about the outbreak of a war soon enough even if they do not "watch" or listen to any news. Economic processes take time. Plenty of time for someone interested to do some research.

My point was that the "news" is so sloppily packaged, spun, and dumbed down it usually contains little useful data - often it's partial or worse flat wrong. Do a little research and you can get key data (almost) directly. I see plenty of links to FRED charts for example. That's data, not really news. The latest point might be news.

Agree with you. I have spreadsheets which I update monthly with the Fed data and a model that uses some of it. The modeling does not use news.

I still like the perspective I get with the Economist but don't read it front to back. But note that is a weekly magazine and my only subscription.

What I can't stand is the celebrity news, Kardashian this and Kardashian that, Kardashian bum, Kardashian topless, Kardashian shopping, Kardashian selfie.....
All because her father was OJ's attorney, and her step mom was married to Bruce/Kate Jenner, and who cares about those four either:confused:?!!! None of them affect the price of tea in China, nor would I waste the watts to watch them.

When I returned to school, close to fifty years ago, the Business Admin building was adjacent to the one housing 'Journalism & RTA' (Radio & Television Arts).....having observed their attendees on a fairly regular basis I have no further questions.

I was at an RTNDA (Radio Television News Directors Association) trade show many years ago. At one of the social gatherings, a good looking young person had a name tag that simply said- "Will do anything for a job."

The introduction of continuous news channels (such as CNN) really changed the game. There was huge demand for sensational numbers grabbing content, and first to air became more important than taking the time to prepare deep content.

When there were three networks plus radio (which was typically affiliated with the three networks) the evening news approach was somewhat respectful and consistent. Now there are so many sources competing for viewers, and many of the sources have decided that shows more like Jerry Springer will gather some ratings. The natural result is that decent news reporting is following the same path as newspapers. Declining numbers and the replacement is amateur hour.

The introduction of continuous news channels (such as CNN) really changed the game. There was huge demand for sensational numbers grabbing content, and first to air became more important than taking the time to prepare deep content.

When there were three networks plus radio (which was typically affiliated with the three networks) the evening news approach was somewhat respectful and consistent. Now there are so many sources competing for viewers, and many of the sources have decided that shows more like Jerry Springer will gather some ratings. The natural result is that decent news reporting is following the same path as newspapers. Declining numbers and the replacement is amateur hour.
Yes, I think you are right. I wonder if the industry can resurrect itself? I guess it depends on us?

I think this issue is driven by and heavily concentrated in the advertiser based media and availability of cable TV.. Subscription media, such as The Economist and some national newspapers, have much higher quality content, and there are fewer. Subscription media has to compete for limited consumer spending, this caps the number of outlets and forces them to work harder to attract and retain a paying customer base.

All forms of advertiser based “news” content compete for advertiser dollars not only with each other but also other media participants - most notably, entertainment and social networks. They don’t need to compete with the subscription news businesses, they really only need to attract enough clicks or viewers to pay the bills and make a profit - which apparently they do quite well.

In other words, there are still good sources for daily reporting and analysis of news and current events, but they cost money.

Last edited:
I don't watch 'regular' news anymore at all. Someone mentioned NPR (National Public Radio). I listen to them sometimes if the topic interests me, since they will do a good job of reporting on the topic, although they willingly acknowledge their left wing bias. As an example, they did a very good job predicting (yes, predicting it, as in before it happened) the 2008/2009 stock market meltdown, with very in depth reporting. I was impressed. By predicting it, I mean they interviewed people who were predicting it, and explaining why, in detail, with examples.

I used to listen to NPR long ago, but ultimately found it to be information overload with a lot of repetition. I’d rather do a quick skim of few NPR headlines and read the articles of interest. I have a news aggregator app that does this, but I find it annoying. Too many headlines! LOL!

My point was that the "news" is so sloppily packaged, spun, and dumbed down it usually contains little useful data - often it's partial or worse flat wrong. Do a little research and you can get key data (almost) directly. I see plenty of links to FRED charts for example. That's data, not really news. The latest point might be news.

When I want to know the CPI - I go straight to the bureau of labor statistics. I know their schedule - that's easy to find out. When I want to know what the Fed is doing I look up their meeting and notes release schedules. I sometimes read their statements. I certainly read their presentation of how they were going to be doing the unwind. I may read a couple of articles that cover what they are doing lately.

Lots of economic articles are written and published that aren't actually "news" - I go back to stuff written several years ago all the time - a lot of it is still relevant and I can look up current data if needed.

Journalism comes on a bunch of different levels. If you want "the world in 30 seconds," tune into your radio at the top of the hour. If you want sophisticated reporting on a specialized topic, you may have to subscribe to a newsletter for hundreds of dollars a year to get what you want.

I spent 20 years as an editor at a metropolitan newspaper. While I like to think we were far out in front of TV and radio news in terms of detail and nuance, we did seek clarity and simplicity in composition so the stories were digestible for someone with a 9th-grade reading level.

That's a basic fact that media deals with (and sometimes exploits): the average American is a bit dim, and half the country is even dumber.

Since commercial news outlets run on ratings, they aim low. Their goal is to attract the maximum number of eyeballs. While Brian Ross' somewhat reckless (IMO) reporting is a hot topic today, quite a few broadcast journalists have gotten the boot not because they did anything wrong, but because their Nielsen ratings didn't measure up.

When I was a lad, commercial TV networks broadcast documentaries that lasted 30 minutes, an hour or even more. Those have gone away in favor of the news "magazine," a series of pieces 15 or 20 minutes long. There's no way most of the leading issues of our time can be dissected in an hour, let alone 20 minutes. But the networks found that that's about how long it took for viewers' eyes to glaze over.

Frontline on PBS took an insightful look at health care costs in an hourlong documentary a couple years ago. A network could do a weekly series of hourlong documentaries on health care and perform a great public service. But inevitably, the questions: Who will watch it? More importantly, who will pay for it? It's all about the Benjamins.

In my former arena, newspapers had a lot of years where they enjoyed broad economic moats, particularly after major markets were winnowed down to one daily. That enabled them to devote a lot of time and money to investigative beats, usually in pursuit of that elusive Pulitzer.Where I worked, a reporter to this day spends nearly all of his time focusing on the environmental condition of the Great Lakes. He does a pretty good job, although I don't always agree with what he writes. Like most investigative journalism, his work has a point of view -- he writes on the assumption that pollution and invasive species are bad. I can go along with that, but I'm sure that somewhere, a reader considers him biased.

When I was on the job, that reporter's work always got reviewed by three desk editors, and the editor in chief would often look in on it too. A lot of copy doesn't get that kind of attention anymore because copy editors were laid off as the revenue stream dried up. These days, generally speaking for newspapers, a fair amount of news gets posted on the web without any editorial oversight at all. Since people are fallible, that makes for a sloppy presentation. I don't even like to look at my old paper or its website today.

I really enjoyed in-depth/investigative journalism while I was growing up, mainly via weekly news magazines, and got a lot out of it.

Thanks for your description of how things have changed.

When I was on the job, that reporter's work always got reviewed by three desk editors, and the editor in chief would often look in on it too. A lot of copy doesn't get that kind of attention anymore because copy editors were laid off as the revenue stream dried up. These days, generally speaking for newspapers, a fair amount of news gets posted on the web without any editorial oversight at all.

... and it really shows! I've seen some pretty poor writing in some fairly well-known US publications.

There's one trade publication that I find hard to read because I'm distracted by the grammar, punctuation and spelling mistakes, as well as the generally poor use of language. Admittedly, it's a world-wide industry with a lot of non-native English speakers. Many of the contributors actively work in this field, and are not full-time writers. I suspect some of the "articles" are just the English-language version of a foreign company's press release.

I have no formal background in journalism, but I've seriously considered volunteering my time to help them with the editing.

I worked briefly in the trade press in the early '80s -- I was the editor for one magazine and helped out on two others. As you noted, almost all the editorial content comes from contributors who are not on the staff and may not have much experience in writing. And, staff can be pretty thin.

I left the business a little jaded. Trades often have a narrow range of prospective advertisers, so the line between editorial and marketing can get blurry. You may find a four-color full-page ad on the back cover, and inside, a valentine of a feature on the advertiser. The story may be legit -- a big expansion, a new product -- but a trade editor needs to keep in mind that he's in marketing as much as journalism.

I used to listen to NPR long ago, but ultimately found it to be information overload with a lot of repetition. I’d rather do a quick skim of few NPR headlines and read the articles of interest. I have a news aggregator app that does this, but I find it annoying. Too many headlines! LOL!
Yes I stumbled on UnRoll which has made life much easier. The most common one that I view is The Smithsonian newsletter. But it also enables me to try new ones without inbox clutter.

I was also looking to the Christian Science Monitor - their articles seemed to avoid the "OMG!" factor, and were generally of pretty good quality. But because of that (I'm guessing), they rarely seem to pop up in news feeds.

-ERD50

I was also looking to the Christian Science Monitor - their articles seemed to avoid the "OMG!" factor, and were generally of pretty good quality. But because of that (I'm guessing), they rarely seem to pop up in news feeds.

-ERD50

I'm looking for a new finance page to look at, since Google has totally destroyed the usefulness of theirs. After reading your message I thought CSM might be a good option, since I agree they tend to avoid some of the sensational aspects of news. But they seem to require a subscription for same day information, which may also impact how often they appear in the news feeds. For general news I don't mind waiting for a few days (weeks, or months), but to see where the markets are I'd like relatively current info. So I'm still searching.

At 5:30 PM my local news has a news in 6 minutes on 6. Brief and concise. That's all I need.

I've gotten so fed up with the crap I see in the news that I'd like to turn it off once and for all. Problem is that I'm a news junky. Who here has pretty much checked out and what's that like? Would you know if a major event happened like a financial meltdown in 2008 or 9/11? Would you care if you didn't know? Is it liberating?

To do so, I think I'd have to cut my cable as well, but I'm on the verge of that too.

News junkie here as well. I grew up watching, paying attention to the news/national politics. I think it was instilled in my in all my schooling that it was my responsibility. But this was pre-internet days, pre-cable days.

As a retiree, I have more time to fill my day with watching, surfing internet news sites.
I've been able to taper off since the 2016 POTUS campaign. I do see how each network seems to have an agenda, so I see through that. I wish I could find a middle of the road, trustworthy source for news.

I would like to try a week without seeing any news but doubt that I could do it unless I head off to the woods in my camper with no access whatsoever.

Last edited:
...I've been able to taper off since the 2016 POTUS campaign.

That was my turning point, too. The campaign ads were just too much, and I stopped listening to the radio. I still followed the news on-line, but now even that's become too much and I have to severely limit what I look at.

How many others found this to be their turning point?

That was my turning point, too. The campaign ads were just too much, and I stopped listening to the radio. I still followed the news on-line, but now even that's become too much and I have to severely limit what I look at.

It was definitely a turning point for me, and it’s only gotten worse. I had already become more discriminating with news, but sad to say now I consume less “news” than ever.

Avoiding news altogether is not the answer, an informed electorate is necessary. It’s still important to keep current and seek out ALL sides of issues, but it’s harder than ever to sort the wheat from the (avalanche of) “news” chaff IME. I wish I knew how it would get better, but I don’t see how yet...

Last edited:

I must admit that definitely convinced me that watching the news was a waste of time. The press did a terrible job covering important issues in the campaign, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom