Join Early Retirement Today

Who drives the END of their dead end street?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who drives the END of their dead end street?

Just something I thought of today. My road is maybe 1/4 mile long, and I'm 5 houses from the end. I can see all the houses at the end. Towards the beginnign of the street though, is a hill...and you can't see very far. I wonder if the guy on the corner has ever even seen my house.....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who drives the END of their dead end street?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #2

Interesting, why don't you ask him?

Old 06-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
Just something I thought of today. My road is maybe 1/4 mile long, and I'm 5 houses from the end. I can see all the houses at the end. Towards the beginnign of the street though, is a hill...and you can't see very far. I wonder if the guy on the corner has ever even seen my house.....
After getting past my initial reaction (thefed needs to get a life...), I realized I am "the guy on the corner". Not only do I live on a dead end road, but I live in a neighborhood with 110 lots, with only one entrance/exit.

Not sure about your guy on the corner, but this one drives or walks down to the end of my road fairly often, an once every couple of weeks I drive all the neighborhood roads (a distance of several miles) to see what's going on.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #4

I used to live at the deadend of a mountain road and my neighbors would drive by occasionally.

There was a big turnout across from my house and a lot of people would turn there after realizing it as a dead end road. I was about a mile off the main road and it was a beautiful winding narrow road with a creek next to it. Very wooded. Lots of Sunday drivers.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dunno. I live in a cul-de-sac...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Dunno. I live in a cul-de-sac...
Shall i start a thread for the cul-de-sac'ers?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:04 PM   #7

Heck, I've lived in the same condo building for the last 5 years and I've never been to the other side of the hallway.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

cul-de-sac (kŭl'dĭ-săk', kʊl'-) pronunciation
n., pl. culs-de-sac (kŭlz'-, kʊlz'-) or cul-de-sacs (kŭl'-).

1. A dead-end street.
2. An impasse: “This was the cul-de-sac the year kept driving me toward: men and women would always be at odds” (Philip Weiss).
2. Anatomy. A saclike cavity or tube open only at one end.

[French : cul, bottom (from Old French, from Latin cūlus; see culet) + de, of (from Old French, from Latin dē; see de–) + sac, sack (from Old French, from Latin saccus; see sack1).]
Old 06-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
Shall i start a thread for the cul-de-sac'ers?
Nah, I just meant that the street is a loop, so there is no "end" to drive to.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We have a lot of cars cruise our cul-de-sac. Half of it is probably turning around, and the other half is probably "Oooh, look at that house!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:03 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
We have a lot of cars cruise our cul-de-sac.* Half of it is probably turning around, and the other half is probably "Oooh, look at that house!"
Heheh, when an unfamiliar car drives down our street, you can watch the neighbors heads turn to follow it. The best is when someone zips down the street too fast (lots of kids play in the street). Sean, the fireman and construction worker who lives across the street and grew up in the neighborhood, not infrequently will stop the transgressor (sometimes by stepping in front of the car) and "suggest" that they slow down a bit. I am waiting for the time when an idiot loops around again too fast and Sean stops them by putting a full 6 pick through their windshield...

- Will Rogers
Old 06-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We have a lot of cars cruise our cul-de-sac.
They're just looking for the house of the famous big-wave surfer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhidbeyandHawaii2006063.jpg (62.3 KB, 48 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb WhidbeyandHawaii2006063.jpg_thumb (25.7 KB, 0 views)
Indexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Heheh, when an unfamiliar car drives down our street, you can watch the neighbors heads turn to follow it.* The best is when someone zips down the street too fast (lots of kids play in the street).* Sean, the fireman and construction worker who lives across the street and grew up in the neighborhood, not infrequently will stop the transgressor (sometimes by stepping in front of the car) and "suggest" that they slow down a bit.* I am waiting for the time when an idiot loops around again too fast and Sean stops them by putting a full 6 pick through their windshield...
Are you advocating Vigilanteism?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I drive to the end of my dead end street/cul-de-sac. I live there.

Our cul-de-sac isnt a large loop, its just a big circle/court with a small access road. But we have a whole lotta people that pull in, turn around and pull out. We always wonder what they're up to, as you can clearly see before turning in that the road goes nowhere.

Since one neighbor just had a car stolen right out of the driveway and theres been a little bit of petty theft lately, the neighbors are a little more watchful and people coming in for a sight-see might find the place a little less welcoming.

We all installed high power motion detecting security lights on the front of our houses last week, all pointing at the middle of the cul-de-sac, so anyone pulling in at night is going to think they've just crossed the border and been detected by the border patrol.

Now I just need to hook up a camera and a recorder so their expressions of surprise and joy can be recorded...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non sequitur
Are you advocating Vigilanteism?
Don't be an ass. *Sean will do as Sean will do. *I would actually say he is one of the most community-oriented people I know. *He is a framer (union carpenter), but has been a member of one of the local volunteer fire houses for 18 years and is now a Lieutenant or Captain of the house (can't remember which). *He would give any one of his neighbors the shirt off his back. *You know why he and several of the guys he grew up with in my neighborhood became firemen? *Because they watched the mayor's house burn down and they grew up knowing they never wanted to see and friend and neighbor's house burning down again.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Don't be an ass. *
Forgive me for ass king.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper Bunny
We all installed high power motion detecting security lights on the front of our houses last week, all pointing at the middle of the cul-de-sac, so anyone pulling in at night is going to think they've just crossed the border and been detected by the border patrol.
Your own version of the Neighborhood watch; pretty smart to work as a group to protect your neighborhood.. I wonder how common that is these days. I don't know most of my neighbors and I've lived here 2 years.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Thats the thing, this little 7 home cul-de-sac is a nice little island. We all know each other, all the kids play out in the middle of the street together, etc. I've always been acquainted with my neighbors, but this is a tight bunch.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote